Custom built PC

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damn good luck with it, i was going to suggest going the i7 930 route as i love mine but the i5 760 is a damn great cpu itself! if you are buying windows always buy the oem version (89$ for home x64). Windows is a breeze to install. after you put it all together and plug everything in just turn on the computer and insert the windows disc..all Should be good from there.

make sure you pick up a static mat before you start putting the pc together. i only remember needing a good philips screw driver (though this case seems to use lots of thumb screws). might want to install a cheap 120 fan on the front and mount your hdd right in back of it to keep the hdd cool, should cost you nomore then $8 for a decent fan. hdd's get pretty hot so its never a bad idea to have a fan infront of them, plus the cool air from the front fan will help keep the internels cool also.

btw, a bit off-topic, but I reme,ber I bought some Arctic silver thermal compound and didn't use up all of it. This was about four years ago. I'm pretty sure I have it in my big ol' box of misc stuff. Anyhow, does that shit expire? I wouldn't think so, right? I mean, if it did, we'd have to be "re-gluing" the chip all the time, no?

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty straight-forward, eh, GPH? I always try to steer friends/family to custom builds because (1) you get more for the money and (2) I enjoy putting them together, opening up all the little boxes, running cables, etc.

I see why those who get started on DIY audio get hooked! It's fun putting shit together (when it works at least!)

Looking good there, GPH! How about some action shots (i.e. game screenshots)?

It was straightforward indeed, just plug and play and since all the connectors are different, it's pretty much impossible to screw up. The Antec 300 case was very easy to work with plenty of space to put everything so I didn't encounter any trouble. One thing I might change though is the stock top and rear fans which are controlled by Low-Medium-High manual switches, I'd prefer something I can plug on the motherboard.

I've been playing some Mass Effect 2 and Half-Life 2 (old I know, but my laptop couldn't handle it) and it's definitely a lot of fun to be able to play recent games with graphics at high. I'll be buying SC2 this week, it's a good thing I'm not too busy this month. :P

It was straightforward indeed, just plug and play and since all the connectors are different, it's pretty much impossible to screw up. The Antec 300 case was very easy to work with plenty of space to put everything so I didn't encounter any trouble. One thing I might change though is the stock top and rear fans which are controlled by Low-Medium-High manual switches, I'd prefer something I can plug on the motherboard.

I've been playing some Mass Effect 2 and Half-Life 2 (old I know, but my laptop couldn't handle it) and it's definitely a lot of fun to be able to play recent games with graphics at high. I'll be buying SC2 this week, it's a good thing I'm not too busy this month. :P

I'm forever spoiled by PC gaming myself. I do have a PS3 that I use for the occasional odds and ends like a Red Dead Redemption, which I sorely hope Rockstar reconsiders and brings to the PC down the road, but otherwise it's all PC for me.

A good large case is the best way for a first-timer. It gets rid of added fear of breaking something because your hands can't reach, etc etc, so you're just stuck figuring out how to connect the pieces (which, as you said, is a no-brainer).

That said, I have always been a fan of Antec cases. By the way, if you want quieter fans, you might wish to look into the Noctua brand.

you might wish to look into the Noctua brand

Normally I would say they're to expensive for what you get but NCIX has the low noise 120mm (NF-S12B ULN) fans listed for 2 for $24.52 (CAD). Which is a pretty nice deal.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=47335&vpn=2x%20NF%2DS12B

The problem is the Noctua 140mm fan (that is not an actual 140mm fan) is $22 (CAD) and it was a little to noisy for me.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/X86inside/fanz.jpg

Edit: the little "adapter brackets" that came with the 140mm fan did come in handy when it was replaced though.

• 2 weeks later...

Last upgrade for a long while on my machine, I just added 2 Noctua 120mm fans and a Coolermaster Hyper 212+. It runs super cool now, 18C on idle and 40C under 99% load and fans are surprisingly quiet, compared to 30C idle before and 75C under load with the stock Intel cooler and Antec case fans. Very satisfied for the ~70$ this upgrade has cost me.

• 4 months later...