Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

normal Dragonfly prices are brutal and i wouldn't be a buyer... Similar to Bird Rock and Paradise. they recently did a big clearance and i grabbed the Elida Estate green tip at almost half off and it's much closer to worth it. not sure if those sales are normal or if i was lucky. 

Hatch is awesome and i would recommend. i had their advent calendar last year and it's the best run of coffee I've ever done. also their relationship with Finca El Paraiso seems incredibly unique and gives them access to stuff i haven't seen elsewhere. Paraiso is a ridiculously good farm, probably in my top two.

(i should note i only do pour over. no espresso)

• Thanks 1

Took delivery of a couple of coffees from my local roaster, Memli.  The Guatemalan Alejandro Lainez Chejoj I had him roast for espresso (not as dark a roast as most the espresso I've bought thus far but definitely darker than his pour over roast).  It made a lovely shot just now.

I look forward to trying the Kenyan Kiunyu AB Kerugoya Kirinyaga for my pour over in the morning.

spacer.png

HS

• Like 1

Mini-review of Colombia Decaf Rainbow by Metric Coffee.

On the bag they put notes of apple cider, caramel, and citrus. At first blush it seems like "just another Colombian EA decaf" but I think it's in the leading 30% or so.

As a pour-over you can expect a fairly interesting decaf, with all of those aforementioned flavors. It's not particularly complex but is a very approachable coffee, great for sipping. As an espresso, the most accurate form of apple cider I can think of is those Martinelli's apple ciders -- very apple juice-like, with some spices but definitely mostly the former. If you want shots redolent of apple juice and don't want extra caffeine, this coffee is hard to beat.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Covered_Ears said:

As an espresso, the most accurate form of apple cider I can think of is those Martinelli's apple ciders -- very apple juice-like, with some spices but definitely mostly the former. 

Hah! I haven’t thought about Martinelli cider in a long time, but I sure tasted it as soon as I read that line!

9 minutes ago, grawk said:

I got a sample of a rwandan coffee from olam yesterday and roasted it. i made a cortado this morning and then immediately ordered a 30kg bag of beans. 

That’s certainly a strong endorsement!

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

Cappuccino this morning with some light roast Ethiopian (the person at the counter of roastery didn’t know the varietal, and it’s not labeled, but I think it’s Sidamo: it’s fairly well roasted, though it has some Quakers) and Silk Next Milk. Another place where I COULD have done latte art. 

I’m super happy with Silk Next Milk (at least the “while fat” variety); by far the best plant milk I’ve used for coffee, and very close to the flavor of dairy when steamed.

754F0A22-9756-4076-8F79-4DDA425CFC70.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1

I ordered a Normcore portafilter. Specifically fits the Flair 58 (well, it’s just an E61 portafilter, but they do call out the Flair specifically!). I don’t like how light the Flair portafilter is. This should fix that. Also includes an 18gram precision basket, which is strangely not something I have (22 IMS and 20 VST; the stock Flair basket is 18, but it’s not great: it’s fine, but I don’t use it).

Edited by EdipisReks1

That was an incredible latte. Keep in mind it was the only shot I pulled today, and the only “milk” I steamed.

I don’t think I can do better. I can do  “different,” and certainly “easier,” but I don’t think I can do better. 

Edited by EdipisReks1