Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

not ready to do final P100 comments yet until i do some espresso for a period of time but just dropping in to say apparently “burr break in” is a real thing.

in the past few weeks the amount of fines has dropped considerably on all of my various beans and i feel like i’m nearing the final state of these burrs and ease of use in purging between doses. which is to say - no purging. there is nothing left from each dose. it is completely zero retention. 

• Like 2

My opinion is that “burr break in” is basically just nooks and crannies getting filled with coffee oil/debris. That’s a pretty substantial physical change; I can see it making a difference, even if I haven’t noticed it particularly with my own gear. 

How are you liking the grinder in general? Have you been doing pour over only? This grinder is probably more than I want to spend, but it’s on my list of considerations for if I upgrade. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I prefer beans that have aged a week or 2 after roasting, I find they have a more mellow flavour than freshly roasted.
But - they must be freshly ground. That means pods are out for me.
You don't need a high-end machine for great results, my machines (one in the kitchen, one in my camper) are identical. So get a decent machine and get it dialed in to make coffee the way you love.
(Most of the people I go camping with also seem to like coffee the way I make it).

20230422_133636.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2023 at 7:40 PM, HemiSam said:

I tried the Intelligentsia coffees for the first time.  Very good!  I will be buying from them again.

HS

image.thumb.jpeg.4fa5ee1c9132c6b96222567fb16ed6cc.jpeg

Black Cat is my “house” espresso. It’s good stuff. 

Breville can’t be fixed. The steam boiler has a failed weld. Looks like it was bad from the factory. You can’t get the part, unfortunately. Now I need to decide what I replace it with. I’ve been happy with the Flair 58 for espresso, but I miss milk steaming. I could just get another Breville Dual Boiler, but build quality leaves me a bit shy to the idea. I really liked the machine, though. I’m guessing either a Mara X or the Argos Odyssey, probably. I guess it depends on whether I want a cup warmer or not. 

• Sad 1

I found another blueberry bomb.  

Yemen: Mocca Mattari, Sana’a Governorate from Coffee Bean Corral

It's very yummy.  I have another one that I have more of to try roasting next.  If that one turns out well, I'll offer it for sale.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think I’m just going to get another Breville Dual Boiler. A new new one, with a warranty, that they will still support. I’ve also decided that I neither need nor want a new grinder. I think not having an electric machine for a while got me past the FOMO and GAS over the Niche Duo. I’ve been pulling just delectable shots with the Niche Zero and Flair 58. 

• Like 3

Approaching two years that I purchased the Lelit Bianca.  I ultimately plumbed it directly to water and added a filtration system to make it simpler.

This thing is a tank.  At first I was using it a few times a week.  it's almost a year I use it almost daily.  So time for a service and it was good to see how clean things were.

Replaced the group head filter and gasket.  Gasket was hardening but not brittle by any means and the IMS filter looked very good given usage.

Included is the replacement group head filter.  The original gasket is in black and 8mm.  I bought both 8.0 and 8.5 and the original size was best.  

Very little to clean under the filter.  And finally the product I use to perform backlashes every 1-2 months (mostly latter...).

Happy brewing...

HS

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

I sourced a replacement steam boiler, so I should be back up and running after it arrives from Australia and I have it installed. $150 plus repair cost is a lot cheaper than a new one!

That is sweet, Sam! That machine still looks amazing, and plumbed in is living the dream!

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome news, Jacob!  I bet you'll get many a year out of the replacement.

I opened the single origin Guatemalan Francisco Martinez from Intelligencia and it's very good.  The dry cherry notes definitely jump out at you.  It reminds me a tad of the Yemeni cherry bomb coffee from the Austin joint that was recommended I believe by Voltron?  Not as refined as that but similar first note.

HS

• Like 1