Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

36 minutes ago, EdipisReks1 said:

Fancy coffee (and fancy kitty litter) purchased. Coffee roasted on August 26th. No idea when the cat litter was made.

45384A40-8F5A-4C65-8F54-92965648A3C0.jpeg

Let us know what you think about the Ethiopian, ER. 

I have had a few coffees that were non-traditional like anaerobic. Very rich for me…syrupy. 

HS

I had a shot of this today: I have known the roaster for two decades. He said it was good (shot was from beans roasted a couple weeks ago). It was an excellent shot. Bright, acidic, had a backbone. 

What I have is way too fresh for espresso, but I’ll find out how it is for pour-over tomorrow. Very light roast, but I’m sure I can manage!

Edited by EdipisReks1

The Ethiopians that have the very berry forward profile are pretty much my favorites.

Once a local roaster and coffee shop owner had this blueberry bomb of an Ethiopian.  Bought all I could.  They moved on sadly but ever since then I've been searching out something as good to my palette.  

First world problems...

HS

2 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I’ll happily send you a bag of this, but I won’t likely go to the shop again for another week or so (roast day is Tuesday and Friday anyway). 

That is very kind, ER.  Much appreciated.

I am flush with beans so please enjoy your java!

HS

First drink pulled off the refurbished machine. I went WAY too coarse, but that was my fault: it’s because I’ve gotten used to manual espresso. Oat milk, so any “art” was accidental. But I got decent stretch.  The Option-O grinder will take me as fine as I want to go, down to “this won’t work for even Turkish.” I went a bit finer than I do for the Flair. Should have gone a bit more.

I managed to make a fast lungo (I don’t want to make a lungo fast if I can help it!). it was drinkable. A run of the mill “if a random coffee shop handed this to me in a paper cup I would be fine with it” latte. Will be better tomorrow. 

4BC20608-3130-472C-A69B-C9DE0699EA5F.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1

I don’t know what I’ll be doing, but I gotta get up early in the morning and you can bet I’ll make coffee. It’s not a Decent, but I have decided that my worthless dining room table can maybe be something else. Anybody who wants to come over can have a shot: I can pull a few in a row. Assume I have a kettle. 

Everything will be covered in cat hair by the morning  

D612FBE7-63CF-4AFB-BE04-20C003675349.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 2

The Cyimbili Rwanda is delicious: V60 15:1, 4 minute draw down, OG* at 1200. First time I’ve used the OG for pour over: I guessed 1200 and got it about right. Just delightful. It smells like it has cocoa powder, and is balanced and sweet, with a lot of Meyer lemon, but it’s not super acidic. Drying, but not too twiggy. Round. My mouth feels like I have had a good cup of Darjeeling: you know that puckered sensation in your soft palate that lingers? The sweetness lingers too.

Recommended. Thanks again, Covered_Ears. 

*like any scientific instrument, the OG is complicated until you get it, and then it’s easy. It’s an exceptionally good grinder. I recommend completely disassembling it and reassembling, and calibrating, if you get one: not because it needs calibration out of the box, but to understand how it works. The “recommended” way to thread it back is not necessary if you aren’t a fuck up: just don’t fuck it up. I consider it a design flaw, personally, but it’s not something you’ll need to do much over the 50+ year life span of the grinder. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

Not the ugliest shot I’ve ever pulled. A bit fast, but not bad. 18:40 in about 25 seconds. I did a manual pre-infusion. This is the anaerobic Ethiopian. Quite tasty. Slightly sour and under-extracted. I’ll go finer next (this was with the Option-O), but quite tasty  

FD719023-3CB6-4331-90E4-7B4B741DA0FB.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1

I can’t speak to it for espresso (I haven’t had it long enough), but if you are doing pour-over I can’t recommend this coffee enough. I did a precise 20/320 16:1. 4:30 on the dot. 60 bloom, swirl, three pours. Off boil. Lido OG bang on 1200. V60. 

God-damned it’s good, and this is coming from me, and I’m fucking jaded.

I’m still thinking about it and I finished that cup 20 minutes ago.

7832AE22-9EDA-4B59-9B65-49BEBAEFDACC.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1

2 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I think it’s a coincidence, but the Flair Pro 2 funnel fits perfectly on the Option-O Remi dosing cup. 

6AC20221-4B33-44C8-8BB3-BDA05FFED544.jpeg

most espresso related things have standardized on 58mm, so it's probably not a coincidence.  I know the dosing cup with the niche is just under 58mm, so it will match up with a portafilter.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grawk said:

most espresso related things have standardized on 58mm, so it's probably not a coincidence.  I know the dosing cup with the niche is just under 58mm, so it will match up with a portafilter.

Except that is a 46 mm or so funnel. :) It’s for my Flair Pro 2, which isn’t a standard portafilter.

Edited by EdipisReks1

13 hours ago, HemiSam said:

Good stuff, ER.  I'm not a fan of Mexican coffee and that flavor profile noted is why....but glad you found something you like so much

The flavors listed aren’t quite what I got. But it was a lot of chocolate. To the point where I kinda wondered “does his have cocoa powder?”

I’m still thinking about that cup of coffee. Maybe I’ll make another in the morning. 

• Like 1