Google Android OS

manaox2

The S3 sounds enticing, but it's too big and expensive for me (also not offered with my prepaid plan anyway). My current phone, which is basically a Evo 3D, is already known as a somewhat large phone. I debated over getting a case and finally decided against it because it would just be too bulky in my pocket. I don't like things in my pockets in general, but begrudgingly carry the essentials everyday (keys, phone, wallet) so less is better. Maybe a murse is in order. For now I'm going to go with a simple screen protector and an Anker 1900mAh battery and just hope I don't accidentally drop or smash the phone.

Don't tempt me with the tablet stuff, I don't even know what I would use one for but kind of want one anyway already. :(

http://gizmodo.com/5945525/apple-wants-707-million-more-of-samsungs-money-over-patent-issues

Tried some new stuff out with my S3 and installed imoseyon's leankernal for vzw touchwiz. So far, its great. Have the clock speed set at 1728mhz high 384mhz low at 1200 volts which seems to keep it snappy and doesn't really hurt battery life. Leankernal seems to be more stable than the stock even so far. Flashed the new modem from the latest update. Flashed an NFC mod to allow NFC to work as long as the screen is on from the lockscreen.

I also tried out Cyanogenmod 10 (Jellybean 4.1.1) 4/27 nightly today (you have to have the unlocked bootloader flashed first if your on VZW). Its super smooth and slick, I really do like it. If it supported NFC properly, I'd probably use it as my daily driver. Google Now is awesome.

PS. After you are rooted and before flashing anything, its best that you backup the IMEI using android terminal. Samsung put a dummy IMEI in the backup bit place that may be accidentally restored any time you flash something causing you to lose your IMEI settings (your carrier network will no longer properly recognize your device and you will be reported as roaming on the network). Its easily preventable. In the terminal, type

su

reboot nvbackup

The terminal will ask for superuser access when you type su which you need to allow. When your phone reboots, it will have backed up your IMEI properly which hopefully prevents any IMEI troubles.

Cyanogen based ROMs really are the way to go unless you have an S3, in which case only Touchwiz based ROMs will have USB audio support built in. Being able to use USB DACs with my phone is worth putting up with almost any bad Android skin.

For non S3 owners, or those who don't use their S3 with USB DACs, I recommend checking out Paranoid. From an interface perspective, it can't be beat. Once you experience tablet Gmail, it's hard to go back. You can also merge the Notification bar with the software buttons of the Navigation bar. It's brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...

Scott, I was just reading your post again about the S iii and I realized that I cannot even get close touching my thumb to fingers when holding the Google Nexus so I'm guessing the S iii would be way to I big.

On another note, hubbys flip phone is dying quickly. I'm trying to convince him to get a smartphone so gee doesn't borrow mine all the time. Any suggestions for small non smartphones that don't suck.

Also if I convince him to get a smartphone, he's not going to want to pay very much. I can maybe convince him to get a 2 year contract and pay 99 for a Galaxy Nexus. Do you think this is a bad idea? Unfortunately his phone may die before the new Nexus comes out. We are on Sprint. Is there a better choice?

Edited by shellylh

Scott, I was just reading your post again about the S iii and I realized that I cannot even get close touching my thumb to fingers when holding the Google Nexus so I'm guessing the S iii would be way to I big.

On another note, hubbys flip phone is dying quickly. I'm trying to convince him to get a smartphone so gee doesn't borrow mine all the time. Any suggestions for small non smartphones that don't suck.

Also if I convince him to get a smartphone, he's not going to want to pay very much. I can maybe convince him to get a 2 year contract and pay 99 for a Galaxy Nexus. Do you think this is a bad idea? Unfortunately his phone may die before the new Nexus comes out. We are on Sprint. Is there a better choice?

Do you think you can convince him to pay $150 for a Galaxy S3 from Amazon? angel.gif

The G-Nex is a great phone, but I'm not sure that I would want to buy one right now, considering that you'll be locked in to no upgrade until something like June 2014 (for a phone that's nearly a year old).

The best looking device out there right now is the Galaxy Note 2, but it's not out yet for Sprint, and if it is one's first smartphone, it might be a bit much.

Shelly... this is simple.

Step One: Buy GS III

Step Two: Switch it over to the GS III in the middle of the night

Step Three: Put it where he normally keeps his POS phone.

Step Four: Place note saying "Welcome to 2006."

Step Five: When he bitches, text him. That's the only way people communicate these days anyways, and his protests will not be valid unless brought up via text.

Step Six: Drink. It'll probably be in the morning time, so maybe a Mimosa?

**BRENT**

• Like 1

How do people put up with phones for two years !?!?!? A year and a half in and I want to break things. My mom called and I couldn't even swipe to answer took 6 minutes to be abe to call her back. A dual core Tegra 2 phone with half a gig of ram shouldn't have a problem with most things. I wonder how a Galaxy Note 2 would hold up...

**BRENT**

How do people put up with phones for two years !?!?!? A year and a half in and I want to break things. My mom called and I couldn't even swipe to answer took 6 minutes to be abe to call her back. A dual core Tegra 2 phone with half a gig of ram shouldn't have a problem with most things. I wonder how a Galaxy Note 2 would hold up...

**BRENT**

I still have an original Droid. Ever think of wiping your fingers before you touch your touchscreen, Mr. Greasy?

Yes, this is I-feel-like-ragging-on-Brent day.