Google Android OS

manaox2

ComScore: Android jumps ahead of iOS in total US smartphone subscribers -- Engadget

iOS notification are so abysmal. I don't know how people can stand it. As a device OS, iOS is OK, but very pretty/polished, with some faults. As a phone, however, I can't imaging having to live with it.

As far as liking Palm's WebOS more than Android, you'd be happy to know Matias Duarte, the mind behind the interfaces of both WebOS and Sidekick, is now at Google, and he is the driving force behind Android 3.0, aka Honeycomb.

Take some time to watch Exclusive interview: Google's Matias Duarte talks Honeycomb, tablets, and the future of Android -- Engadget if you're interested in the designer/philosophy behind 3.0. 26 minutes long, and rather interesting.

I think once 3.0 is out, a lot of the people harping on design will be interested in giving Android another shot, or first shot. Well, except for Reks and grawk Jobs.

**BRENT**

That's assuming apple doesn't move forward in the same time, doesn't it?

I'd argue Apple is already behind on several fronts, specifically notifications and multitasking to name a couple, so they'd better get moving with moving forward. Getting on Verizon is likely to bring a huge spike in sales for them, but my guess is that there'll be a big corresponding drop in AT&T phone sales if not customers. Apple is also starting to lose the hardware game, IMO. In summary - I've played with ios4 and the iPhone4, no thanks. If Honeycomb makes my phone even better than it's just an even bigger win that I dumped the iPhone when I did.

I'd argue Apple is already behind on several fronts, specifically notifications and multitasking to name a couple, so they'd better get moving with moving forward. Getting on Verizon is likely to bring a huge spike in sales for them, but my guess is that there'll be a big corresponding drop in AT&T phone sales if not customers. Apple is also starting to lose the hardware game, IMO. In summary - I've played with ios4 and the iPhone4, no thanks. If Honeycomb makes my phone even better than it's just an even bigger win that I dumped the iPhone when I did.

I concur, though I concede that Apple is ahead of Android on a few fronts. I honestly believe that the iPhone 6 with iOS 6 will be worth having as an only device... but that's a year and a half out. As far as hardware, I think the iPhone is solid in what it wants to do, but it has GOT to go up to 3.7-4.0 inches with the iP5. Sure, it's an iPhone, and a lot of people will want it, but when they see it next to a DROID with a 4.3" screen in a Verizon store... well, some people will take note. Ask a woman (or Steve)... size matters.

I find this thread humorous.

Anyways, I might have to get a Pre soon enough (must fit in with everyone else...) and I'm not carrying two phones... So.

Do NOT get a Pre, or a Pre 2. First off, that's WebOS, which is a great OS on lackluster hardware. HP Palm (or whatever it's called) is working on some new hardware, probably both keyboarded and touchscreen only, so if you want it, wait. For Android, pick a carrier and wait for whatever you like coming out of CES and MWC (last week and next month, respectively) and go with that.

I thought Honeycomb was tablet-only... I didn't think it was ever destined for smart phones.

Right now it's only on tablets, but watch the video in the post I linked to above. You'll get that H-Comb is coming to phones as well (though I imagine, as

counter-intuitive to Apple fanbois as can be (and you ARE fanbois in this thread), it will be tablet first, then phone. I'm not quite sure how it is going to scale, but it is designed to.

Honeycomb = Android 3.0 right?? Where does Chrome OS fit in?? Chrome OS = for tablet right?? and now it is Honeycomb = Android 3.0 = Chrome OS = WTF??

HC is Android 3.0. Chrome OS is separate from Android (currently, though I see the possibility for convergence in the future). Chrome OS isn't designed for tablets, or touch in general (though there may be a touch component built in some where). Chrome OS is more, in it's current iteration, for netbook/notebook usage.

See above. That was early impressions, as was the thought that HC REQUIRED a dual core processor. It doesn't.

**BRENT**

I agree that size matters. 4" is too big for a phone.

:palm:

Have you used a 4" phone? I know you don't have a lot of coworkers with different things around, so doubt you have gotten your hands on one to play with for any reasonable amount of time. There are MANY people who believe 4" to be the sweet spot for phones. 4.3" is a bit large, but manageable by many (I know/have met quite a few petite ladies with an HD2, Droid X, or Evo 4G).

I USED to think the screen on the iPhone was too big. In 2007. Now I think it's too small for the form factor. Maybe it's time to re-evaluate your opinion.

**BRENT**

Do NOT get a Pre, or a Pre 2. First off, that's WebOS, which is a great OS on lackluster hardware. HP Palm (or whatever it's called) is working on some new hardware, probably both keyboarded and touchscreen only, so if you want it, wait. For Android, pick a carrier and wait for whatever you like coming out of CES and MWC (last week and next month, respectively) and go with that.

I work for HP.

HC is Android 3.0. Chrome OS is separate from Android (currently, though I see the possibility for convergence in the future). Chrome OS isn't designed for tablets, or touch in general (though there may be a touch component built in some where). Chrome OS is more, in it's current iteration, for netbook/notebook usage.

See above. That was early impressions, as was the thought that HC REQUIRED a dual core processor. It doesn't.

**BRENT**

Thanks for clarifying.

on the other hand I'm fine with 3.5" - 4.3", but I've heard from several female friends that the current iPhone is too big for their hands.

We should be getting something nice with 2.3 gingerbread on the phones however, so no worries. I bet when I get a new phone in 2012, the hardware and software will make my phone look like an oversized cell phone from the 80s. I like 4.3" screens myself, but agree the size is not for everyone. I can't imagine going to a display smaller then 4" now for a smartphone. Funny how AT&T is going to now have the high-end android phone and Verizon will have the high-end iPhone now. Verizon's ego seemed to inflate three sizes this week as it decided it no longer need NE2 and a thirty day return window (or maybe Apple had a say in that).

I've been waiting on something portable and nice to use OTG and as a HTPC at home, but Android OS is still held back by format support and fragmentation so much, I'll probably get a AMD fusion cpu based netbook instead of one of something like the XOOM still. Tablet is sweet, but have little use for both an Android smartphone AND tablet.

I've got the Droid Incredible, a moderately large phone, and I like its size. I even wish it was a tiny bit bigger...typing on it sux even though I find the keyboarding more accurate than my iTouch. My though has always been that I want a display as big as possible, but still comfortable fits in a front pants pocket.

Droid X

Although I suspect that you'll get better at the typing thing. Google's predictive text is much better than my iPhone ever was.

I'd have to say as an over GUI look, my order of preference is probably 1. PalmOS, 2. (tie) iOS, Windows Phone, 3. Android. PalmOS appears to be the most polished. I like the iOS interface, and I think they've balanced usability with simplicity pretty well. I like Windows Phone, and the live tiles and new interface quite a bit. And last I would have to put Android and its various manufacturer skins. I don't care for the look, primarily because it looks borderline cartoonish and not polished to me. I'd probably put HTC's Sense 1st, but I always liked their non-Android home screens.

As to the iOS notification issue, I do like how Palm and Android handle the more subtle notifications. But I also only have push notification on for things I really want to know, so I rare when I don't want to switch to a notification (usually new email or text) if I get it. So I honestly don't find iOS notifications that intrusive.

Screen size? Large is nice, but I don't even like the feel of my iPhone in my pocket with a case adding to its overall size. So anything bigger would certainly have to omit a keyboard and go very thin for me to consider it. And I've heard a few female friends complain of the size of some of the smaller Android phones, so I'd imagine screen sizes > 4" will not meet with widespread acceptance with women (or men with small hands... carnies perhaps?)