Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

4 hours ago, robm321 said:

I was interested in the clever because I can't get my French press to work without some sludge at the bottom. The clever is immersion also, so I figure it'll maintain some of the oil unlike my pour over. I may pick one up after your impressions, thanks.

Not for nothing but usually the solution is a better grind.  For starters, I'd give a slightly coarser grind a shot, assuming you're grinding your own.  Next step would be to pour through a fine mesh filter or strainer.  I still end up with just a bit of sludge in the bottom of my French-press produced coffee but I don't find it bothersome.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 8:58 PM, robm321 said:

I have tried a courser grind (I grind my own), but I hadn't thought about pouring through a fine mesh filter. I'll give that a shot.  

Yeah, some sludge is virtually unavoidable on a french press. If you're interested in something in-between that and a paper filter (where the oils and resulting body do get reduced) I've heard good things about cloth filters. I found out about this through James Hoffman's channel; here's a link -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr_I3ZVKKb4

OTOH you could consider experimenting with sifters, but cloth filters will be more worth it IMO.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think I have my Flair dialed in. The pressure gauge is a must have. This was a delicious shot made with light roast yirgacheffe, just from a grocery store, and ground just with a Bodum Bistro (you can get away with more with a manual machine, since you have complete control).  It’s a pain in the ass to make coffee this way (and I use a NanoFoamer for milk), but I rarely drink coffee, and I love the Flair. I like that it’s a pain in the ass. 

16/32 in 31 seconds, not quite 9 bar. Sweet, complex, moderate acidity, good texture. You couldn’t ask for a more perfect puck or a prettier shot (not that crema adds anything useful). 

ED1814C2-E158-400E-9AFE-DBEBFBED2D60.jpeg

721301A1-23BE-4F05-BD36-08A28925C483.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Good Brothers washed Ethiopian Argo, roasted 10 days ago, Flair Royal grinder, Flair lever machine, NanoFoamer, Oatly barista oat “milk.”

I don’t think you could ask for a prettier cappuccino for the second time the grinder has been used. The shot wasn’t quite right, but I was able to profile it and make it work. It was a delicious cappuccino. 

248B2513-324D-4C54-9384-7C478840785A.jpeg

• Like 2

Looks awesome, ER!

I'm so pleased I finally found a local roaster worth their salt.  Fourth largest city in the U.S....you'd think it would not be that difficult.  

Anyhoo, I have been using a Chemex for a few years now after many a year with the French press.  Have enjoyed the cleaner cup although it is hard to argue with all the raw oily goodness of the press.  

I am drinking an Ecuadorian Pillcocaja Typica Golden Honey.  Love all the information provided by the roaster...he's a true gent interested in educating his consumers which I love.  Probably TMI, but in case someone is interested following are but a few of the details provided:

PRODUCER - Ana Maria & Nicolas Eduardo Crespo

FARM - Pillcocaja

COUNTRY - Ecuador

REGION - Azuay

VARIETAL - Typica

LOT - #4 / 570 lbs

PROCESS - Golden Honey

DRYING - 20 days, 50% Shaded African Beds

ELEVATION - 1700 masl

HARVEST - August 2020

TASTING NOTES - Tropical fruits (papaya, banana), Acai berries, Sugar Cane, Chocolate

otal roast duration: 9'20

Weight-Loss: 12.75%

The special terroir of this Ecuadorian coffee makes it a very interesting coffee to roast with a lot of carbohydrates to create a complex profile. Additionally, in the golden honey process, we have more sweetness and texture available to be developed. For this reason, we started with a lower charge temperature and reach our crack time after 8 minutes with only 1'20 minutes of development post-crack. This gives us a balanced cup of coffee with sweet berries and ripe banana notes, a berry-like acidity, a creamy body, and a chocolaty lingering finish.

https://www.memlicoffee.com/product-page/ecuador-pillcocaja-lot-4-typica-golden-honey

HS

• Like 3

That sounds awesome, Sam. I have had some wonderful coffee out of pour-overs. I use something similar, either V60, or Bodum’s copy of the Chemex, depending on whether I am making coffee for just me or for more: it’s my most commonly used method (try a Japanese-style iced coffee in it!). 

That sounds like really good coffee. I have a new local roaster’s on my counter. I freeze coffee once it has off-gassed enough for espresso, and this particular one was roasted a week ago. I’m looking forward to fiddling around for half an hour making manual espresso with it. I do that about twice a month: it’s just so much clean up. 

I revisited French Press when I saw the Hoffman Method. It makes a damned good cup. I’d suggested revisiting it too. :)

edit: I really strongly suggest trying Japanese-style iced coffee. It’s amazingly good on a hot summer morning. This isn’t quite how I make it, but it’s a good starting point. https://www.seriouseats.com/japanese-style-iced-coffee

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

That sounds awesome, Sam. I have had some wonderful coffee out of pour-overs. I use something similar, either V60, or Bodum’s copy of the Chemex, depending on whether I am making coffee for just me or for more: it’s my most commonly used method (try a Japanese-style iced coffee in it!). 

That sounds like really good coffee. I have a new local roaster’s on my counter. I freeze coffee once it has off-gassed enough for espresso, and this particular one was roasted a week ago. I’m looking forward to fiddling around for half an hour making manual espresso with it. I do that about twice a month: it’s just so much clean up. 

I revisited French Press when I saw the Hoffman Method. It makes a damned good cup. I’d suggested revisiting it too. :)

edit: I really strongly suggest trying Japanese-style iced coffee. It’s amazingly good on a hot summer morning. This isn’t quite how I make it, but it’s a good starting point. https://www.seriouseats.com/japanese-style-iced-coffee

The Hoffman method is a win...as long as time allows.  Not a problem on the weekend.

Thanks for the recommend on the japanese style coffee...I'll definitely have a look.  Could be good for an afternoon given how hot it's getting here.

HS

• Like 1

Keep in mind that I do the exact opposite of “latte art,” on purpose, because I yam wut I yam.  This was a very good flat white. I ground the coffee (a light Honduran single origin roasted on June 21) a little too coarse, but I still got a well pressure-profiled shot: just a littlej channeling when I hit 7 bars, but not the “it’s too fine channeling.” It’s hard to explain if you haven’t used a fully manual set up. 

Oatly barista blend heated on the stove and then foamed with a NanoFoamer. I could have tapped out more large bubbles before transferring to the pouring vessel, but “anti-latte art,” and all. The NanoFoamer has a bit of a learning curve, but so does a steam wand. I can reliably produce the sort of foam, hard or soft, long stretch or short, now. I’m happy enough given my kitchen situation.

40041FD5-9DEC-4F99-A3D9-836C3FC78329.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

Never heard of the Hoffmann technique. Now I have, and am definitely going to try it today!

You will not regret it, CS. Takes a bit of patience and it's best if you have a double walled French press and you will lose temp, but it is indeed very tasty.

I am excited.  Two new coffees awaiting me for my lazy Saturday and one sample Memli tossed in for sport.  This one in particular has piqued my interest...

ECUADOR - PILLCOCAJA LOT #13 - TYPICA CARBONIC MACERATION

• Coffee Details

PRODUCER - Ana Maria & Nicolas Eduardo Crespo

FARM - Pillcocaja

COUNTRY - Ecuador

REGION - Azuay

VARIETAL - Typica

LOT - #13 / 28 lbs

PROCESS - Carbonic Maceration for 96 hours

DRYING - 24 days, 50% Shaded African Beds

ELEVATION - 1700 masl

HARVEST - August 2020

TASTING NOTES - raspberry jam, cherry, white chocolate, grapes

HS

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

Tried the Hoffman method. Bit of a faff, and not something to do if rushing to get to work - but the resulting coffee is to die for. Has real depth, but without the bitter edge from the regular French press method.

Win!

I agree...a bit of a PITA unless you are on a day off but it's pretty darned yummy.  And a nice change for one that's been using a press forever as I had been when I tried it a few years ago.  

Time...what a trip in this environment.  Feels almost non-linear at times as I think back on the last year plus...

HS

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not that anybody was wondering, but I discovered this morning that Chemex papers old enough to smell like good library books work (and taste) just fine once rinsed with boiling water. 

On 7/3/2021 at 7:24 AM, Craig Sawyers said:

Tried the Hoffman method. Bit of a faff, and not something to do if rushing to get to work - but the resulting coffee is to die for. Has real depth, but without the bitter edge from the regular French press method.

Win!

If I’ve done nothing else positive for anybody else this month, I’m glad that a bit of a faff which produced pleasure in the making and consuming, from a shared YouTube video of all things, came out of mentioning, and sharing, somebody else’s hard work. A good cup. 

As you weirdos across the pond would probably say, I’m chuffed. 

Try Japanese-iced coffee next, Craig. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1