Google Android OS

manaox2

Oh, if I didn't mention it, I switched from 5GB with tethering (25$/mo) to Unlimited with (legit) tethering (25$/mo). That data plan isn't supposed to exist.
I hate you. I barely use an average of 0.15 GB/month, even though I have unlimited, but that doesn't exist on VZW any more, so if I get a new phone legitimately (haven't ruled out the illegitimate problem), I definitely have to give up my unlimited data, and if I get a new phone, I will almost definitely get one that can do Spotify, so I'll probably go well higher, and that's without additional devices like an iPad or a Nexus 10 and/or tethering.

You're lucky. Google doesn't like LTE or Verizon. (Well, CDMA).

The Note II comes out soon on VZW. Go for it. I think you'd get by just fine with maybe 2-4 gigs of data. You can snag a 32GB microSD card and throw some music on it to supplement Spotify. Would you have to give up unlimited data if you bought a phone outright?

**BRENT**

What kind of data plan could one get for the Nexus 7 with HSPA+? I would like something to use when in Europe except that I only travel there once a year or so. Could you get service only when you needed it and would it be a PITA. I think the 3G ipad had/has something like that. Pardon my ignorance but I have been a Sprint customer since ~2000 so I don't know about these GSM chipses and stuffs.

I guess there will be no Nexus 4 for Sprint. Later?

Edited by shellylh

Shelly -- no idea, sorry.

Brent -- yup, even then, but the corresponding equivalent plan really isn't that bad -- it's the same amount of money ($30) for 2GB/month + $10/1GB over, or $50 for 5GB/month. So if I do 4GB one month, I break even; if I do 3GB one month, I saved $10; if I do 2GB one month, I saved $20; if I do 5GB one month, I wasted $10 that month, so even if I do go over 4GB by 1 or 2 GB every 6 months or so, I still break even or make out ahead, compared to their other current plans. Obvious: does not compare to my current unlimited plan, but at less than 1GB/month, I'm hoping that they're correct regarding usage -- that I shouldn't increase that much, just by using Spotify. I still need to try to figure out how to preload Spotify via wireless for offline mode, even that would save me a bundle.

Shelly - Nexus 4 for Sprint unlikely - This article explains why

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3569688/why-nexus-4-does-not-have-4g-lte

Roaming Data In Europe varies (it's a competitive, somewhat regulated market that varies by location, Europe is not one country :) ).

Speaking from personal experience, in the UK you could get PAYG (Pay as you go - thats prepaid to you US folks) , One month unlimited HSPA+ with "Three" for 15GBP= 25USD( at current FX rates)

Other carriers charge more .. But in general, local data is cheaper than US roaming data - e.g. Some US friends of ours were complaining that AT&T had billed them for $60 for the previous days data in France - good job it was a business expense.

Unfortunately you need to do research, and think and stuff, if you want to avoid throwing money at your carrier in order to avoid having to think :)

If you are visiting somewhere, ask the locals what they use, in advance. If they are thrifty, you're likely to get good advice.

Oh, if you're thinking about a Galaxy Note 2, check out this review. I posted it on FB so some of you saw it, but:

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-57540240-85/screens-test-part-2-galaxy-note-2-vs-apple-iphone-5/

Screen test of GN2 vs iP5. Stock, iP5 blows it out of the water, for accuracy. They found that with a certain setting, it comes damn close to iP5, and beats it in some respects.

It looks like T-Mobile will have the Nexus 7 data plans, and it mentions it along with the phones having an unlimited option. Looking around, looks like you can get "just a SIM card" and then 55$ gets you true unlimited, contract free.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Packages/ValuePackages.aspx

Technically that's a phone plan, but I THINK it may work in a tablet? 45$ for 2GB before throttle, so I'd just do the unlimited and set it up to watch Netflix all day. You should be able to just grab a SIM somewhere over then pond and pop that in, from my understanding. It's looking like it's unlocked straight from Google.

**BRENT**

Shelly - Nexus 4 for Sprint unlikely - This article explains why

http://www.theverge....not-have-4g-lte

Roaming Data In Europe varies (it's a competitive, somewhat regulated market that varies by location, Europe is not one country smile.png ).

Speaking from personal experience, in the UK you could get PAYG (Pay as you go - thats prepaid to you US folks) , One month unlimited HSPA+ with "Three" for 15GBP= 25USD( at current FX rates)

Other carriers charge more .. But in general, local data is cheaper than US roaming data - e.g. Some US friends of ours were complaining that AT&T had billed them for $60 for the previous days data in France - good job it was a business expense.

Unfortunately you need to do research, and think and stuff, if you want to avoid throwing money at your carrier in order to avoid having to think smile.png

If you are visiting somewhere, ask the locals what they use, in advance. If they are thrifty, you're likely to get good advice.

Damn. Thanks for the info Grahame.

Dusty, you should be able to save albums in "Offline Mode" over wifi at home/work/coffee shop/Colin's apartment. I think it will also integrate with music on-device from other sources, no?
Last I heard, they disabled that...(wanders off, double checks)...oh! They fixed it! I mean, they added that feature. Yes, that's exactly what I would do most of the time, to save 4g bandwidth. Huzzah -- thanks for making me look that up.

Admittedly, "last I heard" == "when they first introduced the mobile app".

• Like 1

The N10 is very tempting, 1600p in that form factor is incredible. I'm sort of in the market for a new tablet/netbook type thing for casual web surfing, emailing, etc and the N10 definitely looks like it deserves serious consideration. I am finding some of the Win8 stuff pretty compelling as well though and I want to see what price point the ivy bridge based win8 stuff comes in at

Gf doesn't have a smart phone and likes her $40/month plan for unlimited calling, text and rudimentary data. For jnstance she can view emails but can't click on hyperlinks in emails or open attachments. It's not really usable.

She doesn't want to spend $80/month for a plan from AT&T or Verizon. What would be the least expensive option with the nexus 4 if pursued?

Edited by crappyjones123

Most the time I'm at a place with wifi. So the data plan isn't being used much, except in the instance where I'm travelling. So she might not need that data. Try looking for carriers that offers data day passes, so if she DOES need it, she can just buy it for the day.

I guess it really depends on her browsing habits, and if she has wifi access most of the time.

Edited by ujamerstand

I'm really getting sick of Google's lack of microSD slots on Nexus devices. I tolerated it on the G-Nex, but it has 32GB internal, why on earth does its' successor have LESS memory, and still no card slot? It's really quite a killjoy on the Nexus 10 as well. I guess they just don't get the notion that some of us would prefer to play our own content, when/where we like, irrespective of the internet connection present (or lack thereof).

• Like 1

Crap, check out the t-mo Value Plans. Look at the 2GB and the Unlimited (on phone) 4G Nationwide data plans. 50$ for 500 min/unl text/2GB data, 60$ for unl talk and text/2GB data. 10$/mo more for unlimited data.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Packages/ValuePackages.aspx

For frequent travelers/people who like to repeat things, it's a PITA to not have extra storage. My 16GB Note 2 only had about 11-12 gigs available out of the box. I couldn't imagine doing an 8GB phone these days.

The Optimus G may have similar internals, but I'm seeing the build quality isn't close. I would be VERY tempted in the 16GB version, but my last phone was an LG, with stock Android, and it has just been a PITA. It was the first Tegra 2 phone, and there were some growing pains, sure, but it was just super painful. I don't know if I'm willing to give LG a shot again so soon. (I'm coming back to Samsung after saying "NEVER AGAIN!" about 3 years ago, largely because of Al.)

As far as the cloud goes I <3 the cloud, but there are places I don't get signal, places I only get EDGE or GASP! GPRS! Sadly, I've found too many of those places when traveling a little outside my home network. I have 58GB of Dropbox and I think 13,000 songs uploaded to Google Music, along with a bit on Amazon as well. I really do like "The Cloud", but 8GB on a phone this high end? Even at this price -- which really is fantastic -- just isn't going to cut it for most of "us."

Crap, the 8GB and a small plan will probably be fine for her. Oh, whatever you do, do NOT buy the Nex4 through TMO. Bastards are charging 199$ + 15$/mo for 20 months. It's looking like it's the 16GB version, but still. Well, now that I think about it, they're financing 200$ for a 50$ fee for a little under 2 years. It's not horrible, but you'd be in a contract. Extra 100$ up front = no contract + 8GB, extra 150$ for the 16GB. For that little cash, I wouldn't want the contract and financing of it. For 300-400$, though... it takes the sting out.

**BRENT**

She doesn't travel much. I wouldn't want to get her a nice® phone and then restrict usage to wifi only. Then an iPod touch with google voice and talkatone would work the same.

Brent I don't think she cares about signing a contract. Financially if it is a better decision over 20 months I'd rather do that. She has had the same phone for the past 5 years so she isn't one to buy and sell every few months to get the latest tech. I don't follow your financing statements. Is it $15 a month for the same service that would be $50 otherwise? Or just $200 and an additional $15 every month?