Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

been adding some dark roast back into daily grind (pun intended) to have some lower acidity in my midday/afternoon drink. i did Old Bisbee Bali Blue last order and yeah, it's just too dark and unruly to work with in pour-over and challenging even on aeropress.

i decided this time to try Bisbee's current El Salvador and it is absolutely a better brew for the v60. it's a pinch too dark still, but has a ton less overt bitterness and more balanced tartness. this is close to ideal for a light roast counterpart in the morning.

• Like 2

So I tried the WhistlePig barrel-aged coffee that comes in their seasonal gift pack.

MISTAKE!  Lollers

I've taken to throwing one or two beans in with whatever else I'm brewing, because I do enjoy a small amount of that flavour, but a pot made entirely out of that is just way too overwhelming.

1 or 2 beans of WhistlePig barrel aged (doesn't even have a roast date)

1/2 Zeke's Mexico Chiapas

1/2 Mom's Organic Market Nicaraguan

...is pretty darn delicious.

https://momsorganicmarket.com/moms-coffee/

https://zekescoffee.com/products/mexican-chiapas-z-cup

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

it’s not clear if our good friend @grawk has actually started his roasting service but when i received this today it sure felt on-par with any current roaster i use (and i have used quite a few in 2020)...

06376976-F100-4CF6-B33C-36BC3768B5DE.thumb.jpeg.09965e31c463f784af900e4156f81969.jpeg

starting with the Brazil. this is a clean, clean cup on the v60, lesser acidity (above room temp) in favor of nutty and spicy and tea-like attributes. i find this stupidly drinkable.

7D1017A9-9F70-4406-8CB7-CC3AC5619C3D.thumb.jpeg.43fb95d02ad207b9821796ff2feff36b.jpeg

A8E5571A-5DF9-4E48-BE3C-14ACAAFFCAF2.thumb.jpeg.80922ff7bffc99116e28b7e89c5e79fe.jpeg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Agreed, I'd help keep Dan in business.

On a related note, any thoughts on the Orphan Espresso Apex grinder?

spacer.png

I don't make espresso at home, but I do drip through a Bonavita machine as well as siphon and pourover.  Through my Baratza Encore grinder many coffees taste pleasant but similar.  I'm not getting the same flavor notes I am reading about, and as with all other pursuits in my life I believe it is because I've not yet spent enough money.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/2/2021 at 4:42 AM, Sherwood said:

I own an Orphan Espresso Lido E; the Apex promises to grind faster due to its gear box, so it may circumvent the central issue of using a manual grinder (namely that day to day can be a bit of a hassle). Orphan seems pretty solid in terms of grind quality, I just think it'll be good to know what you're signing up for in terms of manual vs. electric.

On 2/2/2021 at 4:42 AM, Sherwood said:

spacer.png

I don't make espresso at home, but I do drip through a Bonavita machine as well as siphon and pourover.  Through my Baratza Encore grinder many coffees taste pleasant but similar.  I'm not getting the same flavor notes I am reading about, and as with all other pursuits in my life I believe it is because I've not yet spent enough money.

Is that hand grind? Doug would love that, as he doesn't like electricity. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Dan, I grabbed some fancy coffee. The two week shipping time to Moldova can’t be good, but local roasters are not killing it.

In other news, just got a clever dripper in the mail and I’m in love. Great balance of good flavor and simplicity.

• Like 3

I finally found a local roaster that in my humble opinion is at the top of the coffee I have enjoyed.  Memli and the gent does a nice job not only of sourcing and roasting but also attempting to educate his patrons systematically.  

Anyhoo, posting because I purchased something special...for me at least.  It was about as much as I've paid for coffee and it reminded me of the Yemeni very cherry forward coffee grawk recommend from Levercraft in Austin.  It is so fricken rich. A more progressive process to get to the final product (see below if curious).

One thing I very much like is the information included with each bag.

HS

IMG_5511.thumb.jpeg.a80aa8806dac69a6c2bbbbdbd4d5e62a.jpegIMG_5513.thumb.jpeg.371d5e197057edc44b91b9714bb7be46.jpegIMG_5512.thumb.jpeg.2951468b5e14ce4255bc4265f752628c.jpeg

• Like 3

On 3/3/2021 at 7:02 AM, Sherwood said:

Thanks, Dan, I grabbed some fancy coffee. The two week shipping time to Moldova can’t be good, but local roasters are not killing it.

In other news, just got a clever dripper in the mail and I’m in love. Great balance of good flavor and simplicity.

I was interested in the clever because I can't get my French press to work without some sludge at the bottom. The clever is immersion also, so I figure it'll maintain some of the oil unlike my pour over. I may pick one up after your impressions, thanks.