Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

24 minutes ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I’m very interested in your thoughts: another bean I’ve never had. My freezer is pretty full, though, already!

This one was from the Qima Alchemy lot, and was strawberry forward/rich and bodied in a way I would not expect of a Gesha. But it wasn't a dark roast either. It also had those more floral notes too, just not in the sort of "perfume-y" way I'd describe good Gesha.

Too many variables to really know what is what: first pour over of this bean. First use of the new dripper. First use of the new kettle in a pour over. First use of the new filters (CAFEC), first use of the new server. Slightly too fine (I forgot to recenter the fine adjustment on the OG when I went back to pour over: it worked out): it stalled out at the end.

1:15 with a 20 gram dose. Flavor profile is right in line with the espresso I made from this Gesha. Bright, floral, deep, rich. Delicate but sort of silly. This was a delicious cup of coffee. And talk about zero retention. 20 in, 20 out. 

3A3491EC-929C-4F80-90D5-7173A70E3287.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

Love me some Panamanian!  I shifted away from darker roasts many a year ago, ER.  Found the medium roasts were more to my liking, but I was using a French press solely at the time.  I'm still of the same ilk but use the Chemex these days almost exclusively.  

Once retirement comes and I get a proper espresso maker I might be more inclined to darker roasts again...TBD.

The Yemeni Levercraft I had at Grawk's recommendation a few years back was special....very Cherry forward.  Pricey but I got it.  

Love me fruit forward coffees...Ethiopians are the top of the heap for me thus far.

Sipping on this at the moment...

HS

9bcc90_798993571f774304950a6c72cbc35c79~mv2.png

• Like 2

Come to think of it, I've only had a few so I probably shouldn't draw comparisons about the categories.

I'll see whether Yemenia is in the cards this year or not -- unclear whether Mad Priest will sell it again, and there are some other comebacks (Saint Frank Bolivian Gesha and Nepali coffees) that, while cheaper, I really do hope for.

Should we set up a holiday bean exchange? Cincinnati has a couple really good roasters and I would be happy to share. 

Now that I think about it, I’ll likely be in North Carolina in December, and I found a very good roaster in Greensboro too, so I could share from two areas. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

I’ve done enough experimentation now that the Brewista Gem dripper and CAFEC filters is my new pour over preference. The CAFEC filters are better than the Harios, and the Gem is better than the V60. I’ve tried the various combinations. I can consistently pour longer ratios while maintaining the depth of flavor I get from shorter ratios with the V60, while avoiding some of the harsher notes shorter ratios can give. I do not use the lid with the Gem; I don’t really know why it has one. CAFEC filters in this case are the standard “Abaca” filters, not the light roast specific ones (I haven’t tried them yet).

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

This is excessive but I have to say I'm excited to try many new coffees over the holidays...

Onyx Coffee Lab out of AR is a bit proud of their coffees but I have to say all I have tried have been very good.

https://onyxcoffeelab.com/products/2021-advent-coffee-box-early-bird?utm_source=All Customers that Accept Marketing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Phase 1%3A 2021 ONYX Advent Coffee%2C Early Bird (RuRtjf)&_kx=tvG9gPR3m8o0xXNo_z_Kgc7Ze5S0m24Jq8w0qHs_TTc%3D.X9pTrM

HS

• Like 1

I ordered a Fellow Ode for pour-over. I’m dialing in my hand grinders for espresso only (different grinders for different roast profiles even: I guess that isn’t normal, but I have a bunch of high end hand grinders!), so I’ve been having to use my old Bodum Bistro for drip coffee, and while it works okay, it’s kinda… tired. 

Orphan OG is my main espresso grinder for sure. The grounds it makes are just amazing. You wouldn’t have known the shot I pulled this morning was from an old consumer 51mm Breville. 16.5 in, 40 out in 28 seconds. Washed Ethiopian roasted two weeks ago by my favorite local. Bright, but rich. Great texture. Perfect patterning on the Crema. Zero channeling. I guess there is something to be said about having a machine you know really well, even if it’s no great shakes. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I ordered a Fellow Ode for pour-over. I’m dialing in my hand grinders for espresso only (different grinders for different roast profiles even: I guess that isn’t normal, but I have a bunch of high end hand grinders!), so I’ve been having to use my old Bodum Bistro for drip coffee, and while it works okay, it’s kinda… tired. 

Orphan OG is my main espresso grinder for sure. The grounds it makes are just amazing. You wouldn’t have known the shot I pulled this morning was from an old consumer 51mm Breville. 16.5 in, 40 out in 28 seconds. Washed Ethiopian roasted two weeks ago by my favorite local. Bright, but rich. Great texture. Perfect patterning on the Crema. Zero channeling. I guess there is something to be said about having a machine you know really well, even if it’s no great shakes. 

Any chance you've tried Fellow's new Shimmy?

https://fellowproducts.com/products/shimmy-coffee-sieve