Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

3 hours ago, HemiSam said:

I have not tried the V60 but I can recommend the Chemex after many a year of French press.  Will be curious to see if you prefer one over the other, tyrion.

Happy caffeinating...

HS

I read a bit about what you and Reks wrote before pulling the trigger. I will update the thread once I get a chance to try it out.

• Like 1

Fortunately we have power but it's chilly for Houston...30's and I'm sitting next to the fire with the pooch sipping a lovely Kenya Gathaiti via Chemex.  I run with a 15:1 and generally a medium to light-medium roast for the pour overs.

It's been a lovely holiday...

HS

• Like 3

On 12/29/2021 at 1:01 PM, crappyjones123 said:

This stuff is like powder. 

Calibrated to 5 clicks away from chirping. Thinking I might go a bit more so I have usable range for cold brew. 

Any updates?

I tried out the Zojirushi I bought for Heather the last couple mornings I was there (finally back in Cincinnati after a rather slow and harrowing journey through the snow storm in Va/WVa), and I was very impressed. We got the Hario grinder dialed in for it, and she is ready to take it to her office when she is on campus and teaching in person again in a couple weeks. 

Interestingly, it’s not that much smaller than the Bonavita. Usefully smaller, and the Zojirushi is certainly very compact, but the Bonavita also packs a lot into a small package. 

I like both machines very much. H’s Hamilton-Beach at home is vanquished, and Mr. Coffee at college will be soon. 

I also gave her an Oxo reservoir pour over (uses the same 02 filter as the Zoji, and she likes pour over); it is also very nice, and is super simple which is perfect for an office setting where you have a little time to relax for a second and make something “special,” but don’t have a gooseneck and all that shit. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

If you are using the Chemex pre-folded squares, wet the square first then put the three layered side against the pouring channel.  The three layers are thick enough to prevent them from moving over to clog the channel. Always works for me.

Heat is out. Cats whining. Space heaters on (it’s 7 degrees out). Made some Counter Culture decaf in the Chemex. Damn that is a good cup of coffee! Ground on the SSP burrs in the Ode, at a 6.5 indicated (which means nothing for anybody else with an Ode).

Super sweet. Honey. Cocoa. No astringency. Not bitter at all. Enough malic to know it’s there. I went very fine. Will try the tornado at this grind point, if I survive the night!

If I were given this cup at a good third wave cafe I would say “huh” in a very good way.

If I survive the night I’ll be thinking about that cup for a while. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Haha 1

I was out of V60 filters so decided to use my Aeropress (haven’t touched it in years). I need to get my ratio right but it wasn’t a bad cup using my Kenyan AA I roasted to about 1 minute into first crack. The Chemex is out for delivery so I will give it a try tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

A little latte with my Breville. 2.5:1 ground on the Niche (I love this grinder since I fixed it; it stays calibrated grind to grind now) and oat milk. Could have done art, didn’t. Delicious. 

Aetopress is good coffee, Mike. Chemex is too. Different, though. 

E1C973DA-AE47-4FC8-9659-ED137E838B7F.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 2

Just made an Aero decaf. It came out tasty, but I got sprayed in the face with hot water: 25 on the Niche is WAY too fine for AeroPress.* I didn’t even know you could get sprayed in the face with an AeroPress.

First AeroPress using the Niche.

I have too many grinders.  I have fewer than I used to!

* assuming your Niche is autistically calibrated, as mine is. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

LOL.  Hope you didn't get burned, J.

I've got the Niche set past the coarsest marked setting for the Chemex.  I have far fewer issues with the pour over or French press than I do the espresso grind settings.  Largely my own fault as I'm working through my coffee advent calendar still so I'm on constant rotation (left over beans from the morning pour over).  The back to work schedule has me enjoying far less great coffee...

Java du jour is a Columbia Juan Jimenez.  Very easy cup to sip...sweet and sweet.  

HS

• Like 1

I do a 1350 or so on the OG for pour over, give or take a couple microns in burr distance . This is useful information, I’m sure. :) I did a French press for the first time in years a few months ago after Covered_ears goaded me into it. It was a delicious cup of coffee, but like, I ain’t got time for that shit. 

And I was merely startled, not burned, fortunately.

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

That was a fascinating shot of espresso. I ground slightly too fine and pulled a little short, but it worked out okay. 5 bar, fast ramp up, slow ramp down, 21 in, 40 out in 50 seconds (including pre-infusion). 5 bar is more or less my standard on any machine where I can manage it with funky beans, and this one is certainly funky! I’m not sure it wants to be espresso, and I’ll likely not make espresso with it again, but I’m glad I did today. 

Making espresso with naturals is an adventure. I highly do not recommend it to anybody unless they are somebody I would recommend it to, in which case I highly recommend it.

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Haha 1

I find this roundup to be hilarious. Now, I don’t find it to be wrong. In no way shape or form is it wrong: it’s a good roundup! “Just buy an encore” is maybe the best coffee advice I can give. But, if you are at the point where you are having to wonder if a home grinder is “excessive for the casual coffee drinker,” you probably stopped long before that. I mean, if you are a “casual coffee drinker” you are my mom drinking instant, or you really like a “flat white” at Starbucks. I don’t consider anybody with an encore to be a “casual coffee drinker.” That fucker rules.

My laughter was that “excessive for the casual coffee drinker” is both burying the lede and missing the point, applied there. Yes: the Sette 270 is indeed. Casual coffee drinkers do not need 270 points of grind adjustment. I don’t either. Now, infinite adjustment is good for the gander and the goose.

Also I applied for a job at Counter Culture, today. We’ll see where that goes (nowhere, if they are smart, as I’m a nightmare). Just trying to figure out what I’m going to do in North Carolina. 

Edited by EdipisReks1