Info on "pico POWER Portable Amp"?

socrates63

it's an 18V powered amp (2x9V) in what should be the thinnest enclosure for a 2x9V amp (around 0.7"), machined out of solid aluminum with a battery cover on the bottom instead of end-loading. Length/width will closely match iPhone/touch/classic.

Discrete transistor output buffer, gain switch, ~25 hr battery life with 300mah NIMH batteries

try the other site :)

Justin, always announcing new stuff when he's got enough products to make as it is. ;)

So will this drive K1000? Or is it more for orthos, electrets (K340), and other random hard-to-drive beasts (K240DF, T1, et al)?

Well he's gotta do something with that new enclosure he came up with.

Justin, always announcing new stuff when he's got enough products to make as it is. ;)

So will this drive K1000? Or is it more for orthos, electrets (K340), and other random hard-to-drive beasts (K240DF, T1, et al)?

power output levels are similar to the Gilmore Lite. around 15Vpp, 150mA discrete buffer. so it will definitely power the K1000 better than the regular Pico, which is limited to 8Vpp output. but, it's still a portable amp. the goal was to make the smallest 2x9V amp. "hard to drive" is more in the context of portable use, so think like Senn HD800, AKG K701

Why did you choose to go with nimh 9v instead of Li On polymer as in the pico slim? Getting around 18 would require 5x 3.7v batteries and for the same space of 2x9v you could get a nice increase in capacity. I understand it would cost quite a bit more, and would require more sophisticated charging circuitry(which you probably have from the other pico amps).

Also, will it charge the batteries or have the option for dc power?

I understand it would cost quite a bit more

this

and would require more sophisticated charging circuitry

and this

Also, will it charge the batteries or have the option for dc power?

No

I wanted to keep this simple and not need rail splitter circuitry. also, charging = DC Adapter needed. making it a high voltage li-po amp w/ good charging capabilities would easily add 50% to the cost to make the amp. and i have yet to make a portable amp that allows batteries to be changed, which some people like

Later on I imagine this amp combined with the new 24/96 USB DAC in a slightly bigger form factor, it would be a worthwhile replacement for the Pico AMP/DAC.

probably not, at least not in a 2x9V amp. a replacement for the Pico DAC/Amp would likely be very similar to the current formula but w/ the 24/96 USB DAC and 2-piece style enclosure (this is probably 1-2 years off)

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought the first used one that came up from the other site and have been very impressed with it. For its size, I doubt that you can do any better. Work great with my JH13pro as well as my R10 & Qualia. I'm still debating which is better b/w my Pocket Reference and Pico (likly the Pocket Ref by a hair). For reference, the Pico Power is 1/3 the size of my Pocket Reference.

Bought a well priced rechargeable li-on from Amazon and I get over 30 hours so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Maximal-Power-Combo-MaximalPower-Rechargebale/dp/B007VIZRAW/ref=pd_sim_e_3

Edited by purk

• 2 months later...

Anyone have any opinion on MaximalPower (see Purk's ^ post) vs. HiTech (600mAh)?  Should I just stick with the one that 25 Amazon customers rated at 4.6 and is cheaper?  Or should I go for that additional 50mAh, and the less non-black?

Purk, how is yours standing up?  The best performance is always with the first charge, in my experience.

• 1 year later...

Anyone have any opinion on MaximalPower (see Purk's ^ post) vs. HiTech (600mAh)?  Should I just stick with the one that 25 Amazon customers rated at 4.6 and is cheaper?  Or should I go for that additional 50mAh, and the less non-black?

Purk, how is yours standing up?  The best performance is always with the first charge, in my experience.

I don't use it a whole lot Dusty but the Maximal Power is very good at holding charge.  550 mah is plenty enough (over 30 hours of run time), but you may want to get the 600 mAH if the available voltage is higher than 7.4 V which is the rated volatge on the 550 mah version.  The Maximal power is a very good product.

Edited by purk