Coffee Drinkers?

4 hours ago, robm321 said:

I was interested in the clever because I can't get my French press to work without some sludge at the bottom. The clever is immersion also, so I figure it'll maintain some of the oil unlike my pour over. I may pick one up after your impressions, thanks.

Not for nothing but usually the solution is a better grind.  For starters, I'd give a slightly coarser grind a shot, assuming you're grinding your own.  Next step would be to pour through a fine mesh filter or strainer.  I still end up with just a bit of sludge in the bottom of my French-press produced coffee but I don't find it bothersome.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This could be trouble. First results were very promising, if not entirely drinkable.  I'll toy with grind just a big more to get a full extraction but tomorrow morning should be fun and int

it’s not clear if our good friend @grawk has actually started his roasting service but when i received this today it sure felt on-par with any current roaster i use (and i have used quite a few in 202

OK - I threatened some time ago to show my signature penis latte art. Here we go:  

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 8:58 PM, robm321 said:

I have tried a courser grind (I grind my own), but I hadn't thought about pouring through a fine mesh filter. I'll give that a shot.  

Yeah, some sludge is virtually unavoidable on a french press. If you're interested in something in-between that and a paper filter (where the oils and resulting body do get reduced) I've heard good things about cloth filters. I found out about this through James Hoffman's channel; here's a link -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr_I3ZVKKb4

OTOH you could consider experimenting with sifters, but cloth filters will be more worth it IMO.

• Thanks 1

I do pretty well drinking about 75% of the cup then dumping the rest as the sludge gets noticeable. I think I'll stick with the french press from time to time. Somehow, knowing that everyone else has the same issue makes it more tolerable. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think I have my Flair dialed in. The pressure gauge is a must have. This was a delicious shot made with light roast yirgacheffe, just from a grocery store, and ground just with a Bodum Bistro (you can get away with more with a manual machine, since you have complete control).  It’s a pain in the ass to make coffee this way (and I use a NanoFoamer for milk), but I rarely drink coffee, and I love the Flair. I like that it’s a pain in the ass. 

16/32 in 31 seconds, not quite 9 bar. Sweet, complex, moderate acidity, good texture. You couldn’t ask for a more perfect puck or a prettier shot (not that crema adds anything useful). 

ED1814C2-E158-400E-9AFE-DBEBFBED2D60.jpeg

721301A1-23BE-4F05-BD36-08A28925C483.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 3