Head-Case last.fm group

deepak

• 1 year later...

You had it working before ? Maybe you got the beta and the plugin isn't working yet.

I have 1.1.10, which I do not believe is a beta, but I think the plugin doesn't work for this version anyways.

You can install the foo_audioscrobbler plugin.

I did, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I went and checked "enable scrobbler" in tools and entered my info.

I have 1.1.10, which I do not believe is a beta, but I think the plugin doesn't work for this version anyways.

I did, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I went and checked "enable scrobbler" in tools and entered my info.

I am on 1.1.9 and it works.

Even between "big" upgrades like .9 -> 1 the plugin never needed to be updated.

• 11 years later...

I don’t know if anyone still uses last.fm, but this year they did a cool visualization for when you listened to music the most. Time of day across a line representing listens for each of the 52 weeks. Looks like a personalized Joy Division cover. 

IMG_8058.jpeg

• Like 3

I still use last.fm, as I have for nearly 20 years at this point.  I greatly dislike the "year in review" crap that every platform shits out these days.  The Photos app on my fricken iPhone (as well as the one on my Macintop) wanted to show me what images I'd taken with my phone with horrid music playing.  Ugh.  Steam wanted to tell me a bunch of things I already knew.  With all of this said, I did look at my last.fm yearly roundup.  Most of it is a silly flash animation.  They make some album cover mosaics that are too low resolution to be useful.  This is my top 25 of 2023:

TTUMB4U.png

Nice postage stamp collection.

jYjeaZu.png

This is a bit more useful I guess?  The largest part of my music listening comes from SomaFM's Synphaera Radio station, which is based on the excellent record label of the same name.  Synphaera is one of the best ambient labels I've ever encountered, they're constantly putting out new material, and they're based in Los Angeles.  Their sublabels (Exosphere in particular) are also top notch.  I often espouse that most good ambient music came out of Europe in the mid 1990s and the Synphaera collective prove that there is in fact plenty of great ambient coming out right now.

The facet of my musical listening is decidedly different in tone.  I used the last.fm rolling 365 day chart to see what my top 50 albums of 2023 were:

1 Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick
Florida Man makes legendary death metal, 1991.

2 Iniquity - Iniquity Bloody Iniquity
Relatively obscure Danish technical death metal.  Iniquity were virtually unknown until a "growl karaoke" flash animation went viral in 2001. 

The singer and guitarist of the band commented on the video and said that this single animation did more for their career than everything else combined. 

3 Alcest - Les Voyages De L'âme
A French guy combines shoegaze and black metal to spectacular results.  "Blackgaze" is a bonafide genre at this point.

4 Death - Individual Thought Patterns
One of the lesser albums by The definitive article Florida death metal band.  It's still better than nearly everything else out there.

5 Massacre - From Beyond
A one-off from 1991 made up of ex members from Death, above.

6 The Beatles - Abbey Road
No explanation needed.  I prefer it to the sprawling mess that is the white album, even if the latter actually has better music on it.

7 Alcest - Écailles de lune
More cheese eating surrender gaze.

8 Burzum - Det Som Engang Var
The definitive black metal blueprint made by the #1 church burning, bandmate murdering, blatantly racist assclown Varg Vikernes ...who also happens to be a musical savant.  He's both the goat and GOAT of the genre.

9 W.A.S.P. - Inside The Electric Circus
"Restless Gypsy" is one of the best hard rock songs from the 1980s or any decade, I swear.

10 A-Kara - Back To Samsara
Really good psy-chill for when my head isn't in the mood for metal.

11 Dynatron - The Legacy Collection, Vol II
Balls-to-the-wall synthwave.  A re-imagining of the 1980s as something far cooler than it actually was.

12 ZOMBIE HYPERDRIVE - Hyperion
As above.

13 The Beatles - The Beatles
Possibly the greatest rock n roll album of all time, or at least it would be if it were two separate albums assembled in some sane order.  The Beatles are the Canon 85mm F/1.2L/Tapatio/Ardbeg Uigeadail/Citizen Kane of rock n roll.

14 Burzum - Hvis lyset tar oss
That damn Norwegian is back.  This album was recorded before he went to jail (for murdering his bandmate) but released after. It's still in the running for the best thing he ever did.  Tomhet, the closer, is Varg's first go at dungeon synth (black metal ambient).  It's brilliant.

15 Napalm Death - Scum
The blueprint for grindcore.  You suffer, but why?

16 Occams Laser - Ascension
More badass synthwave.

17 Burzum - Belus
2010.  Varg is now out of jail and decides to do more black metal.  "Kaimadalthas' Nedstigning" is so spookily good, one has to wonder how he comes up with this stuff.

18 Morbid Angel - Covenant
Considered by the death metal cognoscenti to be the band's greatest work.  I suspect they're right.

19 Cradle of Filth - The Principle of Evil Made Flesh
Black metal, goth metal, "post death" metal.  CoF are popular to mock these days, but their 1993 debut is timeless.

20 Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
I'm biased toward this one because I bought it the week it came out in 1989.  I re-bought it on CD when I got my first CDP a year later.

21 Alcest - Souvenirs d'un autre monde
Please, no more French jokes.

22 Eat Static - Dead Planet
A spawling 4 hour epic from Merv Pepler operating as a one piece.  My favorite Eat Static is from 1993 or so when they had 3 blokes in the studio, but Merv on his own is no slouch.

23 Fourth Dimension - Voyager
Deep ambient from Synphaera.

24 Motörhead - No Remorse
No explanation needed.

25 Kyuss - Sky Valley
"Stoner rock" is the dumbest name for a genre ever.  Kyuss more or less invented it whole cloth and never used the term.  Josh Homme is and always has been an absolute jackass.  His guitar tone on this album is legendary.

26 Napalm Death - From Enslavement to Obliteration
More grindcore.

27 Vinnie Paz - Burn Everything That Bears Your Name
Bless his heart, Vinnie Paz is a character.  I dislike nearly everything he's done.

28 Blue Planet Corporation - A Blueprint For Survival
Gorgeous, lush, melodic French psytrance.

29 Björk - Debut
I have no idea how this got on to the list. 

30 L.S.G. - Double Vision
Oliver Lieb is my favorite electronic music producer of all time.  This double album precisely exemplifies why.

31 Vinnie Paz - As Above So Below
Occasionally hits on something amazing.  The Gone Away World was the best hip hop track I heard in 2020.

32 W.A.S.P. - The Last Command
33 W.A.S.P. - W.A.S.P.
They were the best hard rock/glam rock/call it what you will band for a short period of time in the first half of the 1980s.

34 Žagar - My Night Your Day
Hungary is a cultural mecca of oddball electronic music and few acts exemplify that better than Zagar.

35 Burzum - In the Arms of Darkness
A somewhat sprawling collection of Varg's greatest hits.

36 Edge of Motion - Ad Hoc
A rather obscure IDM album from 1996 made by a pair of Netherlanders.  It's has aged spectacularly well.

37 Trisomie 21 - Chapter IV & Wait And Dance Remixed
The French have invaded again.  This time it's mid 80s goth rock.

38 Martin Stürtzer - Far Beyond the Stars
One German fella, a small army of synths (and one very well behaved synthcat!) making spacey ambient music.  Martin is the best.

39 Julian Maier-Hauff - Forest for Rest
Progressive minimal dancefloor music that I actually like.  Lightning in a bottle.

40 The Knife - The Best of The Knife
Not a real release, but a compilation I made in 2006 when I was obsessed with The Knife.

41 Burzum - Hliðskjálf
Varg goes full on dungeon synth.  It's a mixed album, but so much better than the wretched Dauði Baldrs that it wins by default.

42 E-Mantra - Arcana
Goa/psy-chill that's never annoying.

43 Iniquity - Serenadium
More Danish tech-death.

44 Cradle of Filth - Cruelty and the Beast
You know, the first three CoF albums are all quite good.

45 Keep Shelly In Athens - At Home
My favorite chillwave.

46 Ascendant - Meridian [EX]
More Synphaera ambient.

47 Astronaut Ape - Deep
Russian psychill producer does an ambient album and lives up to the stereotype of his peers (it's great.)

48 Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun
The only flaw with this album is that it will always exist in the shadow of what followed it.  If Sky Valley didn't exist, Blues would be legendary.

49 Shpongle - Live In Concert At The Roundhouse London 2008
50 Shpongle - Live in London
Simon Potsford et al do a couple live gigs.  They're a lot of fun.

• Like 1