New DAC in Town

tyrion

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop posting long enough to read the welcome PM you received.

Ah, you mean the bit where it says ' shut up and read for a while before posting' ? :rolleyes:

Well, been doing that for a few days, so I might continue and see how I fit in.

This Dac reminds me of my current favourite. Been in my small system for a while

Matrix Mini-I - Headphonista Magazine

Good soundstage depth, slightly analogy sound, punches above its weight. Be interested to make a comparison.

Ah, you mean the bit where it says ' shut up and read for a while before posting' ? :rolleyes:

Well, been doing that for a few days, so I might continue and see how I fit in.

This Dac reminds me of my current favourite. Been in my small system for a while

Matrix Mini-I - Headphonista Magazine

Good soundstage depth, slightly analogy sound, punches above its weight. Be interested to make a comparison.

both use the AD1955 chip too.

Are the Bel Canto DACs actually any good? I haven't read much about them. Someone needs to buy one! ;)

I own a Dac3 and Alex had one. I think they were grossly over priced at anything approaching retail, but are a good value at their current street price. I have only owned three d/a converters so I don't have the experience to accurately judge, but I find it to be neutral and musical albeit with some digital etch to the sound.

Is the HDP delta sigma?

Nuforce Icon HDP maybe?

I'd be pretty shocked if that thing was R2R.

I don't see a specification on that but I'd be very surprised if it employed an R-2R dac; it sure looks like what I'd expect in a delta-sigma dac based product when I look at the boards.

The HDP uses a Delta-Sigma DAC, but I'm not allowed to reveal which chip they use (until they are ready or able to release that info).

My view is that he used that as an excuse to attempt to demonstrate that he's an important, inside guy. What use is that information without knowing which chip it is? Also, if he's not supposed to tell, why tell anything?

A better approach would have been to point out this thread to the manufacturer and have them answer it. Of course then we wouldn't know how important he is, which leads back to the question of the purpose of the post.

Larry asks why he doesn't seem to fit in here. It's posts like these that are a large part of the problem. Most people at HC don't care if someone has inside information or not. It doesn't make one important here.

I'm not trying to come down hard on Larry, just trying to give him an idea of his problem. He did ask recently so I hope that he really wants to know.

Edited by guzziguy