Ripping my Parents' Music Collection and Making it Accessible WIHOUT needing a PC?

I would like to rip my parents' CD collection and "share" mine with them. They already have a multi-room setup, so I wouldn't need to put wireless speakers, etc. all over. Unfortunately, it's a B&O setup and you know how friendly they are with non-B&O gear. :palm:

Regardless, I figured out a way that I can hang a network audio player off the B&O system and make it work. But here's the thing, I want to get my parents something like a Sonos or Duet (or anything else people can recommend) and set it up such that they don't have to use the computer. Can this be achieved via NAS, so that the Sonos or Duet or similar would just talk to the NAS and we could eliminate the computer from the equation? My parents fuck up computers all the time, so it's pretty much out of the question unless MAYBE I got them a cheap netbook, but I would prefer not to.

Basically looking for digitial audio server for (nice and much-loved) dummies here.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and therein lies the rub. No TV in the area(s) where most of the listening would be done, and they don't have iphones or itouches. But I hear what you're saying. An AppleTV, maybe with a small monitor and maybe I convince my dad to get an iPod touch. Still, sounds like it's getting a little complicated. Is the Duet/Sonos stuff not suited to this?

I dunno, I just know that once it's in place, even my 4 yr old can make it work. And with the itouch, you don't need the monitor.

You haven't met my parents. They must have some sort of EMF properties. Place a computer (or computer-like) device within 3 feet of them and they will somehow fuck it up.

EDIT: Regardless, I am going to price out your suggestion.

I know that Squeezebox server (or whatever it is called now) can be installed directly on some NAS, meaning you won't need another computer (NAS is a computer, after all) for Squeezebox chain to work. I don't know the details of how to go about this, though (i.e., I'm absolutely no fucking help).

I personally like Dan's idea the best, especially considering how flakey Squeezebox can be with music library.

check out some of the netgear ReadyNAS devices, you can install a version of the slimserver (squeezebox server software) directly on some of them, so there'd be no need for a pc other than initial setup.

Edited by tkam

Dan, the more I look at it, the more I like your idea. It also helps me in my effort to make my parents all Apple. A few more questions:

- I assume I can hang additional drives off the Apple TV to expand storage, is that correct?

- Does the new AppleTV allow you to attach a hard drive for music storage?

- What are the biggest drawbacks to the AppleTV approach, if any?

you can't use the new appletv, it's made for streaming so no you can't connect an external hd to it. you'd have to get the older appletv.

or go with my readynas idea, there are iphone/itouch apps available for controlling squeezeboxes as well if that is partly what sold you on the appletv idea.

Dan, the more I look at it, the more I like your idea. It also helps me in my effort to make my parents all Apple. A few more questions:

- I assume I can hang additional drives off the Apple TV to expand storage, is that correct?

Nope

- Does the new AppleTV allow you to attach a hard drive for music storage?

Nope

- What are the biggest drawbacks to the AppleTV approach, if any?

That it's limited to 160gb per appletv, unless you hack it, that it's limited to apple supported formats, and that it's apple.

You COULD use the new appletv in combination with a mac mini or imac stashed somewhere as a server. Then you can just stash that in a closet somewhere, and your parents wouldn't have to know they have a computer as part of the solution ;)