New DAC in Town

tyrion

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish not all buttons were lit-up. I think that just makes it too busy looking.

x2. So far have liked Emotivas sound and disliked their 'high-tech' goofy home theater stylin'. Even used to reverse the RPA-2 amp because I preferred to look at input/outputs rather than the bright blue lights.

Is that something that can be easily upgraded with a drop-in chipsy?

That's something that should have been in the "discrete output stage". Probably the biggest single benefit of a discrete stage is to handle the I/V, preferably without feedback (IMHO). Not sure why they tout a discrete stage that is basically a buffer. Oh I guess it is also a preamp with volume control.

EDIT: for $299, a lot of value here though... you can't have everything at a low price

Edited by Pars

Is that something that can be easily upgraded with a drop-in chipsy?

Probably. I'll think about a recommendation on that one.

That's something that should have been in the "discrete output stage". Probably the biggest single benefit of a discrete stage is to handle the I/V, preferably without feedback (IMHO). Not sure why they tout a discrete stage that is basically a buffer. Oh I guess it is also a preamp with volume control.

EDIT: for $299, a lot of value here though... you can't have everything at a low price

Current steering amp w/o feedback probably would have been costly on the R/D side, especially if they wanted nice numbers for the specs as it would have required pretty heroic EC; probably not practicable.