Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

A boiling water rinse of those chemex filters is needed regardless of their age IMHO.  The nice thing is it also serves to heat up my chemex carafe so the coffee is hotter once I'm ready to pour....I swirl around the hot water once it's made its way through the filter.

I have the Japanese coffee on my agenda...  I really like hot coffee so it's not often I'll drink iced.  Need to try it anyhoo...

HS

• Like 1

Speaking of filters, for V60 I love CAFEC roast-specific filters. I have some for light roast and while the reduced flow rate can be a bit troublesome, their ability to keep out finer particles is really great.

I may hop on the decaf Japanese-iced bandwagon. Haven't had a decaf pour-over in a loooong time and it's not like it's trouble to make one.

• Like 1

I have wanted to try alternative papers, but I’m sitting on several hundred Hario papers, so I have a hard time justifying it (because it’s such a huge investment *insert rolling eyes emoji*). 

The decaf I have, which is from Levercraft, is very good. My favorite local coffee roaster has a sugar process Honduras that I’m going to try when I have an empty jar again. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

9 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I have wanted to try alternative papers, but I’m sitting on several hundred Hario papers, so I have a hard time justifying it (because it’s such a huge investment *insert rolling eyes emoji*). 

The decaf I have, which is from Levercraft, is very good. My favorite local coffee roaster has a sugar process Honduras that I’m going to try when I have an empty jar again. 

Ah yeah same, still have like a good 50 Hario papers but I bought CAFEC anyway. Viva unneeded things!

I'll have to try that Levercraft decaf. I currently have a Saint Frank decaf (also sugar process) that I can't dial in. I'm pretty sure I'll go through the remainder before I dial it in, and that's never a good feeling...

4 hours ago, Covered_Ears said:

Ah yeah same, still have like a good 50 Hario papers but I bought CAFEC anyway. Viva unneeded things!

I'll have to try that Levercraft decaf. I currently have a Saint Frank decaf (also sugar process) that I can't dial in. I'm pretty sure I'll go through the remainder before I dial it in, and that's never a good feeling...

The upside is that you’ll have run out and won’t have to buy it again!

9 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

The upside is that you’ll have run out and won’t have to buy it again!

If there were a purgatory for coffee lovers, I'm certain it'd be this: an unlimited supply of coffee, but it's that one type you really have trouble dialing in. You could probably eventually do it, hence purgatory.

On 7/17/2021 at 2:25 PM, Covered_Ears said:

If there were a purgatory for coffee lovers, I'm certain it'd be this: an unlimited supply of coffee, but it's that one type you really have trouble dialing in. You could probably eventually do it, hence purgatory.

funny thing is, if I had to only have 1 type of coffee, I'd probably want it to be something I felt like continuously fiddling with.  It'd at least keep it interesting. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, grawk said:

funny thing is, if I had to only have 1 type of coffee, I'd probably want it to be something I felt like continuously fiddling with.  It'd at least keep it interesting. 

Very good point! I certainly do think espresso is interesting in that regard -- even if it's more or less dialed in it's going to change with the day, and that can be quite interesting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HemiSam said:

Any thoughts on siphon style coffee?

HS

siphone coffee.jpg

It makes good coffee. I wouldn’t have one at home. It’s silly. But it makes good coffee at a coffee bar that is willing to be silly.

Keep in mind that I have a completely manual espresso setup and I think siphon coffee is silly for home. 

Go for it. 

2 hours ago, swt61 said:

I'm just mad about siphon. Siphon's mad about me...

Now I have to listen to Donovan. Hardly a curse!

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Haha 1

Looks like the Acaia 2021 Pearl will fit on my Flair Signature-cum-Pro 2’s drip tray. I already have two Signature brew groups with gauges and the Pro 2 group will be here soon. 

I bought the Acaia with drip in mind, but I guess I’ll be practicing pulling shots for  my cats until I move and have more than one human to make coffee for: three brew groups and all, would be a waste to not make cat cappuccino. 

Crema Coffee tamp/distributors for the Signature and the Pro2, respectively. The one for the Pro2 weighs 668 grams. It’s a unit. I’m sure they are gonna make one for the Flair 58, which will sink to the center of the earth. I would get a 58, but if I didn’t have to travel to see my partner I would just get a MaraX and an Option-O P-64, as I don’t have space for a stationery until then.

I should have just gotten the Pro 2 to begin with.

I’m enjoying this shit either way.  I’ve pulled way better shots with the Flair than I ever did with the midrange Breville electric I have. Also mostly much worse shots, but the highs are high and the lows are okay with milk  

E86CF8B8-B108-4C73-98A6-05ED63CF59E4.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 11:24 AM, EdipisReks1 said:

Have you pulled shots with the Levercraft decaf? I'm thinking of buying some!

51 minutes ago, Covered_Ears said:

Have you pulled shots with the Levercraft decaf? I'm thinking of buying some!

I have indeed. Keep in mind that my roast date was 7/5, so it’s still pretty off-gassy, so I do an extra 10 seconds or so of pull (using a lever machine, where you flow profile by default), but it’s very good. 

Tasty cortado in the afternoon is a nice thing.  This coffee is basically what you would expect a high altitude light/medium single farm roast Colombian to taste like. I can’t think of higher praise for a decaf. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I have indeed. Keep in mind that my roast date was 7/5, so it’s still pretty off-gassy, so I do an extra 10 seconds or so of pull (using a lever machine, where you flow profile by default), but it’s very good. 

Tasty cortado in the afternoon is a nice thing.  This coffee is basically what you would expect a high altitude light/medium single farm roast Colombian to taste like. I can’t think of higher praise for a decaf. 

Thanks! Very good to know it doesn't fall short of expectations -- indeed, that's quite high praise for decaf. Anything more would enter into "ehhh is this really true?" territory. To be fair to the Saint Frank decaf (also Colombian) I think it was past its prime when I started having extreme dial-in issues, and that certainly does it...

• Like 1

This is what frozen beans get you. Yes, sure: the crap burr grinder I’m using has been modified. I designed and 3D printed a new burr holder. It’s still a piece of shit. This is semi-fine for pour-over, ground from frozen. Just three weeks old crap from somebody I like well enough. No fines, no boulders. Frozen coffee beans. 

0D6E0631-21A2-45CE-BEE4-708E746E5D28.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1