Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

14 hours ago, robm321 said:

I've had the Aero for a couple of weeks. I enjoy it for a relatively quick cup but pour over (Kalita 185) just tastes better to me. 

I found some tasty methods recently from this (recipes at the bottom) Linkey

thanks for this link, Rob. i noticed that inverted method produces a smaller volume and a more concentrated pour so i tried bypassing this morning with a few different volumes and that worked quite well. balances out the pour.

• Like 1

added a proper scale (jennings cj-4000). needed to have precise measuring on my bean-to-water ratio (starting with 1:16 after bypassing and will play around with that). i now have everything i would need to do pour over except for that actual pour over device, something i said i wouldn't go off the deep end for...

i'll give it a couple months before i end up with a kalita wave or hario v60. more interested in kalita, seems a bit easier to use and more consistent. 

• Like 3

I've been a french press lover for a looooong time.  Simple and the coffee is great...what you put into it.  

I'm curious about stepping out without large machinery...the wifey has gone whole foods plant based so there's no more room on the counters...LOL.

Chemex or Aeropress?  The Chemex to me looks the more logical conclusion but I am not well versed so thought I'd toss this out.  I do have a gooseneck kettle.  I redneck the grind though...don't have a precise grinder. 

HS

3 hours ago, HemiSam said:

I've been a french press lover for a looooong time.  Simple and the coffee is great...what you put into it.  

I'm curious about stepping out without large machinery...the wifey has gone whole foods plant based so there's no more room on the counters...LOL.

Chemex or Aeropress?  The Chemex to me looks the more logical conclusion but I am not well versed so thought I'd toss this out.  I do have a gooseneck kettle.  I redneck the grind though...don't have a precise grinder. 

HS

without a good grinder, you're better off staying with the french press method

• Like 2

ironically, my hario skerton seems to do worse with coarse grind for french press than it does with medium/medium-fine grind for aeropress. the wider the gap for the burrs, the more variance it seems in the grounds. hoping the lido 3 alleviates this (reviews online suggest that is the case).

Sage advice, grawk.  I need to get off my arse and get a grinder...it's been simply a matter of space in our smallish kitchen and the fact that our parents have gifted us way too much crap kitchen divecery...LOL.  My boys are in college now and I figure a few more years and I'll call it a day at least at my current career (location is spectacular for commute and for restaurants and such).  We'll likely move then and I'll get me a SPECTACULAR kitchen.  

OK...OK.  Screw it.  Grinder recommendations?  Try to be a BIT sensitive to the size of the thing if possible.  Medium is OK.  Gargantuan not practical yet.

Thanks Team HC!

HS

P.S. for some reason I quit receiving post notifications on subscribed threads.  Glad I'm back :) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, grawk said:

ground coffee starts losing flavor in about 10 minutes.  You won’t see an advantage to switching to pour over if you also switch to pre-ground coffee.

I think you exaggerate.  It probably starts losing its flavour immediately, but you think you can taste the difference at ten minutes?  I call bullshit.

12 minutes ago, robm321 said:

Not only that but if you're a daily drinker it gets old fast. 

Yeah, I understand that, and I’ve cut way back on the drinking, so I cut way back on the buying as well.   Instead of having 8 1lb. bags going, I only have 3 or 4 1/2 lb. bags going, and only buy two at a time.  (I don’t ignore all y’all’s advice.)  So two of those four are usually almost done.

The older coffee is going to my sister for composting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I bought my brother a hand grinder for Christmas – a local coffee place roasts their own coffee, so I bought him two bags to start. Personally, I've been cutting down on coffee, but I still drink it a few times a week – it's more of a treat that way:

https://www.hario.jp/seihin/productdetail.php?product=MMSP-1-HSV

mmsp-1-b_large.jpg?v=1542740057

I have a little Bialetti Moka Express stove top coffee maker that I sometimes use – definitely not for fancy coffee... it's old school, but fun to use once in a while:

bailetti-moka-express-aluminium-stovetop

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 3

My mother is Cuban.  I grew up with those brewers all around me.  Good memories!

That vid with the reviews of the grinders was very useful, TMoney..;thank you!

CoffeeGeek is big on the Baratza Virtuoso.  I see it and the Virtuoso+ on Amazon...the plus has solid marks.  Any value in upgrading?  I'm challenged more for space than the money delta and they're all the same size as best I can tell.

HS

On 1/11/2020 at 8:44 AM, grawk said:

ground coffee starts losing flavor in about 10 minutes.  You won’t see an advantage to switching to pour over if you also switch to pre-ground coffee.

Absolutely. The first investment needs to be a good ceramic burr grinder. When I bought mine, I mentioned in this thread that it would take lots of cups of coffee to pay back the price, and Dusty said "No - only one cup!". Sage words.

It goes way back. In Nevil Shute's 1950 novel "A town called Alice", the opening is in a Gentleman's Club in London. One guy is bemoaning the poor quality of post War coffee, and saying that they don't understand that real coffee ought to be made less than 10 minutes after grinding the beans.

When I'm just making coffee for me, I use the Aeropress. When I'm making for me and my wife, or when we have guests, I use a French Press (I have two sizes).

fuck yeah it's coffee time

got the lido today, everything i read online is pretty much on point. adjusted the dials twice and brewed a medium-dark Kenya AA, very well rounded cup when it got a few ticks above room temp. most interesting is my yield was noticeably better with this lido compared to the hario. my bypass/water addition was like a third of what i'd been adding before. i think this made the cup a bit heftier overall.

afterwards i did adjust the grind to a little less fine for my brew tomorrow morning, a little more coarse should dial this in. fun stuff, also got some Ethiopian in from Heart Coffee in Portland so i need to rush through the remainder of this Kenyan which should be easy since i'm drinking twice my normal amount since i got the aeropress.

B412D728-CC59-4152-B6EB-1A2F80CF00B4.thumb.jpeg.cd8327a47aa71ebc0b01cc93f0b0510d.jpeg

616DAE67-A2BD-4D0D-BF58-94D4A5C1E06B.thumb.jpeg.60e60ff773540cfd3112596906b0dbf5.jpeg

912E1675-46D6-416B-993C-86D9FE78723B.thumb.jpeg.a3ee4c6d917ce089f6647219b525f531.jpeg

• Like 6