Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

9 hours ago, blessingx said:

You may want to contact them and offer professional durability testing. 

I can drive a 16 penny nail in two hits. Give me that hammer! It'll be crystal dust in seconds.

What was this fucking thread about anyway?

• Haha 1

I'm having a small issue with the Flair Royal: the shaft/crown interface is switching when the torque of beans happens. I have contacted Flair, and I have instructions on how to fix the issue, but between my fingers not working and not having the tools on hand to do so, it is just not something I can do at the moment. 

I bought an Option-O Remi with the contemporary burr set. Will be interesting to compare with the Flair Royal (when it worked correctly, and it was excellent).

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

Holy smokes the Option-O Remi is nice. I’ve run through a few ounces of the cheap beans I tend to keep (purchasable in 2 pound bags from Amazon!) specifically for dialing in grind. 

I’ve used cafe Mahlkoenig’s that didn’t grind this consistently. They did grind with less effort, admittedly… ;)

From a fit-and-finish and human interface design perspective there are improvements I could suggest. It would make a rather expensive and very low production hand-grinder into a very, very expensive and exceptionally low production hand-grinder, so I understand why the “corners” that were cut were cut. 

I like it a lot and I honestly don’t care* if the Flair Royal is returned fixed. 

*A lie. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

I think I’m pretty sure I’ll be getting an Option-O counter top grinder after I move and have room for an electric setup again. 

Grinds were exceptionally even and consistent. Keep in mind that I grind from frozen (after an off-gas period), which substantially improves median grain size, but even still: I’m impressed. P64 would look nice next to a Mara X in my partner’s basement.

Best shot I’ve pulled from the Flair. 

As an aside: I completely disassembled the Remi this morning. My guess is the average person wouldn’t haven’t gotten it back together (there were parts of the reassembly that were a struggle until I figured out “the trick,” but these were also not parts interfaces that were ever meant to be end-user facing). 

I still think there is room for improvement, but I would say the same to Rolex about the watch on my left wrist and I would say the same to Apple about the watch on my right, so hey: sometimes things are just the things they are: everything is made to a price point.

Highly recommended if you want a hand-grinder (at least with the contemporary burrs; I can’t speak to the conventionals). 

Edited by EdipisReks1

The Option-O Remi has some issues that piss me off, in human/machine interface design and just “what the fuck were you thinking?” design, but two things that don’t piss me off are grind quality and grounds retention. 

Those are, respectively, “impeccable” and “none to the error margin of my scales.*”

Plus it’s a good bicep workout. 

I put 32.51 grams of beans in and got 32.5/49/51 grams of too fine (my fault) grounds out. Made a good cup after I adjusted my pour (I wasn’t gonna waste 32.51 grams of these beans**).

*and I have good scales. 

**I was willing to waste the error-margin worth. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1