Big Green Egg-Case

tyrion

• 3 weeks later...

not really in the market for one of these, but was curious as to whether or not this is a good deal...local place is offering demo eggs that are only going to be used once at an eggfest/class...

Demo EGG includes

Nest (2011 model with locking legs)

EGG (Large 2011 model)

Ashtool

2 EGG 101 grilling class tickets

$775 + tax...worth mentioning to friends?...& has anyone here attended egg classes?...

thanks...

• 2 months later...

Well, Orchard Supply Hardware has a newer defeatured version of the Big Steel Keg on sale after 15% off 4th O July sale for about $370 after taxes. (OSH Version doesn't have rolling base, no shelves, stainless steel grate rather than cast iron, but otherwise exactly the same, other than the exterior color). I can always buy the Cast Iron grate later.

Since we have two trees overhanging right into our balcony and wood everywhere, an insulated grill is the way to go. The OSH version of the Big Steel Keg seems to be a much nicer price. Although I don't get the whole lighter weight thing? How much does a Big Green Egg weigh? Because I had a guy at OSH on the phone hold one for me to pick up later. I'll need help since it apparently weighs about 115lbs?! Definitely insulated heavily.

-Ed

Edited by Edwood

Finished assembling the Lil Grill Bot. Bought a small bag of Mexican Mesquite lump charcoal from Smart and Final and lit her up. (Man the chunks are huge, had to break them up a bit)

It's been a long time since I've done charcoal grilling, let alone Lump Charcoal. Wow, I was not expecting the sheer amount of snap, crackle, and pop and all those sparks flying out, and even when shut, sparks went flying out the bottom vent. I have a concrete balcony, so no worried there, but there's a big tree overhanging my Balcony, and all wooden eaves and stuff around. Kept a fire extinguisher handy, but nothing else caught fire, just a nice micro pre-4th O July fireworks show.

I followed the directions, but it seems like a really really tiny amount of charcoal.

Here's how much I had in when the fire just started to die down. The charcoal never went out, it stayed hot and red all the time until I closed both vents to shut it all down. Never had to add any additional charcoal.

Edwood_BigSteelKeg-BSK2000-1stCook_01.jpg

Started off small and easy, two NY Strip Steaks. Overcooked them a bit for my tastes, but they were so completely evenly cooked. Then did some ears of corn.

Edwood_BigSteelKeg-BSK2000-1stCook_02.jpg

I got the temps up to around 550-600F according to the BSK's built in thermometer. With both Vents wide open, it never got any hotter, so I couldn't get those burned in grill marks. I guess I need to add more charcoal to acheive a higher temp? I'll definitely have to get a Maverick ET-732 soon.

Not bad for the very first grill. A nice warm up to the day before the 4th.

I'll build my confidence up with easy ones like steaks. Then move onto trying my first low and slow, probably pork shoulder, for a mouth watering pulled pork fest.

Edited by Edwood

Nice Keg! I have the older model. Did you use charcoal or lump? The only time I have any sparks flying is when using my torch to light cheaper lump coal. Once it's lit, no more sparks. If I use Green Egg lump or other higher quality lump, then the sparks are minimal when firing it up. Once it's going, I get smoke coming out the top and no sparks.

Thanks, Mike.

BTW, Happy Birthday a bit early. ;)

I used cheap Mexican Mesquite Lump Charcoal from Smart and Final. Sparks died down mostly the fire was done fully burning, but there were a few strays shooting out here and there.

If I didn't hate Walmart around here so much, I'd get the Royal Oak lump charcoal.

I got some high temp Permatex Ultra Copper RTV and sealed up the top and bottom vents. Going to let it cure for a day or two, and then I'll be ready for some Low and Slow action.

Probably will start with pork shoulder for starters. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

^^Listen to them, Haj, unless your wife likes fiddling with charcoal and tending fires and generally futsing around rather than just turning it on and cooking or smoking.  I personally have used my Traeger pellet grill/smoker just like any other grill with good results.  The only limitation is indirect heat and lack of very high temps.  It gets up over 500 deg but you need direct flame for some things like for searing meat.  Ideal situation is a Traeger plus a small cheap gas grill with decent flame, but I would pick the Traeger if it had to be one or the other.

I tried to find a Dukane but they were sold out everywhere.  I tend to use my propane grill more than the egg for most everything only because it is easier to use.  I don't have a real egg but it works the same.  i tried to smoke with it but it was way too smokey.