Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

1 hour ago, grawk said:

If it’s good as coffee it’s probably good as espresso.

I tend to use this adage in reverse.  If it’s good as a latte, it’s good as coffee plus creamer (I asked for almond milk lattes, so I cream with various nut milks).  Besides, I don’t need it to be steamed milk hot.  But that’s just me, I’m not trying to change anyone else’s mind.  Please continue to enjoy your little hearts in your foam.  They’re cute.  ? 

So...yeah, I’m a French press guy, too.  I tend towards French and espresso roasts.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, grawk said:

How long does it run once the shot starts flowing? Before it shuts off at 1/2 to 3/4 oz

Also, are you set for single or double shot?

It takes ~10-12 seconds to start flowing.  I haven't timed the flow, but will at some point soon.  It's also doing pre-infusion during that time.

It has settings for both singles and doubles.  Both come up short on the first run.  The single is what I stated before, add an ounce for when I run it on the double setting.  And I'm using a relatively dark roast (Old Bisbee Bali Blue) as it's what I had on hand.  I don't tend to have multiple beans at any given time because I'm the only one drinking it and I don't want it sitting for months.  Not sure what I'll do for the next batch of beans.

22 hours ago, n_maher said:

It takes ~10-12 seconds to start flowing.  I haven't timed the flow, but will at some point soon.  It's also doing pre-infusion during that time.

It has settings for both singles and doubles.  Both come up short on the first run.  The single is what I stated before, add an ounce for when I run it on the double setting.  And I'm using a relatively dark roast (Old Bisbee Bali Blue) as it's what I had on hand.  I don't tend to have multiple beans at any given time because I'm the only one drinking it and I don't want it sitting for months.  Not sure what I'll do for the next batch of beans.

I always weigh beans for each shot, and then time the shot.  I aim for about 30 secs from when I push the button, so for pre infusion maybe a bit longer.

Bought a little cheap gram scale just for weighing shots, and made a little arduino to measure grouphead temps,  and I added a shot timer function to the arduino.   So in daily use its pretty easy for my morning latte.

For bean storage, I think I said this already, but I vacuum pack in about 1/2 lb per and freeze my beans to keep them fairly fresh.  I buy 5 lbs at a time, and it takes a few months to go through it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For espresso, I've kind of come to the conclusion that, as long as the quality is semi-decent, the beans are the least important aspect: grind and extraction will have much more of an effect on the flavor.  Pour-over is different, of course.

On 8/25/2019 at 11:51 AM, HemiSam said:

grawk,

I looked up Indian coffee out of curiosity.  Is this where you whip coffee, sugar and a bit of liquid into a frothy paste?  I've seen some make "Cuban" coffee this way before.

HS

India is a big place: I'm sure coffee is made many different ways there.

• Like 1

For espresso, I've kind of come to the conclusion that, as long as the quality is semi-decent, the beans are the least important aspect: grind and extraction will have much more of an effect on the flavor.  Pour-over is different, of course.

That doesn’t match my experience at all. Beans make a huge difference. Unless you like French or Italian roast espresso blends of course.

Yes, you have to have the right grind, temperature, roast profile, pressure and temperature profile during extraction, but all that is just a skill. Beans are the difference between Starbucks and awesome.

^^ You say just like it's not seriously good coffee.  I've loved the few batches I've been able to buy.

Mysore coffee is why I roast my own. I can get them when they’re available and have roast them when I want them.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, grawk said:

That doesn’t match my experience at all. Beans make a huge difference. Unless you like French or Italian roast espresso blends of course.

Yes, you have to have the right grind, temperature, roast profile, pressure and temperature profile during extraction, but all that is just a skill. Beans are the difference between Starbucks and awesome.

Mysore coffee is why I roast my own. I can get them when they’re available and have roast them when I want them.

Starbucks baristas by and large don't know what they are doing, and wouldn't have the time to apply skill even if they had it.  I've made amazing espresso with Starbucks beans. You slightly under-extract with dark roast beans and use a slightly coarser grind.

Edited by EdipisReks1

The beans and the way they are roasted make a huge difference in my experience, but I'm a french press driver.  Good friend that takes the pour over route and we have similar results...the beans and how they are roasted definitely make a difference.

I cannot speak to the espresso route aside from having used several espresso style beans in my press.  Back when I was enamored with darker roasts.  I'm past that phase for the most part. 

HS 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

finally got around to grabbing an aeropress this weekend. used three times with three different test runs (Old Bisbee Kenya AA beans) including one inverted pour and it's just a killer cup each time. it will be quite a while before i french press again.