Coffee Drinkers? (or other hot beverages)

tkam

I have to say that I've been hugely impressed by the little Breville Bambino (I guess technically I have the "Plus" but they didn't call it back then).  It's dead simple to use and my taste buds tell me it produces as good or better shots/drinks than my local coffee shops with precious little effort.  It's just one piece of at least a three-part chain (coffee, grinder, brewer) so buying it or any other decent quality piece and failing at the others does you less good than setting yourself up with good or better pieces at each point.  As this thread has shown, you can clearly invest a lot more and I'm not arguing that the results aren't better, but I've hit a nice sweet spot for me that doesn't drive SWMBO insane.  That's my 2c. 

• Like 5

On 11/17/2021 at 9:40 AM, Dusty Chalk said:

Thoughts on Rancilio Silvia espresso machine?  Are there better (or as good) machines that are cheaper?
Rocky grinder?  Niche is cheaper, so is Niche the d-_-b recommendation?

Asking for a friend...in the UK, so yeah, maybe imaginary friend, but pretty sure she's real.

Well, she went ahead and bought the Rancilio combination, and I agree with her reasoning -- it's not just for herself, as she will be able to serve it to clients, so will also be able to write it off on taxes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Onyx Coffee Lab Advent Calendar boxes started shipping.  No clue when I'll receive mine but I'm hoping it's next month as I have some vacation planned.  The 24 individual packages are nitro flushed so hopefully nice and fresh....can't wait.  

Until then I'm roughing it with a lovely Peruvian from Memli.  

Happy caffeinating...

HS

• Like 1

If anybody was wondering just how small the Acaia Pyxis is, here it is on top of my new Lunar (the Pearl is huge and just for pour over, so not in the “competition:” I love my Pearl 2021, but nobody ever suggested it was made for portability). The Lunar would not be accused of being a large scale, by most people, I would think: the Pyxis is just that small. 

8B71C47B-8973-4916-9167-6DA9C954C3BD.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 2

On 11/23/2021 at 10:10 PM, EdipisReks1 said:

Regardless of whether it’s a double wide or a single, I think that looks the business, Sam! Coffee impressions required, of course. 

You bet, ER.

I am a fan of Onyx's coffees.  They went a bit Neiman Marcus on packaging and weight for me, but the quality was undeniable.  

Tomorrow morning is mine.  No way I am awaiting the 24 days till X-mas...

HS

• Like 1

I have only had the Kenyan Peaberry thus far but very tasty.  Spicy and chocolatey.  Some fruity finish on the back end which I really like.  It's rich.  Not as rich as some of the OTT more modern techniques used of late can yield, but it definitely stands up to anything anyone would like to add.

Great start.

HS

That sounds great, Sam!  I haven’t had pea berry in years. 

I made a latte (decided I needed a pick me up while cooking vegan biryani for me and my cats). I purposefully don’t do latte art, but I could have with this almond milk (just using my workaday Breville with a single hole wand tip). Local espresso blend. Perfect nano foam. Well extracted (16.5 in 40 out in 30 seconds), ground using the Ode with SSP (I have it figured out now). Really delicious. 

DAC976B8-3D2E-42D6-B679-CE30DB63525F.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

Prima’s Black Friday sale pushed me over the edge and I bought a Bellman stovetop milk steamer. I’ll use it on the go with the Flair (I travel to my partner’s place for a few weeks at a time periodically). I think it’ll be a lot better than the microwave and my NanoFoamer. The NanoFoamer is really good for what it is, but the whole process is just a pain in the butt. 

Another almond milk latte. I find almond milk to be difficult to use, so I think I should be able to really make some good macadamia nut versions, when I have that milk again. The espresso was 16.5 in to about 40 out in about 30 seconds (not including the pre infusion I had to do because I ground too fine). 

I was tempted to do latte art (I think you can see that in the pic!), but I don’t do latte art so I didn’t. 

14AFF540-D55C-4419-9F00-8A10EADD5D5B.jpeg

• Haha 1

That milk steamer looks interesting, Jacob.

I use an older version of this jobbie (Chef Star or the like is the brand) and it does a good job for what I need.  Not a lot of flexibility but I find it functional and easy to clean.  I bought a second when the dairy kept breaking down...even after two different half n halfs.  Turned out it was the dairy so I gave the second to my folks and they love it.

https://www.amazon.com/EZBASICS-Chocolates-Cappuccino,Electric-Stainless-Steel,Automatic/dp/B08Q3X72D6/ref=dp_prsubs_2?pd_rd_i=B08Q3X72D6&psc=1

HS

Edited by HemiSam
  • Like 1

I’ve thought about getting a steamer/frother like that. My espresso machine obviously does a great (well, good enough) job, but I don’t always want to use it, and I certainly don’t travel with it. Heather had a very busy countertop, so I figured the stovetop would work better. Plus, I like difficult. :)

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Haha 1

I am officially curious about espresso machines.  We are a bit counter space limited.  Not awful but not great, especially with the older lower cabinets over the counters.  

I prefer a more manual machine so I can explore a bit and learn.  I don't need the machine to have a grinder.  I do want a steam wand.  In stock would be better than not.

Love the look of the Lilit Bianca PID V2 but I think it's too big for us.

The Rancilio Silvia could be an option.  A face only a mother could love...LOL.

Thoughts?

HS

Hmmm. If you don’t care about cool kid Instagram bonafides I would get the Breville Dual Boiler. It’s fairly compact, and very good. And should be in stock. You can run it manually*, or run the various programs. 

*I’m assuming you aren’t looking for a lever machine. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, EdipisReks1 said:

Hmmm. If you don’t care about cool kid Instagram bonafides I would get the Breville Dual Boiler. It’s fairly compact, and very good. And should be in stock. You can run it manually*, or run the various programs. 

*I’m assuming you aren’t looking for a lever machine. 

Thank you, Jacob.

I am looking now at the Breville...thank you.

And correct, sir...no lever for this camper.

Sam

29 minutes ago, EdipisReks1 said:

Of course. I couldn’t imagine going wrong with that machine. 

I can suggest a bunch of accessories, as I’m sure many here can, but I think the Breville dual has everything you need to make good coffee out of the box. 

Jacob,

It is a bit on the largish side but I might get away with it...handsome machine as well which I like.

The reviews seem to indicate it doesn't last as long as one might expect for the cost, though.  A bunch of folks have them fail after a couple of years.  Maybe the new ones are less problematic, but looking at the Seattle Coffee Gear site it looks to be a thing.

Sam

28 minutes ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I figure that for every 1 report of a failure on an industrially made device there are 100,000 non-reports of no issues. That’s sort of my rule of thumb. 

Are you sure you want to get into espresso? At home it’s… a hobby, not just a drink you make. I mean; it’s that too.

I love the idea, Jacob.  The additional equipment less so...LOL.

One day we'll upgrade our kitchen / home.  Likely after retirement though given how good my commute is.

HS

P.S.  the Breville is one inch too tall for my cabinets...just measured.  Bummer.

• Like 1