Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

proper light roasts including Nordic now seem to be recommending 30+ days of resting in many cases. Sey, Apollon’s Gold, etc.

i let that Black & White settle for 3ish weeks and certainly didn’t feel like it lost anything. if anything has improved. 

• Like 1

I would give it a try and then set it aside for a bit and come back to it. 

Back when I was fully into roasting, I started off with the idea of a fresh roast, fresh grind is the best. But Sonja and I started to notice that we liked the coffee better and better as the week went on (always fresh grind though). So then we implemented a process of roasting a pound at a time and letting it set while we worked through the current batch. It took us about a week and a half to go through a pound (a real pound - not 14oz, or 12 oz that companies sell these days -- anyway - lost my train of thought). 

So by the time we got to the new roast it was at least a week and a half old. This was a good balance that we came up with. We didn't really want to have rolling stock of multiple roasts just aging. But we knew that we didn't want fresh either. 

This reminds me when we started to fresh mill flower. It was not the best right out of the mill. When we got fresh flour from a local source we would not use it until at least 14 days after it was milled. It was too unpredictable to use for our breads. So there is something about nature that wants us cool our jets a bit. When we transform something (roast or mill), it needs some time to recover. 

don't we all?

• Like 3

Oh, I did get my VST 18g Basket in the other day. I have switched over from my 20g. It is working great. As I thought the automatic grinder is now dialed in to 20g in (down from 22+). It took a few pulls to get the grind and extraction right with 2g+ less coffee in the basket. But it is pulling really nice and even and giving good extraction as I am now grinding finer with this setup. With the 20 in and about 42 out in about 35 seconds.

The final bag of Brazilian roast from Dan tasting good. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, EdipisReks1 said:

The pump on the little Breville just died. I guess I’m nor buying H an espresso grinder.

The pump on the 820/830 is a serviceable part (if that is the source of the issue). Having serviced the Barista express before, it is possible to repair, if you take your time (and watch youtube).  You cannot break it more than broken. 

• Like 2

Just to be a bit more specific, the Opus seems to be out performed by the Encore ESP (not even including the weird workflow for dialing in); I have an Encore with M2 set fine, right here at Heather’s, which will grind espresso, and it’s not even close to the same performance as the Niche. I used it with the Flair Pro 2 this morning, as the Niche is now packed up for me to go home. It’s fine. It works. Niche shots are different. Niche build and workflow are much better, and grind quality isn’t comparable.  Obviously I don’t have an Opus, but I’m surprised at the idea of replacing one with the other in that direction.

Edited by EdipisReks1

I’ve been using the new grinder for 2 days now. I haven’t compared it directly to the niche, I’ve just put it into my morning routine. It took 1 shot to dial it in, and since then, I’ve been quite happy. With my coffee (brazilian medium roast) 18.5 g in 40 g out from my Brezzera Strega lever machine I’ve been quite happy. 

• Like 4

On 2/28/2023 at 2:33 PM, grawk said:

I’ve been using the new grinder for 2 days now. I haven’t compared it directly to the niche, I’ve just put it into my morning routine. It took 1 shot to dial it in, and since then, I’ve been quite happy. With my coffee (brazilian medium roast) 18.5 g in 40 g out from my Brezzera Strega lever machine I’ve been quite happy. 

That’s pretty impressive. 

• 2 weeks later...