tkam

Coffee Drinkers?

wait that's not how you test for correct coarseness?

• Haha 3

I've the Baratza Virtuoso and I think I've been using it damn near daily for the last six+ years without a hiccup.  I never thought I'd appreciate a grinder, but I do.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, robm321 said:

Only $2,500. 

$650

• Thanks 1

For some reason I'm not receiving notices via email for posts although I'm subscribed...bummer.  Glad I checked back in.

The Niche is a stunner!  Love the footprint and the quality.....hmmmmm.  I'm going to investigate this little gem.  I have to admit the aesthetics are very sexy and this review might have put me over the edge...

HS

• Like 3

I use a Mahlkonig Vario, which is a 43mm flat burr grinder with a hopper feed. It is about the same price as the Niche Zero.

So what would I buy now? Interesting question. The downside with the Niche Zero is the need to weigh the beans for a single grind, which is a longer process (but I listen the majority of the time to vinyl, so I'm no stranger to ritual). The upside is the gorgeous design, and zero retention. And, dare I say, British!

The upside of the Vario is the hopper feed and very comprehensive range of grind settings. It is also compact enough to fit under the cupboards over my work surface. The downside is that it has coffee retention.

• Like 1

I took the hopper off my current grinder (a commercial Wega K10), and do individual dosing.  This lets me store the beans in a valve bag, so they stay fresh longer.  I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the niche zero in the next week or so.  I currently weigh the beans in and the grinds out.  I'm looking forward to skipping the "grinds out" step when I get the Niche.  

espresso is way more important than audio.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Well, I've got a Niche Zero ordered.  Will be selling blood later this afternoon...LOL.

HS

• Like 6

well i'd really intended to get a kalita for pour-over instead of a hario v60 but i came across the v60 drip decanter and it looks about perfect... uses a plastic size 02 so i can make two cups for Mrs and me and save time. plus Prima restocked the untabbed 02 filters which are (apparently) hard to come by now so i ordered a bunch with the decanter. 

pour over come at me bro. 

• Like 2

the v60 rocks. just about done with this Ethiopian after getting mixed results on aeropress. make one brew with this hario and it is significantly better from start to finish. i think the aeropress will be reserved for experimental purposes. used James Hoffman method, very easy and seems like a good base recipe to adjust off of for new bags. also i love getting two reasonable cups from one brew. 

48874A4B-659B-4CFB-9564-DE79FAB46F59.thumb.jpeg.0eae495a705ac75a7c154b0c4d36e36a.jpeg

1F580FE0-02CE-418D-BDDE-E1B2231EA2F7.thumb.jpeg.8a0763b521d576ea103960d870fdf344.jpeg

BEA68017-CDC1-4CEF-9DF4-50AF5CFE5736.jpeg

• Like 4

I arrived at the same conclusion. Other than french Press, the pour over is my favorite. The Aeropress is versitile but leans towards the acidic side for me. That said, I still use it regularly. 

I'd love to get into espresso, but kitchen counter space and cost to get it right keeps me from going down that road. 

• Like 1

I agree with the Aeropress, but the acidic side can be reduced by using water that is 85-90C (so well off boiling), using a fairly coarse grund, and using a short brew time. I've been trying to experiment with mine to make a false espresso, with limited results. Like you, I don't have the space for an espresso machine. And the absolute kitchen rule is never ever put something in a cupboard - after which it stays in the cupboard never to emerge again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1