Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

7 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I was not able to to buy the coffee I wanted and the main page says “we are going out of business,” though in more words. They can’t exist without the shop and are selling existing stock. 
<snipped image>

I guess I took this statement, "LeverCraft Coffee isn’t going anywhere, and we will be refocusing our efforts to provide excellent beans, tools, and education to our community," to mean that they would be continuing to sell coffee.  Yes, they closed the cafe but that wasn't the whole business.

Sucking at making espresso is precisely how you eventually make good espresso! If you made good espresso off the bat you could only have one direction to go in, and it wouldn’t be the direction you want. 

Oh, and you can discover that you suck at steaming milk, if you give that a whirl! I would get good at milk first, honestly; milk drinks were invented because most espresso is bad but is okay if turned into something where you don’t really taste the coffee. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Haha 1

It's official...I suck at steaming milk as well...LOL.

I did make a cappuccino / latte of sorts.  Wasn't terrible but if I'd have paid for this I would have been disappointed to say the least.  

The shot was definitely better today with fresh coffee that came with the machine.  I need a week off...or more to play with this thing.

I'm headed out today to buy a bunch of medium roast coffee based on some good advice I received here and see if I can't get a smidge better before the weekend is over and I'm back to the office.

HS

IMG_7478.thumb.JPG.406913b3f20b5ad97f285817b4417d71.JPGIMG_7479.thumb.JPG.2a650428eb7a565c943df2c8e043f667.JPGIMG_7480.thumb.JPG.cc6553a5cd7e0e45a69b6c012e8cd267.JPGIMG_7481.thumb.JPG.9619636499f8bdcdf606a8e163520d67.JPG

Also don’t get discouraged by bad shots: espresso is like performing music; nobody, no matter how talented, picks up an oboe for the first time and starts playing Bach. 

3 minutes ago, HemiSam said:

It's official...I suck at steaming milk as well...LOL.

I did make a cappuccino / latte of sorts.  Wasn't terrible but if I'd have paid for this I would have been disappointed to say the least.  

The shot was definitely better today with fresh coffee that came with the machine.  I need a week off...or more to play with this thing.

I'm headed out today to buy a bunch of medium roast coffee based on some good advice I received here and see if I can't get a smidge better before the weekend is over and I'm back to the office.

HS

IMG_7481.thumb.JPG.9619636499f8bdcdf606a8e163520d67.JPG

I mean, that doesn’t look terrible. Given what the puck looks like I would say you either need to coarsen up or fine up the grind. Helpful advice, I know. It looks wet, so my guess is you need to be a smidge coarser. Or you are tamping too hard. Or maybe the opposite! 

It’s a good start, regardless, and the bruises will be well earned. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First shot with the Flair 58 pulled. I didn’t grind fine enough (first use, after all!) and it pulled as a turbo, 18.5 in 40 out in about 18 seconds. I’ll go substantially finer next time. It was acceptable, though, especially as a latte. I’m still getting too large of bubbles with the Bellman, but I think I’m using too much pressure (the Bellman is much more aggressive a steamer than my Breville is, and I’ve only used it twice, so I’m not beating myself up over it). 

All in all, not too bad! Also not an ugly puck. Zero channeling evident on the top side (it broke when I tried to flip it over, so you’ll have to take my word for it). I really like the IMS basket.

image.jpg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1