Ripping my Parents' Music Collection and Making it Accessible WIHOUT needing a PC?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Squeezebox Touch with a USB hardrive connected directly to it. My total cost was under $350, all new hardware. I never even have to have a computer on. The hardrive is 1.5 TB all lossless no lossy.

The Touch interface rocks. And it's not limited to 16/44.

I switched from using SlimServer on my desktop PC to connecting the USB drive directly to the Touch not too long ago. I like to think I'm lowering my energy bill just a little, but running a 50 watt Class A speaker amp probably isn't helping :angel:

Edited by deepak

Squeezebox Touch with a USB hardrive connected directly to it. My total cost was under $350, all new hardware. I never even have to have a computer on. The hardrive is 1.5 TB all lossless no lossy.

The Touch interface rocks. And it's not limited to 16/44.

Will the squeezebox bridge the HDD to the network so that files can be used on other computers?

Will the squeezebox bridge the HDD to the network so that files can be used on other computers?

I'm not sure if it can. Perhaps Grahame or other SB aficionados might know.

What a few people on other forums are doing is running a single drive NAS (ie QNAP TS-110 around $180) with SlimServer loaded on it so they can use the NAS with multiple computers or Squeezebox devices.

Edited by deepak

What do you know, I just tried streaming music from the Touch/USB drive combo to my laptop and it works. FLAC 16/44 files.

The Touch interface is super easy to use. If they can use an iPhone/iTouch to play music then the SB Touch isn't that much different. You also have access to a pant load of radio stations (and the radio station logo is displayed too), which is what I use a lot of the time.

Edited by deepak

As it hasn't been mentioned yet, I'll link Revolutionary HiFi - Brennan Home Page.

This device is proving to be a big hit with the not-tech-savvy middle agers and up in my wider social net.

Self contained ripper and storage (absolutely no need for a computer, usb drive, network etc)

160 - 500GB inside.

Can use additional external storage.

Ipod compatible.

Aux input.

Built in speaker amp.

This guy is going from strength to strength, at least in the UK. And Sterling is still in the shitter which is good for export.

All the appletvs have the same interface. It's not like the itunes interface exactly, it's more optimized to work with a remote control. And the remote interface for it on the ipod touch is very itunes like. You get an almost identical interface on the mac if you use front row with it (the remote control interface...aim an apple remote at a mac and press menu, and you'll see it).

Not iTunes, but I think it has everything you need: simply connect USB hard drives to it (no size limit), can connect to a network, brings a remote, all you need to do is add a screen.

WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player ( WDBABX0000NBK ) (Netflix support)

WD TV Live HD Media Player ( WDBAAN0000NBK ) (no Netflix support)

I just got one (the non-Plus version) for $60 shipped (refurbished unit from Buy.com). Amazon also has some refurbs right now too, but even new units aren't that hard on the wallet.

Audio - MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS

Playlist - PLS, M3U, WPL

Plus you can play movies/view photos, which is a family-thing most people do anyway.

Maybe this might be a solution? :confused:

Dan, the more I look at it, the more I like your idea. It also helps me in my effort to make my parents all Apple. A few more questions:

- I assume I can hang additional drives off the Apple TV to expand storage, is that correct?

- Does the new AppleTV allow you to attach a hard drive for music storage?

- What are the biggest drawbacks to the AppleTV approach, if any?

The 160GB limit may be a problem. Dammit.

Gang, does the "old" AppleTV have full-blown iTunes on it?

Ok, this just in. Looks like my parents are pretty much sold on iTunes as the interface. So it will need to be an Apple solution of some sort, I think.

I use software from aTV Flash -- The Ultimate AppleTV Enhancement that allows plugging in a huge external USB drive to expand the Apple TV storage. I used a 500Gb external drive with my 30Gb Apple TV until the thing died after 3.5 years. I have not needed to install ATVFlash on my remaining 160Gb ATV, but it should work. Some places can simply install a bigger drive right inside the ATV if you want. I still have a working 160 Gb Apple TV and I'm okay with the amount of storage. You can get about 500 albums in Apple Lossless onto one.

You can use the Apple TV 160Gb as a stand alone music and video player controlled by the little Apple remote, and the interface is easy to use. But you still have to use a computer with iTunes to load most of the content onto it, and also to back up movies and TV shows that you buy through the Apple TV. If you don't sync it with iTunes and you buy videos through the ATV, then if the ATV dies you can't retrieve your purchases. I have never tried to buy music on the Apple TV, and don't think it supports that. The newest Apple TV only streams music and video from a computer or the internet with no storage, which I think is a mistake. I might end up buying a second 160Gb model before they are all gone.

You can use an iPod Touch or iPhone to control the Apple TV, so it can be used without a monitor or TV to serve music to your stereo system.

The Squeezebox touch with USB hard drive still sounds like a reasonable alternative to the 160Gb Apple TV.