Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

The valve no longer seals on the removable water tank. There isn’t an obvious way to replace it or the o-rings, so I bought a new complete tank from Breville. Machine doesn’t brew (or steam) and the tank valve is faulty; surely these are related things. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

5 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

The valve no longer seals on the removable water tank. There isn’t an obvious way to replace it or the o-rings, so I bought a new complete tank from Breville. Machine doesn’t brew (or steam) and the tank valve is faulty; surely these are related things. 

I have the same issue with my tank not sealing when I remove it from the machine. And you are right. I found no way to replace the little o-ring on the valve, and nobody sells it either. It is possible that it's leaking to the inside and causing issues there as well. Good luck with the repair, or if you send it in.

Kevin has the correct idea IMO.  

I used to have to deal with o-ring issues, frequently on a system designed to support consistent nitrous flow from the bottle with either CO2 or O2...the o-rings would eventually deteriorate.

Learned a few things...scuba shops and paintball shops are pros.  They carry a compound that when applied it makes the rubber swell and often will be a fix if you do not have a replacement o-ring.  

A kit like the one attached (note the viton material handles temp swings and harsh liquids like race fuel well) I found to be well worth the money.

Best of luck, Jacob!

Sam

EDIT:  PS...I would be more than happy to send any that might work for you.

image.jpeg

Edited by HemiSam
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, kevin gilmore said:

use something round and small diameter to push the piston down, then tiny long nose pliers to extract the o-ring. then size appropriately from a selection of o-rings and reassemble the same way.

I did number one, but didn’t go so far as number two. I don’t necessarily trust my shaky hands with getting an o-ring on.

12 hours ago, HemiSam said:

Kevin has the correct idea IMO.  

I used to have to deal with o-ring issues, frequently on a system designed to support consistent nitrous flow from the bottle with either CO2 or O2...the o-rings would eventually deteriorate.

Learned a few things...scuba shops and paintball shops are pros.  They carry a compound that when applied it makes the rubber swell and often will be a fix if you do not have a replacement o-ring.  

A kit like the one attached (note the viton material handles temp swings and harsh liquids like race fuel well) I found to be well worth the money.

Best of luck, Jacob!

Sam

EDIT:  PS...I would be more than happy to send any that might work for you.

image.jpeg

Just a quick check and Vitron IS food safe.  :police:

• Like 2

I had forgotten how good the espresso from the Flair 58 is. I just wish the NanoFoamer did a better job on milk; I am just using a French press with hot milk, instead, and it’s fine, I guess. Hopefully the tank fixes the issue. If it *does* it shows a dumb weakness in the design of the machine. Espresso machines have enough weaknesses, already, they don’t need a little o-ring in a part specifically made to be removed and reinstalled often to be a machine killer. 

Hah! Fortunately I found a reasonably local (in Louisville, a city I like, and I’ll visit Prima while I’m there) espresso machine shop that does Brevilles. They think it’s the pump, and I’ll have the o rings replaced and the boilers descaled while it’s open. Should bring the machine back to basically new for a few hundred bucks. A lot cheaper than buying another one (I really like the machine; I would replace with the newer version, almost certainly), I just need to figure out when I want to drive to Louisville. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just for shits and giggles, I did something suggested in case of air bubbles (this can cause the same symptoms as what I have): turn it upside down and shake the shit out of it. That got me one shot before the loud buzzing and lack of water flow returned. 

I think that’s pretty definitive that the pump is shot. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

After 8+ years, we decided to replace the Barista Express. While it has been leaking for a while, the leaks recently got bad enough to affect the quality of the espresso. Based on the experience with it, we decided we didn’t want too big a change, and ended up with the Barista Express Impress. The dosing and tamping is much cleaner and it just took pulling a few shots to get it dialed in. I like that it still has the pressure dial, unlike some of the higher-end machines. 

3FBDF4CF-9D6A-4382-9E80-AB6CE179B434.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Augsburger said:

Well when you reach my age leaking is a everyday occurrance and we learn to live with it and move on.

i bet if you asked them your family would happily replace you with a new espresso machine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1