Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

Travel packs: each 3.000 ounces (according to the Pearl 2021: yes, I chose individual beans at the end of that measurement, no I don’t think it’s 3.000 ounces. Pretty close to 3 ounces, though). I figure that is 4 cups/5 shots each bean with a bit of leeway.

I’m traveling with a fair amount of coffee gear.  The main reason (excuse) of why I have the Flair stuff and the hand grinders and why I bought my partner pour over stuff: to have coffee I’m willing to drink when I get to NC.

4615A6E8-4B57-459F-A967-355650CB4B68.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1

20 minutes ago, grawk said:

Why would you go finer, that timing sounds perfect?

That time includes a manual pre-infusion. I pull the shot once the Pyxis detects drops. So really more like 26-7 seconds (I click my watch as soon as pressure is reached: I have to surf this machine).

Edited by EdipisReks1

I would go slightly finer. The Lido OG is really more a scientific instrument than a coffee grinder: I would do a couple microns finer next time, with this anaerobic bean. I can’t reliably do finer adjustments than that (+/- 5, supposedly).

If the next version of the OG required a loupe for micro adjust I would be very happy. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

• 2 weeks later...

I got a great deal on a LNIB Bonavita brewer for my partner. I couldn’t stand her using her crap automatic anymore when good coffee (she does pour over on lazy mornings, but is often in a hurry) isn’t any more difficult or time consuming than the Hamilton Beach she got from Goodwill in undergrad 20 years ago. 

I’m ready impressed with the unit. physically it’s very compact and looks nice, with good quality materials, and the insulated carafe works great. Good pour, and it doesn’t retain too much coffee. 

The brew (I had bloom turned on) does a very credible impression of pour over. Well extracted, flat bed. A good cup of coffee. I’m impressed. Ground at about 14 on the Encore, 15:1 with a good washed anaerobic. 

If you want to get a good automatic drip without spending a ton (I got this for $60 on eBay, MSRP is closer to $200, I think), I recommend it, especially if you are space constrained. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 2

That’s the upgrade model, with heat control (I think) and timer, Nate, but yes: that’s the one. Here is the more basic one I am talking about, which just has a rocker button (press and hold to turn on pre infusion, which stays on until you unplug it, and then turn on/off, basically). I like it a lot. 

017F4A2B-EE32-417D-AFBE-43B93307947C.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, HemiSam said:

bummer, ER.

HS

I didn’t particularly want to spend the money anyway. :) She is super happy with the Bonavita. We figured out a recipe for pre-ground coffee, as her son is sort of noise-shy in the morning until he gets into his cartoons before school. Worked pretty well!

• Like 1

I picked up a Hario Electro with an Option-O Remi adapter from Prima. The Remi is an amazing grinder, but it’s a chore to grind espresso. They suggested that the Hario wasn’t up to dealing with Orphan Espresso OG burrs, but that grinder is super easy anyway, due to the large burrs and significant mechanical advantage (the Hario motor of course finds the burrs to be difficult to start and can’t take advantage of the mechanical advantage given by the design).

I’m looking forward to trying the Hario thingie.

Edited by EdipisReks1

For anybody who is thinking about the Bonavita: the particular one I got for Heather does not have metric markings on the reservoir. It has “cups,” delineated with a range of dose in grams for 2, 4, 6, and 8 (it’s a fairly wide range for dose!).

I tested it, of course: the cup lines are pretty bang on, assuming a 5 ounce cup. With a 15:1 recipe I have Heather adding “4 cups” of water for 20 grams coffee, “6 cups” for 40, and etc. it’s close enough. The brewer will use whatever amount of water you put in, so this is sort of important.

Not every brewer has accurate tanks. It would be nice if it had metric lines on this particular one, but I doubt Heather will care if she is adding 590 or so grams of water instead of 600 for her morning two cups, and this makes it simpler. Certainly better than pouring in water and coffee by eyeball into a piece of crap and hoping for the best!

On 10/3/2021 at 9:13 PM, HemiSam said:

bummer, ER.

HS

I just realized that you might have thought I meant the Bonavita when I said it was “too tall.” Bonavita is perfect for her cabinet height: I meant the Ratio was too tall. I had looked at the Ratio first. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I finally opened my Levercraft Panamanian Gesha. 16.5 in, 40 out in 48 seconds (longer pulls are normal for manual machines, and that includes pre infusion:I used the Flair Pro2 head). I flow controlled: pre-infusion, ramp to 3 for 10 seconds, fast ramp up to 7, then a slow decrease to finish. I find that works well for light roasts. The OG gave me as fluffy a grind as you could want.

This coffee was roasted 9/21. I have never had Gesha before. I dunno if it was the beans or the fact that I’m really getting good with the Flair, but it was absurdly delicious, if you like very light roasts. I’ll be thinking of this shot for a while. And it was pretty. Not quite fine enough for stripes. :)

Puck was slightly wet on top but knocked clean in one piece. The damp puck heads seem to be normal with the Pro2 brewhead. The “classic Flair” brewheads are usually as dry as you could want, but don’t make as good of coffee.

I’ll be thinking about this espresso shot for a while.

31C69DAA-B58F-41CA-9272-6F8692A8ADF3.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1