Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

feel like the Duo’s motor needs to be beefier for flats but otherwise seems good. variable rpm is less an issue with niche running lower rpm to begin with. 

i’d probably be same boat, Jacob. Duo is a nice balance of entry in larger flats with the good workflow and a brand i would trust more than turin (DF83) or timemore (sculptor 78S).

this Zerno Z1 seems pretty great but super new brand, model, and not immediately available. https://zerno.co

• Like 2

i haven’t shared any coffee rec’s in a minute so here’s one of you are looking to splurge. the shipping is super pricey but international delivery was within three days after roast which is pretty incredible.

C204465C-8440-4035-ACDC-2E7C14847B81.jpeg

Manhattan in the Netherlands is ridiculously good. Luna and Letty are from Finca El Paraiso which is a Colombian farm i know very well via Hatch in Canada. Janson is a Panamanian farm that i’ve been meaning to try for a while but kind of hard to find. 

Luna is just as i remembered with exceptional bright acidity and lots of interesting herbals. Letty may be one of the 2-3 best coffees i have ever had. the peach and mango notes are so pure and outrageous. Janson has been very challenging. extremely dense and slow  drawdown regardless of brewer or grind variation. i ended up putting it through long steep aeropress which seems to have done the trick and pull up  a bit more richness from what has been extremely delicate profile. i would pretty comfortably put a few other farms from Panama above Janson based on this bag (Savage / Fincah Deborah in particular). 

• Like 3

I’ve seen a couple more videos of the Duo grinding green coffee beans with absolutely no issues. Also the espresso burrs seem to have plenty of range for pour over unless you need quite coarse grinding. If I replace my Niche Zero I also want to replace my Ode; if I have to change burrs to go from filter to espresso it’s a worse workflow than what I have, which is a non starter. I grind pretty fine for pour over, and rarely grind coarse, but I’ll be keenly watching reviews as they trickle in. Hopefully Niche has fulfillment figured out and it doesn’t take buyers forever to get one. 

• 3 weeks later...

After seeing a bunch of reviews, I think the Niche Duo doesn’t offer me anything over keeping the Zero for espresso and the Ode/SSP for filter, unless I also spend the extra $350 for SSP burrs. Which I would probably do, if I got a Duo. But I’m super happy with my grinders, I just would prefer to have one: swapping back and forth on the Duo isn’t as handy as just having separate grinders. 

I have the Niche Zero.  It has served me well, but I definitely see why some would want to upgrade. 

My biggest issue at the moment is dialing in my Chemex again.  I went through my last box of filters which I thought might be a bit different than all the boxed I'd bought previously.  This latest box is much changed.  I have to grind finer to get the "resident" time for extraction.

HS

• Like 1

Have you tried a a hand grinder for pour over, Sam? Depending on batch size it might not be the best choice, but I would use one of my hand grinders for pour over instead of the Niche, if I didn’t have the Ode/SSP. 

The more I see about the Duo the more I think I’ll get it, but I’ll immediately put in SSP multi purpose burrs, which makes it a fairly expensive grinder, but an awfully good price for the workflow and that burrset. I’m not in a hurry, though: I still need to get my espresso machine fixed. 

3 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

Have you tried a a hand grinder for pour over, Sam? Depending on batch size it might not be the best choice, but I would use one of my hand grinders for pour over instead of the Niche, if I didn’t have the Ode/SSP. 

The more I see about the Duo the more I think I’ll get it, but I’ll immediately put in SSP multi purpose burrs, which makes it a fairly expensive grinder, but an awfully good price for the workflow and that burrset. I’m not in a hurry, though: I still need to get my espresso machine fixed. 

Jacob,

I grind either roughly 22 grams for myself or closer to 42 when I have company on a few days of the week.

The good thing is the Niche makes the adjustment fairly easy.  Swinging between the Chemex and the espresso machine is a bit more but quite manageable.  just need to run some beans through it when I go from Chemex to espresso to get the grind closer to ideal.

Love the Niche and I'd definitely recommend it to someone.

EDIT:  I have not used a hand grinder at home.

HS

Edited by HemiSam
  • Like 1