Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

I bought SSP red multipurpose burrs for the ode. I have zero issue with the grind quality of the stock interlocking burrs. What I have an issue with is the lack of adjustment. If the ode had 60 notches, or 160, or 1600, instead of 30 or whatever , I would love it as a filter only grinder. But it’s frustrating with very light roasts, which are what I drink when I have a choice. 

Yeah, yeah; just get a Niche. I can’t even get the Flair 58 I bought. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Haha 1

First use of the Ode with SSP burrs on espresso is not positive. I’ll recalibrate and try again tomorrow. I overreached and used good beans since the pour over results were so good. My fault. The puck came out as clean as you want, but it’s sour and ran fast and long. I could go finer, but I think there is something up.

This is drinkable (well, the second one is), and I’ve had worse from fancy coffee bars, but no thanks. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

I went a bit finer than in that pic. Using a local roaster’s “espresso blend,” which is pretty light. Ground from frozen. Into my workaday Breville: better basket and a puck screen. Perfect fluffy grinds. 

The Ode can pull delicious espresso with the SSP burrs. This shot is just delicious. Thick, textured, tastes of the coffees (this is a blend, but it’s a distinct blend, and you can taste the beans), acidic and bitter, but in balance. Sweet on the back of the palate. Lots of malic acid, but like sweet lime. 16.5 in, 40 out in 28 seconds, no pre-infusion. The puck popped out clean before I even tapped. Could have gone finer.

A wonderful shot. I wish I had more steps, but I can go quite a bit finer if I needed to. I would go a little finer with a single origin light roast, as opposed to this blend. Can’t argue with the results, though  

I would in no way, shape, nor form, recommend the Ode with SSP burrs for espresso unless you are a crazy like me.

God I love coffee.

62DB2484-661B-4568-B012-4BDFE1EBC53F.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

I’m repeating myself here.

This grinder should have the SSP burrs stock. The pour over is absolutely effortless and wonderful. Espresso with it is… frustrating. They could calibrate it with espresso grind not being possible with these burrs and they would have the best pour over grinder in the world under $1,000.

Yeah, you can make amazing espresso with it. I won’t use anything else again, if I have a choice, for filter, and I mostly drink filter. 

I just had the best filter cup I’ve ever had. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

How difficult was the retrofit to the Ode, Jacob?  Approximate cost of the different burrs?  Any concerns with maintaining calibration sufficient to do espresso with it.  I waffle between espresso and French Press mostly (have no patience for pour over, sue me) and while my current grinder is definitely adequate, should anything happen I’d likely look to upgrade a bit.

It took about half an hour. It is not difficult, but you have to make sure you have the fixed burr TIGHT. That is where I was getting drift, I think. Given the lack of adjustment you have to have baseline setting absolutely set. Having said alI of that: it will not work for French press, Nate: the SSP burrs go finer. This grinder will no longer grind for French Press. The burrs are a couple hundred bucks. It will grind amazing French with the stock burrs, but it doesn’t go very fine with those, even with the 1.1 set.

This grinder can do espresso or it can do French press, but not both, and it can’t *really* do espresso, regardless of the burr set. I mean it can, and does, but it also can’t and won’t.  I honestly don’t know what electric grinder to suggest that isn’t ridiculously expensive. I’ll happily send you a hand grinder that will do both; I have spares. But it would be a hand grinder. I really don’t know. The new Vario+ by Baratza maybe? For $500-ish that might he the sweet spot if you do espresso or French, but nothing in between. I know you have a Bambino, which is a better electric machine than what I’m using. 

Sorry I’m not helpful here, but short story long this isn’t the grinder you should have in mind. I like it VERY much, but my use case isn’t the same as yours as I mostly do pour over, and this is amazing for that and frustrating for anything else. 😕

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1