Google Android OS

manaox2

Switched from iPhone 4s to Galaxy S3 couple of weeks ago to get my feet wet with Android and ROMs.  GS3 is rooted, unlocked and I've been playing with custom roms.  Satisfies the geek in me, but overall experience about the same as iPhone.

Nate, it was originally ATT, but unlocked and running T-Mo for their better rates.  Now that I am back in the north country, I see what you mean by coverage. Last year on ATT had no problems, but now on T-Mo coverage is a bit sketchy.  

Gene, try flashing a T-Mobile ROM on it. Check with one of the others first, but that phone on TMO should work with calls over WiFi. As long as you have WiFi, calls would be routed through that, bypassing the towers.

Here is the toggle I am talking about. Look into it.

post-16-13758033686019_thumb.jpg

With a huge nigh-upon-impenetrable-by-cell-signal structure I work in, I wish we had WiFi here. It works great at home, and is less of abdrain on battery as well.

**BRENT**

• Like 1

Gene,

When my contract is up with V I'll probably try switching to an alternate via an off-contract phone purchase to see how it goes.  When I briefly had an AT&T iPhone the coverage was wretched but several folks in my office seem to have good luck with AT&T on their 4G network.  T-Mo is pretty useless up here from what I understand and Sprint is almost as bad.  I've got a year left so there's plenty of time to strategize.

Nate ... T-Mo fine along I95 and in Portland, but stray too far and it's one bar territory.

Brent ... I wondered about that.  Didn't see any accounts of flashing T-Mo rom to former ATT phone so haven't tried.  Yes, I knew that T-Mo had the wifi call option, so was very interested.  I guess since I have a good backup, I should just go ahead and try it.  If the phone bricks, I'm coming for you.   :laugh:

• Like 1

I have the exact same setup (see previous page). There are ROMs like these that are specifically for i747 running TMo carrier.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2278389

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317259

TMo is expanding its LTE coverage pretty quickly and still working on its 1900mhz refarm, of which they said they will not extend their current tower range. With strong LTE signal I can get 24mbps download.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a Galaxy S4 Active today from Best Buy. Does the group here recommend for or against the extended warranty offered by Best Buy?  Typically I don't touch extended warranties but I'm a bit sensitive after having issues with iPhones.  Also, could you please recommend a protective case for it.  Thanks in advance for your advice.

Belatedly, here are the skids on the back of the cover to address the too-wide-too-thin-too-slippery issue with the S4.

post-1031-0-02525700-1377578386_thumb.jp

And here's the Mark II version (there's always a Mark II version :-)

post-1031-0-43826100-1377578941.jpg

The thwart-wise skid is to help find by feel which end of the phone is which without putting my finger on the camera lens. That seemed a tad less than the ideal way to do it. I find myself putting a finger against it when I hold the phone vertically, too.

This version is on the official Samsung cover. It's pretty nice once the slippery gloss on the edges is sanded off. Stupidly overpriced. Unless you have the half-off coupon from Samsung, go with the $7 dollar one from Amazon.

The skid thing has made a huge difference in how the phone handles. I can now confidently hold it in one hand and swype with my thumb to my heart's content.

People still buy iPhone 4s and 4seses... it's still a solid device, especially for that $$$. I have a Note II, which came out a few days before this one... I never feel like I run out of power at this point, and I've never had a phone I've not wanted to upgrade after the 10 months I've had this one.

**BRENT**

I've already mentioned this, but the Note II is the first portable device I've owned that doesn't start to get sluggish after 9 months or so. Sluggish might be too strong a word, but all my apple devices and my nexus 7 (old version) all got less snappy after I'd owned them for a while. The note II is still as zippy and fresh as the day I got it.

I can't really think of anything in the note 3 that would make me buy it. I certainly don't want a bigger screen. I guess a better looking / easier to hold case would be nice? Like a Note II Active. But then anything adding bulk to this phone is a big no no, I quit using a case on it after a month of ownership.

Edited by postjack

• 3 weeks later...

There are pictures of the new LG nexus leaked online from all sides that are definitely real so probably.

Paranoid android is THE rom for the S3 currently. Does the Wi-Fi calling stuff Brent was talking about I believe, though I usually use grooveip with Google voice account for that. I use tablet view and halo 2 with multiple methods of tethering built in is great and android 4.3 is nice.

I love the S4, been playing with the handful a couple of friends have. Hoping it one day gets an unlocked boot loader.

Another S4 update: for a few months now, I've been using Cyberon for voice control. It's antique but it does actually work. It's about like the hands free app from Windows mobile 6, but it loads faster.

Google's voice control worked great on the voice side, but it only recognized a few of my contacts.

That was pretty galling actually. Turns out it's been a known issue for at least a couple years. The voice command app doesn't recognize any contracts that come from Exchange and only recognizes those from Gmail when if feels like it. Who leaves a showstopper bug like that unaddressed for years?

Or maybe I'm just the only person in the whole world who uses his mobile phone to make actual phone calls while traveling in his car ......