New DAC in Town

tyrion

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you sign an NDA?

I made a promise to them, nothing signed, but my word means something (not that I'm saying you asked me to break my word).

Well to be fair, he did confirm that it uses a Delta-Sigma DAC, which was one of the original questions.

Exactly, people were speculating on Sigma Delta, R 2R and such, and I thought I could help.

GuzziGuy, I'm not trying to show off anything, this is just another example of my posts being picked apart in ways I hadn't expected, because I didn't sit down and hire an editor to look at my poor choice of words. PS: I am simply a beta tester for them, nothing more, nothing special. I didn't claim to be. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

• 2 weeks later...

Some people are getting emails to pay for their orders. I was just told my email should arrive today. The shipments will likely not go out until 11/24/10 at the earliest as that is the date the first batch arrives. I really need a decent source since my Amarra 4 is out for repair. Hopefully, the XDA-1 will be meet the criteria of at least being decent and hold me over until the Amarra 4 returns.

in on one of these.

As you all know I don't know much about equipment and just like to listen to music... S

So here's a question.

If this thing has a digital pre-amp is it possible to run it in a line-level output(I think that's the term) to a headphone amp/analogue pre-amplifier by passing the built in digital preamp?

From the product page at Emotiva...

•Nominal Output Voltage: 1V RMS

•Peak Output Voltage: > 12VRMS (balanced)

...the description of the thing says the fully discrete output stage is 2A/12V capable, and I spy only one pair each of balanced and unbalanced output jacks. One would assume(reference SNL skit) that in order to see a standard line level output of ~2V would require some digital attenuation. Cranking the volume to full would no doubt be considered "hot." What, probably ~6V peak unbalanced.

Ack. I missed that 12VRMS peak output spec. Can definitely be considered "hot" for a pre-amp/dac, eh?

From the product page at Emotiva...

•Nominal Output Voltage: 1V RMS

•Peak Output Voltage: > 12VRMS (balanced)

...the description of the thing says the fully discrete output stage is 2A/12V capable, and I spy only one pair each of balanced and unbalanced output jacks. One would assume(reference SNL skit) that in order to see a standard line level output of ~2V would require some digital attenuation. Cranking the volume to full would no doubt be considered "hot." What, probably ~6V peak unbalanced.

12V, mother frack, good luck using that with any headphone amp. Let us hope that the digital attenuation does not adversely affect things or that there is a setting to bypass whatever provides that much gain on the output side. I mean sweet Jebus, I have issues with 2V single-ended sources, not to mention 6V.

• 2 weeks later...

just spoke with janna at emotiva. a certain number of people who have been contacted already will receive the dac this year. those of us who preordered but did not give payment info fast enough will be informed of the shipping date next financial quarter. i dont see this dac getting to me anytime before next summer at the very least. thought i was going to get it now and preemptively sold my gamma 2 dac :( now no dac. should i just buy something else and forget about the emotiva dac?

Crappy, if you need a DAC to get you buy I can loan you one in about a ten days. It is not an expensive unit but for the money it sounds very good. Shoot me a PM if interested, I could take it with me to the Tampa meet or we can meet in about 10 days (Aaron is shipping the DAC I loaned him). Cheers.

nate, i didnt want to have two dac's around (even though i should have kept the gamma around for comparison and sold the "loser"). meh. gamma 2's are readily available so not terribly hard to secure.

janna called me back when i was in class and left me a voicemail saying that she confused me with the other anurag that had also placed an order (...eh? more people named anurag?) and my dac will ship tomorrow or day after but the other guys will not. basically confirmed what mike posted earlier in the day.

now this pico dac deal...hmm