To flux or not to flux ...

guzziguy

I think that I'd like to get some flux to make things like tinning wires (in a solder pot) and soldering to connectors, etc. more easy. So could you please answer the following questions:

1. Do you use flux?

2. If so, in what form factor? Paste? Pen? Other?

Thanks for putting up with my total DIY ignorance and for helping me out.

I'm pretty much addicted to the stuff. The stuff I use smells like an Orthodox church, which improves my soldering. Wouldn't do without it for SMD soldering and most TH soldering. That said, there is solder that has a lot of flux present, such as the old non-RoHS WBT solder which is an appropriate substitute I guess.

I'm pretty much addicted to the stuff. The stuff I use smells like an Orthodox church, which improves my soldering. Wouldn't do without it for SMD soldering and most TH soldering. That said, there is solder that has a lot of flux present, such as the old non-RoHS WBT solder which is an appropriate substitute I guess.

You mean that it smells dank and musty? What is this magic flux? ;)

In small, deliberate doses, flux can be a wonderful tool. However, like all tools, there is potential for misuse and abuse. A little goes a long way.

Flux makes tinning wire effortless and can help speed up the soldering process on heat sensitive parts. That alone makes it invaluable.

I prefer liquid in a pin-bottle over paste and pen. Just remember a little goes a long way.

In small, deliberate doses, flux can be a wonderful tool. However, like all tools, there is potential for misuse and abuse. A little goes a long way.

*snip* Just remember a little goes a long way.

True dat, I have fluxed up many a soldering job using too much flux. I have only found the need though when soldering some internal wires to speaker terminals; some terminals just seem to refuse to be soldered.

I have the Kester felt tip pen flux and the kind that comes with a Chipquik kit(syringe), but only use if doing smd or sometimes reflowing a bad joint. Using Rad Shack .022 solder there's always plenty enough there for whatever I'm doing. I've never tried the Rad Shack paste flux, but I do use thier tip tinner and cleaner, and it works very nicely but most definitely does not smell good. Lemme know if you wanna try the Kester pen and I'll send it to ya to try.

Just remember a little goes a long way.

sposored by the makers of Brylcreem.

absolutely love the stuff, I use it everywhere. I use the cardas stuff and since I love SMD, its a godsend. I too love the smell of it, reminds me of the guilty pleasure as a child liking the smell of textas (felt tips). it adds an extra cleaning process ar the end for best appearances, but its well worth it. the cardas is no clean, but leaves some waxy kinda residue that is best cleaned off if you want it looking shmick. effortless shiny smooth joints every time and great for rework.

when I get asked by beginners about recommended tools of the trade, flux is right near the top for me

Actually, any effective tips on cleaning the stuff off the boards? I usually take a hard bristle brush and plenty of isopropyl in a plate to scrub away the residue. The alcohol also leaches away particles off as it runs against the board. But I find this process tedious and time consuming...

This whole discussion is in a state of flux.....

I have had occasion to use it on old wire when normal rosin cored solder just didn't do it.

I don't use it habitually, but there are times like when de-soldering components, when it becomes a necessity.

• 3 months later...

I think that I'd like to get some flux to make things like tinning wires (in a solder pot) and soldering to connectors, etc. more easy. So could you please answer the following questions:

1. Do you use flux?

2. If so, in what form factor? Paste? Pen? Other?

Thanks for putting up with my total DIY ignorance and for helping me out.

1. No.

I have never used extra flux.