Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

17 minutes ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Somehow I suspect everyone's going to treat it like one of those shake weight thingies to get every last particle out.

It’s a shake weight with a sieve. If it gets coffee dorks to exercise I’m all for it*.

*almost certainly won’t make your coffee worse or better. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 7:25 AM, naamanf said:

Signed up for Trade Coffee a while back because I’m lazy and like trying new things. So far all the coffee I’ve received has been really good and ultra fresh. Latest batch that I received a couple days ago. 

B1AFE279-1E9F-4233-98E0-5B45B0B8CD6D.jpeg

image.jpg

Is it me and my failing memory, or does your Arkansas counter look a lot like your Georgetown counter?

It's kind of funny, because I can see a picture on here, from the corner of my eye and know immediately who's house, just from the counter. 

Counters I know by heart :

Nate's

Mike's (absorbine sr.) Cool 50's retro

Al's (SF & Fairfax)

Naaman's (Georgetown)

There must be one or two more, not coming to mind.

Edited by swt61

On 8/15/2021 at 6:40 AM, robm321 said:

This could be interesting.

Shimmy Coffee Sieve

https://fellowproducts.com/products/shimmy-coffee-sieve

ShimmySieve-Hero_PureFront_600x.jpg?v=16

I think I saw a review of this! Apparently it'll work well if you're using a grinder that produces many fines, and the costs work out in a way such that your initial investment plus this sieve (~50 USD) is less than, say, a Baratza Encore.

• Like 1

OK, I am ready to toss my current grinder out the window so I need some recommendations. I currently use the Chemex for brewing so I need a grinder that does medium coarse grinds, is electric because I don't want to work for my morning brew and my price point is between $300 to $500. I like the LAGOM Mini so far but want to know what else you people like. 

Thanks for any recomendations and remember, friends don't let friends drink Starbucks.

• Like 1

I use one of these

https://baratza.com/grinder/vario/

Actually mine is a Mahlkoenig, but it seems they have discontinued it. https://www.mahlkoenig.de/products/vario-home . The 54mm ceramic burrs last for an eternity. Hundreds of coarse and fine settings. I set the fine about half way, and the coarse at 4 for Aeropress and 7 for French press when using Hoffman. An old friend used his on the very fine setting for use in his espresso machine.

Every now and then I take the burrs out, and wash them to get rid of old coffee deposits, then brush out the housing with a small brush. Put the burrs back in - job done. Maybe once every 3 months if I remember to do it.

Typical US supplier https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/baratza-vario-burr-grinder-with-metal-portaholder which seems to be in your price range - just!

• Like 1

https://fellowproducts.com/products/ode-brew-grinder?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BRD&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9OKix_q38gIVGlNyCh0xmA-4EAAYASAAEgLUx_D_BwE

That's my "not espresso" grinder, and I'm pretty happy with it.  No retention, consistent grind.  If it went fine enough for espresso it'd be perfect, but I'm happy with my niche for that.

8E5A1510-1A30-4C2A-BB9F-AA29BC35F1D2.jpeg

• Like 4

Replacement Flair Royal arrived (doesn’t have the slip issue; it was apparently a washer that was not the correct thickness, which doesn’t give me a lot of confidence for longevity). Option-O Remi with contemporary burrs, slightly modified to suit my needs. Orphan Espresso Lido ET here soon. If anybody wants a comparison of three higher end hand grinders, I would be happy to (I’ve had a Commandante, but it was the second version: I’m sure I remember it fairly well).

The modded Option-O Remi (minor mods were just for ergonomics for me in particular, and don’t affect grind at all) is dialed in, and produces incredibly good coffee (the even fluff!!) for pour-over and manual espresso. I’ll dial in the other two first before comparing, as I’m not an asshole, but I’m sure I’m biased towards the Option-O. I’m traveling soon, a few weeks from now, and I will take all three in their travel cases with my Flair Pro2 (V60 is already there, where I will end up). I might drop off a Breville thermoblock machine too (think Gaggia classic-ish), so I would test a variety of grinds. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

Had to go to my storage unit anyway, so I grabbed my old Breville 830xl. Apparently I put it away wet, or maybe it was dripped on for two years. I have it cleaned up as best I can, and it works great after pushing a couple liters of water through. 

It’s not quite as good as a Gaggia classic (it’s just a 54mm thermoblock, afterall), but I think it’ll work fine at my partner’s place, if the Encore with M2 burr upgrade and recalibration works okay (she’ll never use it so it won’t matter).

CD81DBA8-8F13-4B11-84DF-982C8203308C.jpeg