Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

I've tried a few other roasters and the coffee and customer service from Old Bisbee has been the best. I order Monday and Ihave it on Wednesday foe $15/pound shipped for 2 pounds.

Yup, I'm hooked on Bisbee. It doesn't bother me in the least to desire a cup of coffee every morning.

• 4 weeks later...

I like Dan's cold brew method. Gotta try that soon.

As for my house, the favorite is Kona Peaberry from The Coffee Store on Maui. Pretty amazing. When we cheap-out and get something local in the Seattle area, we opt for Seattle's Best. I've gotten used to Starbucks and their strong roasting style but it's not my favorite. And I'm still pissed at Starbucks for buying a handful of small coffee stores a few years back, then promptly closing them.

I just started getting coffee from Tonx. Great coffee, always on time, with a nice perk for joining—if you're in the market for a grinder. I can't for the life of me remember how I found them, but I love them now. The FAQ and About/Team pages should give you a good sense of what they're about.

I make my pourover coffee with a Kone filter (expensive, but a one-time cost that produces no waste) and a Chemex, unless I'm using my Nespresso machine (a guilty pleasure).

Edited by cutestory

Are you planning to make espresso?

Yes, I'd like to, but I need to do some research into a decent, cheapish espresso setup. In that vein I'd welcome suggestions as well. Really I'd like a grinder that can consistently do a course grind for cold-brew but also handle finer stuff for drip and even espresso when necessary.

If not there is very little difference between my cheapy Mr Coffee and Bodum Bistro for just coarse grind that goes into the Aero. For consistent fine grind the Bistro is really nice.

Cool, thanks.

I'm a big fan of the Virtuoso.
Yeah, I've seen that one recommended a lot but I haven't been able to justify ~$230 for a grinder, yet...

If you don't mind a bit of manual labor—which adds a little time to the ritual—there's always the hand grinding route, which can get you consistent quality at a much lower cost.

The Camano Coffee Mill is beautiful, functional, and consistent; it takes a bit of time to dial it in at first, but at $65 retail it's one of the cheapest ways to get a high quality burr grinder, and will give you better results than any of the cheapie blade mills. I had a Kyocera too, and that one's about $45—but doesn't have half the character.

Nate,

I have a Capresso Infinity Burr grinder and I like it. I looked into grinders at some point but decided I (like you) wasn't ready to spend $250+ on a grinder. You could also keep a watch on the Baratza refurb store (I've seen the Virtuoso on there but it seems to not be in stock right now).

http://www.baratza.c...n&category=RFRB

Edited by shellylh

If you don't mind a bit of manual labor

Actually, in this case I do mind it. I'm pretty old-school, but I'm not going to start hand churning butter anytime soon.

Nate, I have a Capresso Infinity Burr grinder and I like it. I looked into grinders at some point but decided I (like you) wasn't ready to spend $250+ on a grinder. You could also keep a watch on the Baratza refurb store (I've seen the Virtuoso on there but it seems to not be in stock right now). http://www.baratza.c...n&category=RFRB

Thanks Shelly, I'll continue to do some research and probably dump a little $$ into something soon.

For the espresso machine I think I have an 850XL or 860XL, I have not tried any others, but that machine makes damn good espresso, but does need to be babied and cleaned often.

When I was doing my research it didn't sound like there were many great cheaper machines so I just went for it.

I can try out the grinder and let you know how it is, I had owned the Bodum beforehand so I have never used the one in the Breville

Anyone had Tanzania Peaberry or Timor Maubesse from OBR?

Actually, in this case I do mind it. I'm pretty old-school, but I'm not going to start hand churning butter anytime soon.

Understood.

If you're willing to try out the coffee from Tonx.org, they have deals for members on a range of new Baratza grinders, at better prices than I've seen anywhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am happy with my Capresso Infinity. I started out with a manual grinder and while it may have been more consistant, I like to multitask while I am making coffee.

I tried Bisbee Roasters, and I really liked the Bali Blue Krishna. What other coffees from there do you recommend?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking about trying a siphon, anyone do this?

I'm mostly a pourover (Chemex+Kone) guy. I don't mind a little complexity—after all, I'm already weighing my coffee and my water—but after checking out Intelligentsia's guide to siphon coffee, I was suddenly less interested, considering I get a great cup of coffee with a lot less hassle. I've asked some of my coffee nerd friends about it as well, and they have generally waved me off, and these are hardcore espresso types.

Edited by cutestory

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone using the Aero prefer a finer grind? I've been using my Bistro to make finer grind, but not quite as fine as espresso.

Using a single scoop with water at 190 F to the 1.5 mark, letting it brew for about 10 seconds before stirring then plunging. I'm finding I'm getting more full flavored American style coffee vs making medium grind in the Bistro. One thing worth noting is the rate at which the coffee passively passes through the filter is greatly reduced with the finer grind. There is also more crema after extracting. YMMV with 2 scoops, I've been drinking single since it makes me much less jittery.