Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

3 minutes ago, n_maher said:

At the equivalent of ~$30/lb (unless you buy 2lb, then it's $25/lb) that stuff is out of my league.  

They pissed me off but good a few years ago when they went to the Neimann Marcus packaging and lowered the amount of coffee, n_maher.  Stopped buying altogether until I went back recently...this was my second order in years. 

I agree it's pricey but damn they do a good job choosing and roasting beans...

HS

• Like 1

Onyx is a roaster I need to learn; it’s the standard benchmark for a lot of other roasters and coffee researchers for a reason.

But it’s a little expensive for daily drinking! I have a freezer full of expensive beans that I don’t drink that often, so I wouldn’t have to buy a ton of whatever. I go through, tops, 50grams of coffee a day, and usually much less, so I don’t need tons anyway. 

Maybe I’m not coffee snob enough, but I found Onyx to be good but nothing amazing. It’s readily available here since it’s almost local and a handful of places have it as their daily drip. 

I’ve actually never found any coffee to be good on the same level as a good beer/whiskey is. Maybe I just need to spike it more often 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, naamanf said:

Do tell?

I think we are in the wrong thread…lol

i like Panamanian rums very much. Used to love Venezuelan rums as well (four and a half years down there), but quality can be an issue. Diplomatico Ambassador is very good but not worth the $$$ IMHO. 

Love Zafra 21. Zafra 30 is nectar from the gods….  

Flor de Cana 18 is great value for $$$. The 25 is good but not great. 

I have a lot of rum…

HS

4 minutes ago, HemiSam said:

I think we are in the wrong thread…lol

i like Panamanian rums very much. Used to love Venezuelan rums as well (four and a half years down there), but quality can be an issue. Diplomatico Ambassador is very good but not worth the $$$ IMHO. 

Love Zafra 21. Zafra 30 is nectar from the gods….  

Flor de Cana 18 is great value for $$$. The 25 is good but not great. 

I have a lot of rum…

HS

Bah, this is HC, one thread is as good as another.  My (state run) liquor store has the Flor 18 in stock for $39.99/750mL or maybe I should spring for something more in keeping with this place. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, naamanf said:

Maybe I’m not coffee snob enough, but I found Onyx to be good but nothing amazing. It’s readily available here since it’s almost local and a handful of places have it as their daily drip. 

I’ve actually never found any coffee to be good on the same level as a good beer/whiskey is. Maybe I just need to spike it more often 😂

I think it's just that you're not doing it correctly. I've posted the correct method in easy to follow steps...

Step #1) pre-heat sufficiently heavy ceramic mug.

Step #2) pour hot coffee into afore mentioned, heated ceramic mug.

Step #3) swirl coffee around in ceramic mug to coat well.

Step #4) pour coffee out of mug, into sink.

Step #5) fill coated mug with Irish Cream Liqueur. 

Step #6) drink.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, n_maher said:

Bah, this is HC, one thread is as good as another.  My (state run) liquor store has the Flor 18 in stock for $39.99/750mL or maybe I should spring for something more in keeping with this place. 

That's great value for money IMO, n_maher.  You can't go wrong.  

There are some nice rums, Opthimus.  15 yr is good for starters and they go up.  I avoid the ones finished in casks other than oak as I find them to be a bit much...there's already a lot going on.

Cheers!

HS

12 hours ago, naamanf said:

Picked this up recently and it’s really good. I have a few (dozen) rums. Always looking to expand. 

647E33B4-B0E4-4BFD-AC76-733944FC8603.jpeg

3AD96F7B-CDB6-4377-AF10-83E9BEB4FE12.jpeg

Very nice naamanf! 

The Barbadian I was sipping on late last week is the Gregarious Grump 16 yr.  It's a lot of ABV for me personally.  Sourced from FourSquare...they're good but way proud of their products IMHO.

I have a bottle of the Grander...it's good. 

I'm not a big Abuelo fan, but if you can get your hooks in the Panama Pacific 23-yr I think you will not be disappointed. 

HS 

I used to live in Central America and had many blurry nights, some that stretched into the following week; hands down the best rum I've tasted is a surprisingly affordable Ron Zacapa 23, trailed (not very closely imo) by Flor de Caña. Rum, unlike say Scotch, gets into diminishing returns very quickly up the price ladder, unless you consider sugar cane to be its own food group. 

To keep in line with the thread: coffee with rum is the ideal way to ruin your life without care.

I'm definitely not a coffee aficionado, but I have recently grown fond of iced coffee. I finally got my measurements correct for making my own concentrate. Makes it simple to make a great iced coffee (usually with Irish creme) at any time.

Edited by swt61
  • Like 2

I’ve got it dialed in and I’m grinding for and brewing some of the best espresso I’ve made. The Flair Pro2 is brilliant. You could get away with one case for it (I have three, because I have scales and funnels and three different brewheads with gauges, and tamps, and yada, because of course I do).

Is it the Flair 58? Well no. Of course it isn’t. And I’m pulling the great shots because I’m pulling shots every day, but the Flair Pro 2 represents an amazing ROI for anybody reading this who wants to get into espresso, especially if you travel, for not too much money. 

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Grahame said:

I'm totally going to make a satire of his French press video...which is entirely true.  I embrace parts of that video, and do the opposite of others.  I don't spoon off shit, I stir like crazy, I use distilled (does not taste delicious...but does not taste like anything, honestly) water, &c.

My tagline:  embrace the sludge.

• Haha 1