Oppo BDP-93 Networking Universal Blu-ray Player Announced

Eric5676

There is more fixes then the 3d functionality. Hinted about less noise from the transport and other tweaks. when they talk transport in this case they talk about the blurayplayer itself and the noise it does I guess??? Would expect it to be faster then the 83 series from what I heard as well.

I ordered a 83se the same day I realized the 93 was around the corner. But this is life in this market. New models every year :P.

93 as mentioned above doesn

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

digital inputs please.

A lot to ask at a $500 price point given everything else this player has, at least on paper. Wouldn't half surprise me to see it happen on the eventual 93 SE that would come out late next year.

If my research is correct, I'm pretty sure Oppo uses the same Chinese OEM that Cambridge Audio uses. That being the case, I'm sure I don't need to connect the dots there for you, especially when I mention my former Cambridge 840c do I? ;)

If the 93 SE ends up being basically a streamlined rebadged Cambridge 840C at $899...whew, that's going to be a hell of a head turning value right there. I don't think that's out of the question at all, especially considering the 840c itself is several years old now, hard to believe.

I'm a little surprised Oppo discontinued the 80, at least this soon. That thing's a piece of cake steal for an entry level player. They may have made a mistake there but they know their sales figures and business model better than I do. :)

Best guess: 83 drops by at least $100 MSRP when the 93 hits the streets. More or less the same thing happens late in 2011 when the 93 SE streets to the 83 SE. We'll see.

I'd like the Netflix streaming (I already own a Samsung Blu-Ray player that does Netflix streaming). Since I'm blind in one eye I could care less about 3D. To me the most important feature of my 83SE is the high quality dedicated 2 channel Stereo outputs (I had my 83SE Modded by Exemplar Audio to make it even better for 2 channel playback) and it appears that the 93 does NOT have dedicated Stereo outputs. The 93 only has the 7.1 analog outputs. To me this indicates that the 93 is geared more for the Video oriented enthusiast, as opposed to the Audio oriented enthusiast like some (Most?) of us.

I do play Blu-Ray disc's, but for me what matters is how well it plays my SACD's, DVD-A's (Primarily in Stereo) and the occasional CD. From the announced features and specs I doubt that the 93 outperforms the 83 or especially the 83SE as far as the Audio quality is concerned.

I'd like the Netflix streaming (I already own a Samsung Blu-Ray player that does Netflix streaming). Since I'm blind in one eye I could care less about 3D. To me the most important feature of my 83SE is the high quality dedicated 2 channel Stereo outputs (I had my 83SE Modded by Exemplar Audio to make it even better for 2 channel playback) and it appears that the 93 does NOT have dedicated Stereo outputs. The 93 only has the 7.1 analog outputs. To me this indicates that the 93 is geared more for the Video oriented enthusiast, as opposed to the Audio oriented enthusiast like some (Most?) of us.

Ah, good catch. I hadn't paid close attention to the stereo output detail.

I do play Blu-Ray disc's, but for me what matters is how well it plays my SACD's, DVD-A's (Primarily in Stereo) and the occasional CD. From the announced features and specs I doubt that the 93 outperforms the 83 or especially the 83SE as far as the Audio quality is concerned.

I guarantee you the 93 isn't going to touch your modded 83SE.

The new 3-D enabled PS3 firmware doesn't support both 3-D and lossless audio transport at the same time, according to Blu-ray.com, both PCM and bitstream. In case that makes a difference to any of you.

Maybe this will be changed in a future firmware upgrade.

Will My PS3 Blu-ray Player and HDMI 1.3 Cables Do Full HD 1080p 3DTV?: BigPictureBigSound

This more or less covers it. It's amazing how far the now 4 year old PS3 has evolved simply thanks to firmwares (and more efficient hardware in the Slims and such) but even at that, I have to figure they're going to hit the brick wall on hardware limitations at some point. Can't rule anything out obviously.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Can-My-120-Hz-HDTV-Be-Upgraded-to-a-3D-TV.shtml

This article goes hand in glove with the first link. Worthwhile reads. :)

I haven't had noise/heat issue with my newer PS3 (not slim) either, though I understand some are having problems with both the original models as well as Slims.

For me, $399 for a well-regarded BD player with regular firmware updates that also functions as a game console and media server/streamer was a no-brainer over other BDPs I was considering at the time.

OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player

I didn't expect this. In regards to the 83

Due to a shortage of major components, we have ceased production of this model.
So the 80's gone and apparently the 83 is going to be gone and maybe even the 83 SE at this rate.

I can't believe they're only going to sell the 93 and have no action at any other price points.

I can't believe they're only going to sell the 93 and have no action at any other price points.

I'm not. They used the $499 price point and sold well until they released a short-lived BDP-80 priced at $289. I'm guessing only thing BDP-80 did was eat into BDP-83 sales without being a big seller that they were hoping, since $289 is too high to be an impulse buy, IMO.

Cambridge's Azur 650BD looks interesting, I wonder how it compares to the 83 and 83SE

More or less comparable to the 83 since I'm all but certain Cambridge Audio uses the same Chinese OEM that Oppo does: BBK.

Not a bad player for the money. Might want to sniff out some reviews and feedback just to make sure.

I'm not. They used the $499 price point and sold well until they released a short-lived BDP-80 priced at $289. I'm guessing only thing BDP-80 did was eat into BDP-83 sales without being a big seller that they were hoping, since $289 is too high to be an impulse buy, IMO.

Could be. I would have figured you drop that 80 to around $199 thereabouts and have the entry level locked down, float the 83 around $299 ish, drop the SE $100, and go with the 93 as is but obviously I guess they know their business better than I do. :)