Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

despite only doing pour over i manage to use 3 different manuals myself. OE Lido 3, OE Apex, and Comandante MK3. 

Comandante is the daily driver because it's the fastest and easiest clean up. Apex is for the super expensive bags or if i am feeling serious and trying to dial in. the grounds are absurdly clean out of this one. Lido is for adding a little more body to a brew if i've dialed in or i need excess capacity on a big brew. it produces less visual fines than Comandante and i go back and forth constantly on which produces a better cup. they are very comparable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aura said:

despite only doing pour over i manage to use 3 different manuals myself. OE Lido 3, OE Apex, and Comandante MK3. 

Comandante is the daily driver because it's the fastest and easiest clean up. Apex is for the super expensive bags or if i am feeling serious and trying to dial in. the grounds are absurdly clean out of this one. Lido is for adding a little more body to a brew if i've dialed in or i need excess capacity on a big brew. it produces less visual fines than Comandante and i go back and forth constantly on which produces a better cup. they are very comparable.

Nice! I’ve been wondering about the Apex. Not quite enough to order one: also, I’m not sure if I want to mount it to the table I’m using as my “coffee bar.” I should really sell my Lido ET and Flair Royal, as they don’t get use with the OG and the Option-O Remi around (I should sell the Option-O, really, as it’s redundant with the OG, but I really like using it and it’s very pretty). 

How fine does the Apex go, Bryan?

I got the Ode today. Yeah: it definitely doesn’t do espresso. :) I’ll be using it in the 2-ish range for pour-over, and the test grounds were very consistent. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

6 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

How fine does the Apex go, Bryan?

the finest setting is about as fine you would want to go on an aeropress, so finer than any pour over method would ever tolerate. it can't do espresso. that was also part of my justification to add a comandante which can go into espresso range.

• Like 1

Update: first cup with the Ode. I’m very happy with it. It’s super fast, and the 1.1 version with the interlocking burrs goes much finer than I would ever go for pour-over. No mess particularly. Low retention. I don’t love the grounds bin (I think they are going to come out with an updated grounds bin). Very consistent grind. It is just nice to use. I’m quite happy with it. 

16:1, 15 gram dose, 210 degrees, 2:30 draw-down. Gem dripper and a CAFEC filter. What an amazing coffee. I’ve mostly pulled shots with this, but I think it shines the most as filter. It’s so bright and citrusy and really strongly tastes like hibiscus (they nailed that descriptor) and deep, deep almonds, but it’s not acidic or bitter. It… tastes how you imagine coffee must, when you were a child and saw an adult enjoy a cup. I’m just blown away.

I think I have the Ode dialed in for pour-over, more or less: I’m very happy with it (grounds bin doesn’t even bother me now that I’ve figured out to not use the spout built in). 

D9BABFB4-5A88-48CF-9BF0-437DC478DDA6.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Niche Zero just arrived, as did parts for my busted Italian E61.  Looking forward to fixing a machine and enjoying some clever dripper coffee while I do.

Anyone have any recommendations for crazy coffee I should try?  I have a favorite roaster in Colorado Springs I just bags off, but frankly I know next to nothing.

Edited by Sherwood
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sherwood said:

My Niche Zero just arrived, as did parts for my busted Italian E61.  Looking forward to fixing a machine and enjoying some clever dripper coffee while I do.

Anyone have any recommendations for crazy coffee I should try?  I have a favorite roaster in Colorado Springs I just bags off, but frankly I know next to nothing.

You'll love the Niche, Sherwood.

Although they irritate me with their she-she packaging (costly IMO), Onyx Coffee Labs has exceptional coffee.  They have a sampler box that I think is a super value...might be worth a shot.

Happy caffeinating...

HS

• Like 2

I just made a 15x15 pourover of the levercraft yemenia qima alchemy.  It's definitely NOT my favorite cup ever, but it's pretty interesting.  Very floral and bright, without the sharp acidity that usually accompanies light roasts.  The aroma, both of the beans and the cup, is fantastic.  The body is light, I may go for a higher ratio next time, or maybe even luongo espresso.

• Like 2

Niche has another preorder cycle going right now. I’m tempted just to go for it (looks like December/January delivery), but I want to see some actual reviews of the Eureka single doser, assuming the fucking thing actually ever comes out. With the commercial espresso grinders I’ve had the luck to experience I’ve always really liked flats-burrs, so I’m afraid I’ll have fomo, but at the same time I “need” (I don’t actually need, of course: I have wonderful espresso grinders, they just require a little work) to get something soon.  

That’s interesting about the Yemeni, Dan. When you say “floral,” what sort of flowers are you thinking? Cloying? I have issues with some floral profiles, but not others. 

2 hours ago, Sherwood said:

I would suggest the Gesha I made today from Levercraft. The one Dan mentioned seems like a good choice too (I like bright coffees). Hopefully Covered_Ears chimes in here too, as she has had some pretty neat coffees, and has turned me on to some that are now favorites. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

4 hours ago, grawk said:

I just made a 15x15 pourover of the levercraft yemenia qima alchemy.  It's definitely NOT my favorite cup ever, but it's pretty interesting.  Very floral and bright, without the sharp acidity that usually accompanies light roasts.  The aroma, both of the beans and the cup, is fantastic.  The body is light, I may go for a higher ratio next time, or maybe even luongo espresso.

Dan: just as a baseline where do you have your Ode set for pour-over with light roasts?

1 hour ago, grawk said:

I used the niche, the ode is in the camper at the moment

Gotcha. I was just wondering if my tastes are inline with others for fine-ness. I bet it is. 

This is the first flat-burr I’ve owned (I’ve been lucky to use some flat commercial machines, but never consistently, and only for espresso).

I’ve noticed, just over a couple days, that I’m getting draw-down times that are much longer than the visual grounds size would suggest. Just from feeling and looking at the coffee I believe the flat-burr is very consistent compared to what I’m used to with conicals, and the “apparent fineness” is just totally different. Maybe I’m over-thinking it. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

8 hours ago, Sherwood said:

Suggest you check out the anaerobic styles...a bit too rich for me but definitely unusual.  They also have some experimental offerings that might be to your liking.

https://onyxcoffeelab.com/collections/new-offerings-coffee/profile:modern

HS

• Like 2