Google Android OS

manaox2

Doesn't Google maps have a beta that allows one to store data for later use while not in cell range?

Edit: I remember where I saw it now. Open Google maps, click menu, click ' labs', click 'pre-cache map area' and follow directions. Seems limited, but might fit the bill.

Edited by jvlgato

Thanks guys, I looked at the Google labs plugin. It seems like it only save areas that you specified though, so it's not as useful for long distance travel.

We are renting a car, so Tomtom, Garmin and other satnavs aren't really cost effective. besides, how am I suppose to check on HC without data plan? smile.png

The T-mobile option looks like the most cost effective option right now, providing there are no system activation fees. Do they sell their sim cards in store? We could probably pick one up locally when we reach Buffalo.

Edited by ujamerstand

Google labs in google maps, precache map areas gives you a 10 mile radius. I used this extensively on my verizon android phone while in Prague and Budapest, worked great, and you can do multiple areas at once.

This is great for just walking around a city. But unfortunately, you can't get turn-by-turn directions without an internet connection.

• 1 month later...

Google is having a 10 billion Android Market download celebration event. Plenty of apps at 10c a pop - including really awesome ones like Swiftkey X and Soundhound Infinite.

And apparently, each day for 10 days there will be 10 new apps!

[EDIT] Include the link, dickhead...... https://market.android.com/details?id=apps_timed_promotion&feature=banner

Edited by Beefy
  • Like 1

Google is having a 10 billion Android Market download celebration event. Plenty of apps at 10c a pop - including really awesome ones like Swiftkey X and Soundhound Infinite.

And apparently, each day for 10 days there will be 10 new apps!

[EDIT] Include the link, dickhead...... https://market.android.com/details?id=apps_timed_promotion&feature=banner

This is great. I bought four apps when I saw the sale earlier today.

I bought sound hound and mine craft. ;)

**BRENT**

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have only spent a fair amount of time with the Nexus, but I think just based on that and specs, I would go with the Nexus. Especially for the replaceable battery. You can get an extended battery to cover that base. If you like phone cameras, the Nexus app loads and snaps pictures almost instantly and has a decent sensor to make up for the less pixels. ICS is the real deal. Plus, unlocked bootloader gives it a long future.

Amazon was having $100 deal (w 2 year contract) on Verizon Nexus, so I ordered it and it arrived today.

While ordering on Amazon, I had already checked off "port phone number" going from AT&T to Verizon, but when it arrived, the usual activation instructions failed to activate my phone. After literally an hour on the phone with various Verizon "support," being transferred to multiple places, the phone finally worked, but then I found out Verizon had ported a different phone number (!) than the phone number I actually requested (I had 2 numbers with AT&T). I am going physically over to Verizon store to try sort out this mess. This is supposed to be easy..

On positive note, the screen is much larger than iPhone and more beautiful. But it also seems more frail and would hate to drop this one. Searching for decent case cover and screen protector as I speak..

• 1 month later...

Fiiiiiiiiinally got official ICS for the Nexus S. Fantastic improvements all round over GB. Being able to put scrollable email and calendar widgets right there on the home screen makes accessing important info very, very efficient.

Edited by Beefy

My wife left her Incredible on the train. sad.gif Any suggestion of an Android phone that can be had for not too much money that will work with Verizon. Does not need to be bleeding edge, just good enough to work in a pinch.

Well, the replacement (which was a Droid X, I think -- something older with a keyboard) is now taking a solo train ride. Any suggestions about what can be picked up now for cheap?

Well, the replacement (which was a Droid X, I think -- something older with a keyboard) is now taking a solo train ride. Any suggestions about what can be picked up now for cheap?

I've got a first gen Droid Incredible sitting at home that could probably be had for very cheap. It's spent it's entire life in a case with a screen protector so it looks like new (and still has the case with it).