Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

The really dumb thing is that this is decaf, because I want to have espresso later: I got up at 1:30 to do astrophotography, and I’ll want coffee again later. 

Deeper Roots, from here in town (I’ve known the owner for two decades: Les has his stuff in Whole Foods now). A good cup. 

03F03923-C8D3-45A3-A210-D3FF8A9C2789.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1

Definitely need a scale that goes up higher than that, ER, but glad it went your way.

I use the bleached filters and soak them properly.  Don't care for those "natural" ones so much.

I use between 20-30g of coffee on a 15:1 ratio (depends on time of day), bloom, then at a point where I'm at a high on the fill I'll take a metal straw or the like and give the slurry a brisk but short mix. 

Love my Chemex.

HS

• Like 1

I just grabbed that scale because I hadn’t used it in a while, is all. I had gotten it for espresso originally.  Speaking of scales, my Acaia 2021 Pearl is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I’m looking forward to it!

I really like Chemex as well, but it is kinda a sight to see just how much wet paper can seal to glass (that pic was a result of me dumping the rinse water). I do think the unbleached ones might be a bit worse for it. A straw in the spout prevents it and sealing and stalling. I do think I prefer V60.

Edited by EdipisReks1

The Acaia Pearl is huge overkill for my needs, but it’s a nice piece of kit. I will, however, not be using it for espresso (at least not here). I had measured, and it technically “works,” but “that ain’t gonna work.” Fortunately I have this other little dingus, and I pull shots based on weight and flow, not time (I set a 25 second alarm on my phone just so I know I’ve hit what I sort of consider my minimum time with my rig). 

I’m really going to like it for pour over I think, though. That’s what I mostly drink anyway (coffee wise, anyway).

66A96EA2-F00C-404A-9A10-B765DE927DF8.jpeg

08EA1CDA-C1E0-4FD5-BF73-A94248DC9C6B.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1

I guess this is just telling me what I already knew: depending on grind I’m getting a 4-4:30 total on a 15:1 20 gram dose V60 (I forgot to adjust from the Chemex the other day, so this was long) with the method I use, which isn’t quite James Hoffman’s, but I came up with my method long before I learned his and they aren’t terribly different (some days I stir, some days I swirl).  I guess that isn’t super useful.

Having said that, I like the Acaia Pearl 2021 a lot. My hands don’t work very well until my Gabapentin kicks in, which I take in the morning before I have coffee, and not having to juggle starting timers while pouring is a luxury I’ll have a hard time going without. 

ABBBC21F-2F90-41B1-A366-E83A2B5232DA.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/31/2021 at 11:06 AM, HemiSam said:

Very nice, ER. 

I use a several year old food scale from Amazon we also use to weigh our pooch’s meals. 

That scale looks very high tech relatively speaking. 

HS

It mostly means it’s a pain in the ass until you get used to it. :) It was worth it to me to spend $270 on a scale that fits perfectly on my espresso drip tray and doesn’t encroach on my mirror and auto starts time and weight on the first drops (this is not as useful on an electric machine, but with a lever it makes sense to start on the pre-infusion), but everybody has different needs and wants. I haven’t used the apps much; maybe I will in the future. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

7 hours ago, HemiSam said:

What grinder did you say you were using, ER?

HS

Flair Royal. I have an old and cheap Bodum Bistro burr grinder that is perfectly acceptable for pour over, but I’ve just been using the Royal for espresso and pour over. It’s a very consistent and precise grinder. I’m not going to get a better counter top grinder until I move, as I just don’t have a lot of space in my kitchen. I don’t have it quite dialed in for pour over yet, hence the sudden draw down slowing this morning, but I have it dialed in pretty well for espresso. 

My coffee setup is unfortunately space constrained, and I also travel to see my partner pretty often, and she has a Mr. Coffee (well, she has a V60 and Encore that I bought her, but… she has a Mr. Coffee). We plan on putting a bar in her basement after I’m finally there, and I really do think a Lelit Mara X is going to be on the end of that bar, but I’m unsure of the grinder. I’m thinking Lagom P64, but they are as hard to get as a Niche, and the new Mignon single dose might end up being good, and I bet a Eureka will be a lot easier to actually buy.  I have agreed to keep the espresso coffee setup (pour over coffee and kettle are fairly well sorted at this point!) to around $3,000 (I’ll probably cheat) as apparently there are “other things she would rather we spend money on.” *jerk off motion* :)

3 hours ago, grawk said:

i brought some coffee equipment with me to otakon. 

3E936EDE-9BB1-4468-B187-9E4DC1BEE2A4.jpeg

That’s a serious setup!

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, grawk said:

i brought some coffee equipment with me to otakon. 

3E936EDE-9BB1-4468-B187-9E4DC1BEE2A4.jpeg

I think the weak points are your Ziplock containers. If you're going to take this hobby serious, then vacuum pack is the only way to store your beans, even short term. I know you can do better! 🤪

10 hours ago, HemiSam said:

Sexy.  Hopefully built better and easier to maintain than Italian cars.  Having said that, they can be a whole lot of fun...

Italian cars? Like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani, Bugatti... do I need to list more 😉

2 minutes ago, starcat said:

Italian cars? Like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani, Bugatti... do I need to list more 😉

Yes...beautiful and very expensive to maintain.  Forget about reliability....which, if you're buying one of those I fully expect is a secondary consideration.

I need my caffeine though....LOL.

HS