Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

Made that steamed iced americano thing. It’s super good! The texture really is like a nitro coffee, but it doesn’t taste bad because it’s not cold brew crap. 

I think I’d go a little shorter on the water/espresso ratio next time. But it’s super good!

C68A6EA0-2895-403B-8BA5-C34A8DEECFC2.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

Normcore portafilter is great. It feels wonderful in the hand, and is super well machined, so it locks into the group easily but also solid as a rock. Also also it’s a big ol’ chunk of metal: who wouldn’t like that?

The basket it came with is not, however. It’s a perfectly fine precision basket, but the shape doesn’t let dosing funnels sit securely if they aren’t magnetic funnels. I have a magnetic funnel, and it’s fine, but I prefer to use the Weber blind shaker, which is not (at least not in that way: the magnetic bit is in the base of whatever you call the thingie that you remove to dose the coffee; it sticks to the neodymium magnet I put in the base of the Niche, but doesn’t stick to a basket).

So I bought an IMS baristapro 18g. Of course the Normcore basket was part of how I convinced myself to get the portafilter, but I didn’t buy that this week so it’s okay: new week new shit!

Edited by EdipisReks1

On 3/11/2022 at 8:12 AM, grawk said:

That should really have an analog gauge for that price.

It is a good looking machine and I’m sure it pulls good espresso, but you can’t profile without a general idea of the pressure, which defeats the point of a lever. 

I also think a straight lever on a 58 is… a decision. You lose a lot of mechanical advantage. Straight lever works great on a smaller portafilter; taller column changes the pressure distribution. You can pull a shot on the Flair 58 with your chin.* Less mechanical advantage is going to mean less precision.

This is assuming the full manual has the same arm geometry as the spring version.

*the Flair is hardly perfect, but the curved lever is not one of its many flaws.

Edited by EdipisReks1