Oppo BDP-93 Networking Universal Blu-ray Player Announced

Eric5676

FWIW, I've read on few AV and Home Theatre forums that Oppo is supposedly building a separate player focusing on analogue audio output (95?) and that there won't be 93SE.

Could be.

Amazing the price gouging already starting to happen on these and the 80s.

I could put my 18 month old 83 up on Amazon or Flea Bay right now, advertise it truthfully as like new or close to it, in the box, all the cables, goodies, etc. and I bet I could get at least original MSRP back in my pocket the way it's already shaping up.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do they go for now? For example mine I got for 819 GBP which was the cheapest price you could get an 83se outside of the US. Was initially at least 150$ less I have been told. That incorporated the region free hack and some bonus bluray discs though. I will keep an eye out for the 95 specs and hopefully I will have the choice of selling the 83se at no loss or keep it :)

I would like an oppo that support lossless formats like FLAC or at least WAV like the coming Denon DBP-D2011UD player. Looks really promising and very competively priced. Doesn

• 1 month later...

This might turn some heads around here:

Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum

I've tested 24-bit/192KHz FLAC and WAV files on the player with success. Multi-Channel FLAC as well.
^^ I know this poster well. You can take his word to the bank. I practically wonder if he works for Oppo but he's certainly been a long time beta tester, loyalist and I guess quasi insider. Bottom line: Very credible.

This could end up being an attractive all in one for a number of folks at this rate.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/

I recommend registering here if you're interested in buying this player.

Will read the thread, but...wait, what? So you can't use it as a USB-DAC, but if you just give it the files, it can play them? That might be adequate. It really might be the perfect solution for everything.

Let me see if I can help you save a little time there:

OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray Disc Player

Oppo officially announces BDP-93 Blu-ray player, shows off full specs -- Engadget HD

It hasn't been long since Oppo's well-received BDP-83 made its debut, but now it's gone, and the company has fleshed out details on the successor to the throne, the BDP-93. say hello to another universal player, now updated with Blu-ray 3D and streaming access to Netflix and Blockbuster over WiFi N.

There's two HDMI 1.4a outputs in case your receiver isn't 3D passthrough ready, an eSATA port for playback from hard drives and two USB ports.

Retail price? $499. If this is the player you've been waiting for you're probably already on the list, but if not click the source link for a full list of specs on Oppo's site and to register for notification when it goes on sale "soon."

I'm on the list myself.

This might turn some heads around here:

Official OPPO BDP-93 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum

^^ I know this poster well. You can take his word to the bank. I practically wonder if he works for Oppo but he's certainly been a long time beta tester, loyalist and I guess quasi insider. Bottom line: Very credible.

This could end up being an attractive all in one for a number of folks at this rate.

I recommend registering here if you're interested in buying this player.

Interested. Register'd.

Wow FLAC and Wav support. Does it accept ntfs file systems or still limited to FAT32? eSATA I would need a new mainboard to accept I suppose?

Good question.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19461718#post19461718

Everyone should just keep an eye on the very first post of that thread because the OP constantly updates it as the "go to FAQs" for the player.

Here's one thing I saw in there that might hopefully answer your question or at least give you a little more to work with:

eSATA Port – The BDP-93 features an eSATA port on its back panel. Consumers can take advantage of this fast eSATA connection to play contents from their hard disks full of audio, video and photo files. Most commercially available hard disks pre-formatted with NTFS, FAT32 and FAT file systems are supported, and file sizes larger than 4GB can be played back.
I could be reading this wrong but I would have figured they would have kept this thing as wide open and mainstream as possible for a lot of users and I think that's what that says to me and that you and pretty much everyone else should be good to go right out of the box.

I've been reading through that thread on AVS, and like others I am most curious as to the browsing mechanism for FLAC files. It would only be feasible to hook up a huge ass HD if A) the browsing is easy and somewhat slick and B) the files are presented in order. Some non-computer file systems choose to display files in whatever the hell kind of order they want to. This could put a serious damper on usability. Based on Oppo's past record of excellence I'm assuming this won't be the case, I'm just throwing the possiblity out there.

I'm excited by the 93 because, even after years of use and upgrading to the Touch, I'm just not a fan of the Squeezebox user experience. Functionally its amazing, and thats why I use it, but I don't like the browsing compared to say, browsing on foobar. Browsing on a computer is just so much faster. I also don't like trying to look at the small squeezebox screen from my couch. The iPeng iPhone program helps with this, and its come a long way, but it still has some bugs that occasionally hamper usability.

I would love just a simple file structure I could quickly scroll through with my remote viewable on my TV. That would be pretty cool.

Edited by postjack

I've been reading through that thread on AVS, and like others I am most curious as to the browsing mechanism for FLAC files. It would only be feasible to hook up a huge ass HD if A) the browsing is easy and somewhat slick and B) the files are presented in order. Some non-computer file systems choose to display files in whatever the hell kind of order they want to. This could put a serious damper on usability. Based on Oppo's past record of excellence I'm assuming this won't be the case, I'm just throwing the possiblity out there.

I'm excited by the 93 because, even after years of use and upgrading to the Touch, I'm just not a fan of the Squeezebox user experience. Functionally its amazing, and thats why I use it, but I don't like the browsing compared to say, browsing on foobar. Browsing on a computer is just so much faster. I also don't like trying to look at the small squeezebox screen from my couch. The iPeng iPhone program helps with this, and its come a long way, but it still has some bugs that occasionally hamper usability.

I would love just a simple file structure I could quickly scroll through with my remote viewable on my TV. That would be pretty cool.

You, me, and everyone else wants to know that as well. Interface is going to be very important. Given Oppo's track record, I think the odds are good that it'll be something fairly simple and intuitive along the lines of what you're talking about. A lot of folks will want to use this as an all purpose audio machine even without a TV or monitor always on as well so these are the kinds of details we're all all waiting to learn more about.

Any predictions (or knowledge would be fine, too) as to whether or not there will be an upgrade package again, like with the -83 to the -83SE? That ended up working out real well for me.

You mean for the forthcoming 93 to a a theoretical but almost assured 93SE? No idea but typically if Oppo has success with something they tend to repeat it.

I can't imagine why they wouldn't since they come out the ultimate winner on that setup.

Past this, I don't know if they'd give current 83 owners like myself a perk considering I just got the email offering me early purchase. I have 5 days to decide.

Thank you for signing up to receive information about our upcoming OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray Disc Player. We appreciate your interest and would like to offer you the opportunity to purchase it before we officially release it to the general public.

Based and expanded upon our award-winning BDP-83 Blu-ray player, the BDP-93 adds 3D Blu-ray support, internet streaming (Netflix, Blockbuster), dual-HDMI outputs, eSATA, and a new video processor with enhanced noise reduction. In order to give OPPO customers the best possible video and audio experience, we continue to work diligently on developing the new BDP-93 player. For more product information, visit:

As we ready the BDP-93 for public release, there is still some work left to be done. The firmware that will be installed on your BDP-93 is a pre-release version - further refinement, tweaking, and bug fixing are still in development. You can also expect additional features, which includes streaming services from various providers, to be added throughout the player's lifecycle. The firmware can be upgraded via the internet, USB, or CD. When you receive your BDP-93, please send any feedback and comments directly to [email protected] - your input can help shape the BDP-93's firmware further.

The retail price for the BDP-93 is $499. The following is a special link for you to place an early order for the BDP-93. We are only offering a limited number of players to be sold for this exclusive pre-release, so please do not share this unique link with anyone else. This link will be available for five days or while supplies last. Limit 1 per customer.

Special link here.

To ensure your complete satisfaction with your purchase, your BDP-93's return period will be extended to 30-days after the BDP-93 is officially released to the general public.

I would be very surprised if the "general public" isn't able to buy this in time for Christmas.

I would be very surprised if the "general public" isn't able to buy this in time for Christmas.

I just got that email as well, and immediately placed me pre-order. I'm hoping that the November 22nd date provided at the special link (i.e., when they expect to begin "fulfillments") will be accurate. But so long as it arrives in Florida before December 6th, I'll be alright.

BTW, since the first sentence in their letter read, "Thank you for signing up to receive information about... BDP-93," I just assumed that was the reason I got this email with the "special link". But I'm also an 83 owner so maybe that's part of what it takes to get in the club?

I dunno. I guess they want to make sure they don't get oversubscribed such that they can't meet everyone's expectations in terms of when the units will ship.

...if Oppo has success with something they tend to repeat it.

I can't imagine why they wouldn't since they come out the ultimate winner on that setup.

That's what I wanted to hear.
I just got the email offering me early purchase.
That's pretty much why I'm asking.

I mean, considering Stereophile just put the Oppo BDP-83SE in their products-of-the-year list, I would think that they would strive to recreate that success story.

Me:

Are there any trade in/upgrade programs for current 83 owners towards this

unit?

Oppo:

Unfortunately we do not have any trade-in, upgrade, or buyback program. So you will need to purchase the player at full retail.

Mildly disappointing but not a surprise. That doesn't rule out an eventual 93 to "93SE" trade up well into next year but the official Oppo line on that potential product is denial. For now. ;)

BDP-95:

MUSICDIRECT - OPPO - BDP-95 UNIVERSAL BLU-RAY PLAYER

OPPO - BDP-95 UNIVERSAL BLU-RAY PLAYER

The New Oppo BDP-95 Universal Blu-ray Player Sets the Standard… Again

Oppo has been hard at work this year. Instead of resting on its laurels and soaking up the incredible praise the BDP-83SE has been showered with, Oppo spent the year with its head down working on the “next best Blu-ray player.” And here it is. The new Oppo BDP-95 is the now the new standard in Blu-ray players under a grand. This new player now streams video (Netflix, Vudu, and others). It will play back 3D material with the level of quality you expect. Oppo added two HDMI outputs.

This is the audiophile version, so Oppo added the newest ESS DAC chipset, which enhanced the sound of the player dramatically. For CD, SACD, and DVD-A playback, the BDP-95 is even tougher to beat. Oppo also added balanced stereo outputs and improved the power supply section with a large toroidal transformer at its core. The video performance also gets big upgrade, as this player upscales DVD better than players twice the price. The BDP-95's native Blu-ray playback is quite simply the industry standard. We expect to start seeing another round of glowing reviews shortly.