Reviving an old FOTM...the CD-E5

Thaddy

I had a modified one (zap filter plus a few other mods) for quite a while. It supplanted a Meridian G-08 but was itself supplanted by a Cambridge 840c. I guess I disagree with Steve. Nevertheless it is a solid player except for the transport issues, which I never experienced.

To be fair I never took to the Cambridge 840 C. It has an odd midrange, not sure how to describe it, but it sounded unnatural to me. Of coarse I've only heard one specimen, so that possibly could come into play.

To be fair I never took to the Cambridge 840 C. It has an odd midrange, not sure how to describe it, but it sounded unnatural to me. Of coarse I've only heard one specimen, so that possibly could come into play.

You're not alone.....I felt the same way when I demo'd the 840c against a better-in-many-aspects Primare player. The upper mids were the part that bothered me the most.

Back on topic...... :D I prefer the "Backstroke of the West" to all edited or undedited versions.....