Google Android OS

manaox2

Been using Note 3 for two weeks. Nice screen and battery life, other than those I feel I should have bought 5s instead.

Does anyone know how to set default action for Chrome? After downloading a excel file from work or school, I want the file open automatically in Quick office. For now, I have to navigate to the file system and open the file inside download folder manually and that is cumbersome.

Firefox does that automatically but there are many website won't render correctly.

Another question, how can I download album artwork?

Thanks

You use that if you go through Verizon or ATT, in my case.  I'm trying to avoid that so I do not lose my unlimited plan.

So you wanted S4->wireless->iPad Mini?  Yeah, pretty sure you're going to need to root it for that.  Unless you can find an app to make it transmit wireless.  The only way I can think that you could get this to work would be to tether a computer from it (either USB or Bluetooth, doesn't matter), then have the computer somehow transmit ("transmit" == act as wireless server, since it's really both transmit and receive, but it still has to be the master and server-provide stuff like DHCP) via wireless.

I ended up giving up my limitless plan -- I had them do a history, and I never even came close to their smallest limit.  You may want to have them do the same thing.  I could only go back a couple months online, but they can get a report and email it to you if AT&T are the same way.

On this phone

post-545-13825106988067_thumb.jpg

Under Settings

post-545-13825107625474_thumb.jpg

Wireless and networks More ...

post-545-13825109080782_thumb.jpg

Tethering and portable hotspot

post-545-13825110403008_thumb.jpg

Its a built in option.

I tried exactly what you wanted, briefly, with tapatalk on the iPM and it worked.

Some carriers will want to charge you more / prevent your phone from re-using the same bits they quite happily sent you :palm:

Re data usage - built in tracker

post-545-13825114684385_thumb.jpg

I would like to tether a wifi ipad to my S4.  I am told that other than going to ATT which would require me to give up my unlimited plan,  I would have to root my S4. Is this difficult to do.  I've JB my iphones a few times without too much trouble but no nothing of Android.

I've yet to find an Android device that I couldn't root, some more difficult than others, of course.  I wouldn't guess that the S4 is too bad, given how much ROM development there's been for it.  I'd start here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2314494

I looked at it a bit for you, Mike.  Seems like you need to download and run the file from the first post in the following thread under "download" heading: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2297900

Enable USB debugging on your phone (under developer options), connect your phone to the computer, install any relevant drivers (if necessary), and run the file you just downloaded.  I think it should be fairly self-explanatory from the look of the software screenshot.

If you're feeling a little brave, of course ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to get a cheap Android tablet to watch Netflix while on the spinning bike or elliptical machine at the gym.  Nexus 7 (2013) seems to have touchscreen problems so I went even cheaper and started looking at the ASUS MeMOPad HD 7-Inch 16 GB Tablet.  Is there anything better around this price point $129 (let stick with brands I've actually heard of).