Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

Ok, I have a line on a Diedrich 12.5 KG roaster, so now it's time to get serious.

Who would be interested in signing up for 3, 6 or 12 months of coffee from me? 2 pounds a month, $30 a month local or $40 a month shipped? I'd pick 2 varieties a month. I'm trying to see if it would make sense to try this. I need to hit the equivalent of about 80 yearly subscriptions to make it worth investing in the roaster.

Edit: Ok, that was amazingly unclear. $90 for 3 months face to face, $120 shipped. $165 for 6 months face to face, $225 shipped, and $300 for a year, or $420 shipped.

• Like 3

I hope you mean the 2.5, not the 12.0, if it's latter way to go full HC on that sumbitch. 

I'm not sure I go through enough coffee to justify two pounds a month, so I'm struggling to commit a bit and am reviewing my purchase history with OBR currently to try to determine conclusively. 

nope, it's a 12.  It was a 5 years down the road purchase, but one showed up for the price of the 5 lb roaster I was looking at.

The biggest drawback is it's 1000 freaking pounds.  So there's housing the beast that's at issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n_maher said:

Seems like it might be, dare I say, too much?  Even if the price is right, if it's way more than required and causes complications like housing it may not be a good deal. 

I agree, and if it weren't something that was on my radar for a future purchase, I wouldn't consider it at all.  But this particular machine can do reasonably small roasts when needed, so it's a good one to grow on. It's something that's on my radar. I'm not positive I can pull it off.

14 minutes ago, Augsburger said:

I would be very interested but my coffee consumption is down to less than a pound a month.  So not much here in the way of helping you meet your numbers.

Quitter.  I can help you with that issue...

Anyway.  We'll see.  I'm trying to figure out if this is life presenting me with an opportunity to go all in in a time when other things might make that easier, or if it's just something to think about in the future.

New batch of coffees today.  Sipping my first cup of one of the Ethiopians.  Packaging is very nice as is their mission statement.  They roast to my tastes...more to the medium side.  I'll report back with more meaningful thoughts once I've gotten to spend some cups with them.

HS

1FC3EFD4-E4C0-4902-9C38-80098AA14CBE_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.c5446945567191537ef40d5a68958471.jpeg

• Like 1

missed Dan's roaster update but am interested for sure. the mysore is one of the better bags i've ever done with aeropress. 

@HemiSam definitely a fan of Heart. the very first Ethiopian i had from them was one of the first brews i ever made on v60 and it was absolutely fantastic.

• Like 2

Best of luck, Dan.  

On the coffee note, I expect my consumption will normalize now that we're opening our offices back up on a staggered basis.  I was going in every third week as I had a designation that allowed it.  Good for mixing things up for me, but even those days I'd brew a nice latte before I left.  I've gotten caffeine spoiled...

HS

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the opportunity to spend time with all the Heart roasters coffees purchased using the Chemex and the French Press (even the Hoffman method a time or two).  I do recommend the sample pack #2 which included two Ethiopians and two Kenyan coffees, described as more fruit and flower.  I also added a 12oz bag of Columbian La Toma to enjoy the free shipping.  

A few observations:  they choose and handle the coffees well.  Very approachable roasts.  The beans look attractive (of varying sizes depending on variety) with very few broken bits and they are roasted to medium based on the five coffees which is a sweet spot for my tastes.  

My favorite has been the Ethiopian Gedeb which has notes of rose oil, peach and sugarcane.  I have to say their descriptions are more sophisticated than I am accustomed to and, frankly, I can sometimes identify.  One of the Kenyans was my next favorite.

Overall, I'm pleased this thread has me casting my net wider...I can be a creature of habit (understatement...).  I believe I'll try Onyx Coffee Lab next once I start running low...

HS

• Like 1

I've been consuming coffee at home more rapidly than normal due to the work at home rotation I've been on a couple of weeks.  That ends after the holiday we're celebrating Stateside on Monday, but my coffee stores were low so I pulled the trigger on some Onyx Coffee Labs goodies....a sample pack and a couple of Indonesian roasts that looked interesting.

Reason I'm posting is an app I use found a code IWASNAUGHTY that saved me 15% and shipping is free on orders over $25 right now.  Thought I'd share...

HS

On 4/3/2020 at 9:37 AM, Aura said:

i haven't touched my french presses for 4-5 months now and have been meaning to try out the Hoffman French Press method. happened to have some crap beans this week that i ordered from amazon (meant to only clean my grinder out after i use some capsules) and i tried pour over with them yesterday... utterly terribly. well a decent finish but still pretty bad.

so i went with this 'unpressed' french press style for the same beans this morning and it definitely turned out better! very acceptable. better balance and some nuttiness. on par or slightly-better with any basic drip i'd get from a good cafe and that is a great result considering the beans i'm using. and ironically it's easier to clean out the press afterward because the filter needs a 5 second rinse rather than a full cleaning out of residue and oil.

So I tried to do this a couple times, seriously, from beginning to end, but as time progressed and repetitions iterated, I started stopping doing less and less.  Now my takeaways are -- because they seem to offer the most return for the least effort:

• Distilled water -- yes, especially in my area, where I don't even like the taste of the water
  • "...none of the silty sludgy stuff at the bottom" -- not so much.  The main reason I do French press is it provides a richer flavour experience.  I used to drain the last few drops, but now I don't -- that's the entirety of what I get out of the bottom.
  • Spoon off the floaters -- definitely.  Just makes it easier to press, duh.
  • Boiling water -- no, not so much.  I believe this is to compensate for the longer wait, so I just don't.  I believe there is an optimal temperature for most coffees to brew at -- or at least start brewing at -- so I prefer my coffee slightly too cool and brewed at the "right" temperature.  If you think there is an optimal drinking temperature which is hotter than what you get at the end, just throw it in the microwave for a few seconds.  I do sometimes do this, because I do believe there is.
  • Freshly ground beans -- alright, you all sold me on that, I definitely grind my beans fresh every morning just before brewing.

That said, there is no amount of correctly brewing coffee that will make coffee I don't like into coffee I do like.  I tried.  Didn't work.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yum, acidbasement!

Infatuated with Onyx Coffee Labs offerings.  They got a bit she-she with the packaging an unfortunately dropped the quantity included (looks like a Niemann Marcus offering...LOL), but boy the Kenya Rungeto Peaberry I'm drinking (Chemex drip brewed) is delumpsh.

HS

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...