Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

40 minutes ago, HemiSam said:

I am leaning towards this beauty given the wifey has provided an option with more counter space.  

Any thoughts?  I like the looks and the idea of flow control.  But then again...that's all in my head at this point.

https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/lelit/pl162t-lelit-sp

HS

I have that machine and like it a lot. 

Edited by blubliss
  • Like 1

Also, I don’t know if you have bought from Prima before: they rule. Also pretty local to me (I haven’t been to the current location, though).

In other coffee news, if anybody is interested in a small drip machine that attempts to replicate a pour over, more or less, I’ll let you know how the Zojirushu Zutto is after Christmas.

Heather had complained about the quality of coffee at her college (apparently the Ember travel mug I got her isn’t enough for 10 hours of lecture: go figure), but I also know she doesn’t have a ton of room in her office. The Zutto really looks like a baby version of the Bonavita. I figure she’ll mostly use pre ground coffee, or grind at home, but a Hario Electric Solo and a Mini Slim Plus should take care of any grinding needs. The Solo shouldn’t have the issues with grinding for filter that I experienced when trying to grind espresso with the Option-O. I think it’ll be a nice small setup. Will replace some piece of shit Mr. Coffee or whatever. 

I’ve ruined her for coffee; when I met her she eyeballed an amount of whatever she got from Trader Joe’s and hoped for the best. It was… well, it was coffee. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

2 minutes ago, EdipisReks1 said:

Also, I don’t know if you have bought from Prima before: they rule. Also pretty local to me (I haven’t been to the current location, though).

They look like a serious outfit, ER.

I went with Clive Coffee.  They are reputable and are offering a Pearl with purchases over $1500...thought a good scale would be a nice to have.

HS

• Like 1

Hey, Clive is great too, and that’s a nice promotion! French Press is another store I’ve bought from. I get Prima stuff next day, though. :)

BTW: I really like the Crema coffee palm tamper/distributors. I like them enough that I have it in four sizes for my various setups. Highly recommended. I would also get a precision basket. I like IMS, but this is a lot less important than a good tamp. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

I don’t think I posted this. I’m going to scan it and have it framed to go over my coffee bar, I think. Yeah, yeah, yeah: I’m a Hoffman fanboy, I’m aware. His videos got me back into coffee after a few years of being disinterested, so I’ll wear that fanboy-ism on my sleeve. Or in a frame on my wall, anyway. 

Also it’s a Balac, and his New Yorker covers are pretty wonderful.

FD467D82-198B-4BBE-A7CF-6FE21561FF7D.jpeg

63D9AD93-A1BB-401A-884C-DCE44D75FEF6.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1

11 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I just realized I have $700 in coffee scales. What am I doing with my life? Other than enjoying very good coffee, I mean. 

I should probably get a Smart Espresso Profiler for the Flair 58, to make the scales worthwhile. ;)

Huh, I looked up the Smart Espresso Profiler. They seem to require an Acaia. It brings a lever machine closer to a DE1+, which is quite nuts.

Though, the Uniterra Nomad probably still takes the cake for "wait, this costs 235 dollars?" I made a blooming espresso a few days ago with it and was very pleased. Could've dialed that in but even without that it was pretty interesting.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, grawk said:

That nomad seems to have a pressurized portafilter.  Seems like a good alternative to an aeropress for travel, but not an upgrade over most home machines.

The pressurized part, which they call “True Crema Valve,” is removable, and then it’s like any other portafilter. 

1 hour ago, Covered_Ears said:

I know of it, but I haven't watched it. For some reason I need to be in a particular state of mind to watch coffee YouTube.

I have to be in a particular state of mind not to, but I’m a weirdo. :) Anyway, he really likes the Nomad, and Quan has certainly used plenty of espresso machines. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

7 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

My attempt at buying coffee from LeverCraft failed. Looks like they are going out of business. 

Failed how so?  The online shop interface still seems to be working, not that I'm going to attempt to go all the way through the process to pre-order $200/lb coffee beans.  I have my limits. 

• Haha 1