Webcam Advice

Aura

Hey folks, I find myself in need of a couple of webcams now that my relationship will be long distance for the next 9 months (one for me, one for the gf). I simply don't know very much about webcams and am not looking for anything out of the ordinary but I was still hoping someone could share an experience or two just to give me an idea. The cams won't be used for anything beyond basic web chatting (gchat and skype probably). Need sound for both as well, but I assume that comes standard with most. Budget is probably no more than $50 per webcam.

Here's one that intrigued me earlier today.

Thanks much for any/all help.

The cams won't be used for anything beyond basic web chatting (gchat and skype probably).

... well, of course, there's doing the NASTAY! :o

Someone had to say it!

Brian, I'm pretty sure I have a few cams sitting around the house and office that I'm not using. They're a few years old, though, and one of them is USB1. But the price is right. I can send them your way if you want.

I use this Cam on my Mac (interestingly enough, a black hole didn't immediately appear under my desk like you would have expected):

https://www.microsoft.com/hardware/digitalcommunication/productdetails.aspx?pid=008

How well does that run? I presume that the auto-focus etc. doesn't work? Any comparison to the built in iSight. I've found the current built in iSights to be not great quality in a best case scenario, however extremely consistent in frame rate and picture quality across a wide range of lighting conditions.

How well does that run? I presume that the auto-focus etc. doesn't work? Any comparison to the built in iSight. I've found the current built in iSights to be not great quality in a best case scenario, however extremely consistent in frame rate and picture quality across a wide range of lighting conditions.

The focus does indeed work. The whole thing works quite well. I don't have any built-in cameras, so I cannot comment on that.

• 2 weeks later...

Its probably because its still about $80, which was higher then the original goal of $50. If you plan to record videos at your computer with it, it will be nice to have the 1080P feature. Currently, the highest chat quality of any service is 720P, which is tough for many. The fastest home internet service in NC for 90% of its residents doesn't meet the 1MB per second upload requirement to even do that sadly (roadrunner). It might be overkill unless your really trying to future proof.