Google Android OS

manaox2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Galaxy S III at a discount now or Galaxy S IV in a couple months?

Has there been any new intelligence since we last talked about this?

Sprint is now offering the S III for a hundred bucks. (For new lines, according to the ads, but I would be surprised if not for upgrades as well.)

S IV is announced on the 14th.  I would buy that.  If you want to keep it for as long as possible, then buy the newest thing on the market.  If it was 5x as much? Sure, S3, but just 100$ more?  Just think of it as 100$ towards being less frustrated in a year.

Oh, supposed to have a ridiculous camera, IIRC.  The S3/Note II are good, but this will be a bit better.

**BRENT**

S4 is literally benchmarked to be 3 times faster than the S3. I have to seer it and know the boot loader can be unlocked first, but I'm tempted to upgrade. I received a 32gb Nexus 10 to play with from work currently that has me spoiled.

Edited by manaox2

So, speaking of the S3, Google or Verizon updated it sometime in the last 3 months and basically rendered the GPS utterly useless.  I've searched on the topic and I'm not alone, in fact it seems like most if not everyone is affected to some degree.  My phone basically no longer will lock onto a GPS signal with enough reliability to navigate.  It's so inaccurate that it constantly reroutes while I'm driving down a straight road as it bounces around the +/- 100' sphere of where it thinks I am approximately.  The best I've been able to do is turn off everything but true GPS (turn off both Verizon and Google location services) which works OK, but is obviously not the way that it is intended to be used.  Anyone have any bright thoughts on this?  Other than to buy a different phone...  I'm insanely frustrated since the reason that I got rid of my last phone was horrid GPS.  The S3 was outstanding in this regard, at least in the beginning.

If it was working fine up until then, then it's probably a bug someone introduced.  Complain, wait until they get it fixed.  Since you got it from Verizon, I would complain to Verizon.  Since you got the update from Google, I would complain to Google.

Also, couldn't hurt to run some diagnostics.  Maybe the GPS unit in S3's are prone to failure?  Did you see that page where a girl and her boyfriend got the exact same phone at the exact same time, and his still works, and hers doesn't?