Google Android OS

manaox2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Enabled LTE (Band 4) on my Nexus 4 (Android 4.4.4) After local Apple Fanboi proudly demonstrated "superiority" of iPhone 5 / LTE ...

Process has now been appified to a few clicks thanks to  

* https://towelroot.com/ ( 1 click no reboot ) 

* https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bpear.makomodem 

Click, reboot, Click, Click + change some settings, and I was getting better speedtest results than him on the same network :)

• Like 1

Mainly, it seemed the most likely candidate to receive an unlocked boot loader and have developer support on Verizon. The crazy screen, slim bezels, micro-SD card slot, removable battery, laser auto-focus, button layout and $99 on Verizon deal didn't hurt. Gotta say I love the double tap screen on/off feature. Aside from that, I don't like the looks of the S5 or its health/finger reader gimmicks (not going for the company that developed KNOX either). The m8 is heavy, slippery, and more fragile due to its metal construction, not to mention having to deal with S-off BS, etc.

The Note 4 would probably be tempting when it comes out if the boot loader does not actually get unlocked, though the G3 is still very useable one handed. LG makes very nice cases to add protection, wireless charging, and not increase thickness hardly at all.

Here is a gallery of the setup. I had to reduce the screenshots to a quarter of their size to avoid the 2560 x 1440 resolution.

iJi8l0N511bge.jpgibcR2xhsFmqLIs.jpgibdVCprud5TuRC.jpgibcWsncg9s461O.jpgiI9fxhsC9PZxN.jpgiQOjG63tQ4TDU.jpg

Edited by manaox2
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info and screenshots. Experiencing vanilla android on the Nexus 4, I didn't feel the need to root and install ROMs for the first time (despite some niggles here and there), and am kind of hoping I won't have to do so anymore even on carrier phones. Probably very wishful thinking on my part. I'm going to wait until Google comes out with the next Nexus before making a final decision on my next phone.

Nexus 4 will be going strong for a long time yet I'd expect.

Found a solution that lets me stream uncompressed bluray video from smb shares locally using diceplayer for android that I'm excited about.

Walked 6 miles yesterday listening to spotify on HQ using the Senn PX100-II. The audio quality on this phone is VERY good it seems. It outclasses the S3 on both Bluetooth (not sure how, but most likely using a newer higher quality profile) and headphone jack by a noticeable amount.

Also tested out the signal at my workplace. Getting a solid 2-3 more bars signal on average than the S3 as well.

The popcorn time app is attracting a lot of attention for its built in VPN service for illegally streaming new movies on phone and thru chromecast. I honestly haven't installed it, don't suspect it will be running long.

Edited by manaox2

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the Moto 360 finally hit the streets today and the reviews are... decidedly mixed.  Mostly it seems like there's a lot to like a few (big?) things not to like.  First and foremost, it's a 1day battery.  That sucks in my book.  I don't really want something else that I have to remember to charge every damn day or it's useless.  Second, the interface is not optimized for the round face.  Depending on who you ask this is either an annoyance or not really a big deal.  I can't help but feel a little disappointed that it took this long to get something this mediocre.  But I also suspect that this market segment will go something like the original smart phone development where the gen 1 products will mostly suck, gen 2 will be better but still not great and from there the exponential refinements will pretty quickly correct most if not all faults.  So I guess I'll hold onto my small stack of cash for another year and see where that leaves me.  Or maybe Apple will blow my socks off in a few weeks.

Or maybe Apple will blow my socks off in a few weeks.

Or days. ;)

I agree about likely 1st gen issues and usefulness. Everyone wants them to succeed, but confused at what they're supposed to do. And we know there are only a couple companies gonna lead there.

8f5dcff281463633865d71bac257ae8a.jpg

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/04/fashion/intel-and-opening-ceremony-collaborate-on-mica-a-stylish-tech-bracelet.html

Edited by blessingx

I've been tempted to pick up one of the Samsung watches but I am just not sure I have any real use for them.  Interested to see what Apple comes out with, not that I would ever buy one or an iPhone for that matter but that is just me. I am looking forward to checking out the Note 4 and Note Edge.  My Note 3 is the best phone I have owned to date with the S4 a close second.

Anyone ever have an issue like I am having?  I have the S5 and I have noted that every time I get on a call and then have to use the keypad the screen will come back on for a second when I pull it away from my ear and then just cycle back and forth off and on for several seconds before I can use the screen again.  It is like it gets confused and makes the phone pretty useless when I am trying to do conference calls.

I am also always getting audio cut outs when I play music with the phone while running, etc.  Kind of like my crappy laptop at work that cuts out whenever it has to do two things at one time.  It is for music on an SD card so it might be read speeds.

Edited by VPI

Yep, that's exactly what I always think.  Even if smartwatches do become something more than just phone accessories, it's still going to be a very small screen and that severely limits what useful information you can show on it.

But what if I want it to mostly be a watch that can do a few other things? Or maybe there's a whole section of my work where I can't carry a phone so a watch is actually useful and I wear one most days.

I just don't get smartwatches.  I don't see the point of them at all.

You know, actually, this time, I do.  Don't think of it as the same thing as the phone, think of it as a satellite screen to your phone, or just a smart satellite screen.  There's certain apps I often want frequent access to, and it'd be cool to have it entirely programmable -- for instance, the ticker on the Dow Jones, S&P 500, a specific stock that's going IPO today?  That kind of thing.

Hmm, interesting about the evolution of the "smart" watch. The "wrist" watch was not always with us.

http://stricklandvintagewatches.com/the-wwi-trench-watch-its-origins-and-characteristics/

(pocket / fob watches were impractical in combat - synchronized timekeeping had tactical advantages)

People used to wear watches - to tell the time - with a glance.

Then they realized - hey - my phone has a clock - why do I need a watch.

Now my phone has multiple functions  .. or its grown into a phablet ... which is why some people use a bluetooth headset for the comms function.

Think of the smart watch as your notificatiion / status bar - on your wrist.

Inform me of updates that you can ACK / NACK with a glance / swipe , without having to get / power on / unlock / navigate to on your phone ...

but yes, there are tasks for which the larger form factor of the phone would be better than a watch ....

But what if I want it to mostly be a watch that can do a few other things? Or maybe there's a whole section of my work where I can't carry a phone so a watch is actually useful and I wear one most days.

Would you be able to wear a smart watch those places?  I know I can't.